News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Sherma

Re: "Secret Weapon of the Putting Game"
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2012, 10:56:28 AM »
Dan,

There's no consistency.

Sometimes my putting with the short putter was very good, but there was no predicting when it would go bad.

When you're reluctant to stroke a two footer because you're afraid of it, nothing good can follow.

With the long putter, I'm not fearful, I step up and make a pretty decent stroke, usually with great results.

When you've four putted from 8 feet, you know that you need to try an alternative method.

I'm content with my long putter although it's a lot harder to use from off the green or of you're up against the collar.

Patrick - very similar story for me. I use a broomstick not because I putt any better than I do with a short putter on the good days, but because I don't putt nearly as badly on the bad days. I started to get to the point with a short putter where I had no real confidence that I was lined up propoerly and would just get into funks where it seemed like it was just luck whether or not a four or five footer would hit the hole. With the long putter I feel like I can get it on line more consistently. Some days are good, some are just ok, rarely do I have any horror show days with the broomstick. I will say that I don't really hit the scorching hot days like I used to, but that might be more about getting older rather than the putting method.

David_Tepper

« Reply #51 on: October 26, 2012, 11:59:22 AM »
Have any of you using a long putter experimented using it "side-saddle," as Randy Haag does? If so, have you had any luck with it? 

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2012, 12:22:13 PM »
Have any of you using a long putter experimented using it "side-saddle," as Randy Haag does? If so, have you had any luck with it? 

I don't use the long putter, but I have a very long and very upright belly putter that I plan to cut down and experiment with this winter.  I've never tried face-on, but it makes perfect sense to me.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Mike McGuire

« Reply #53 on: October 26, 2012, 01:21:36 PM »

I have been putting mostly side saddle for over 20 years. Last couple years went back to conventional. I putt almost exactly like Randy Haag.

It works great. Usually you can tell right away if its for you or not. Doesn't have to be a long putter. Mine is <40 inches but Snead did it with a regular length bullseye. Just have to bend over a bit more.

Most people think its hard to control speed but I think thats the real benefit. Using just your dominant arm is more natural than rocking your shoulders for touch. Like throwing a ball underhand.

I am surprised more people dont use the method.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #54 on: October 26, 2012, 01:34:08 PM »

I don't use the long putter, but I have a very long and very upright belly putter that I plan to cut down and experiment with this winter.  I've never tried face-on, but it makes perfect sense to me.

I tried it with my long putter last weekend after seeing the Randy Haag video. It didn't work for me, but I might do better with a shorter putter -- maybe a belly putter. After the discussion here that anchored putting may soon be banned, I also experimented with holding the long putter a couple of inches away from my chest. Much more promising.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Mike McGuire

« Reply #55 on: October 26, 2012, 01:52:44 PM »
Only certain putters work well. Need something as upright as possible.

I use "The Thing". Its the one Paul Azinger used to win the PGA (I think)

The shape of the head allows me to let it hang vertical. Now you let the club swing in a  pure pendulum motion. Plus its tiny so easy to not hit myself in the foot.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #56 on: October 26, 2012, 02:39:39 PM »

This Thing?

My collection of Majors videotapes should answer your "(I think)."

If I had to bet, I'd bet he didn't use The Thing at the PGA he won.

But, of course, I don't have to bet!
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mike McGuire

« Reply #57 on: October 26, 2012, 03:25:24 PM »
Thats it.  Mine is solid brass - no insert.

If you see it on film let me know - 1993

David_Tepper

« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2012, 09:51:46 PM »
Looks like some sort of ban is working its way thru "the system." Personally, I find the notion of banning the belly putter, but not the broomstick putter kind of funny, as the stroke & stance using a belly putter is far more in the so-called "tradition/spirit of the game" than the broomstick.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/golf/europeantour/9637987/Europes-top-golfers-consulted-on-belly-putter-ban.html

Ken Moum

« Reply #59 on: October 29, 2012, 02:43:53 PM »
Only certain putters work well. Need something as upright as possible.

The shape of the head allows me to let it hang vertical. Now you let the club swing in a  pure pendulum motion. Plus its tiny so easy to not hit myself in the foot.

I can find a few references to that putter and the 1993 PGA, so I think you are correct.

FWIW, it was made by Natural Golf.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Natural-Golf-Thing-Football-Shaped-Brass-Putter-Rare-Collectible-/140874671397?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20ccc8e525

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back