News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

Indoor Golf Simulators
« on: October 10, 2012, 12:30:08 PM »
Has anyone's club or course installed a golf simulator within their clubhouse?

My club as a somewhat unused room ( used to be a downstairs bar/lounge  :-\ ) that has high ceilings and could potentially accommodate a golf simulator. Our rationale is to take what is now an underutilized room and make it a winter attraction at the club in a place where the off-season is from November to March.

Candidly, I have almost zero experience with them and a Google search came back with too many options to get a good idea of the true cost and set-up requirements. Does anyone have experience with a particular simulator that they like? Any advice prior to completing such a set-up?

If you're course or club has one, how has it gone over with the club membership? Does the club charge for usage? Add a usage fee/membership?
H.P.S.

Jason Topp

Re: Indoor Golf Simulators
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 03:52:18 PM »
We had a very low end system last year called Opti-Shot and held a winter league consisting of 10 9 hole rounds.  The system does not carry many bells and whistles but it only costs about $300 and requires a computer and a net.  We paid a fee to play in the league but I suspect that money all went into the prize fund. 

If you wanted to look at high end setups a store called Inside Edge in Eden Prairie is state of the art - http://insideedgegolf.com/.
Hazeltine has an elaborate setup and Bunker Hills has a room for indoor golf that is not extravagent but gets good reviews.

I suspect T&C would make back the cost in drink sales very quickly if it went the Opti-shot route and took drink orders from the room.

Jim Johnson

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 04:16:32 PM »
Hi Pat,

This is one of my businesses ...
www.firsttee.ca

IM me if you'd like more info on these.

Jim

Josh Tarble

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 04:43:21 PM »
There is a shop that has an extremely high end system that I've played on a few times.  It's pretty amazing how realistic it is, not to mention it's incredibly fun.

It looks like the system is called SimSurround:
http://www.aboutgolf.com/products/simsurround/

I'd have to guess that members would be willing to pay a small fee and you'd probably recoup the cost in no time.

John McCarthy

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2012, 04:51:23 PM »
I took a lesson last year at Play18 in Chicago.  It is open to the public if you want to check it out. 

http://play18chicago.com/

The setup was fantastic.  The feedback you get on distance, sidespin, etc. really drove home many points.   I'm sure the pro would love to be able to give lessons inside all winter. 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 06:35:26 PM »
Pat,

There's also a place on Highway 7 in Minnetonka called the Bunker that has simulator golf.

I didn't see it when I was there, but my understanding is that Brackett's Crossing in Lakeville has a simulator.

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 08:37:33 PM »
Pat,
Nassau CC put one in their halfway house during the last 2 winters. I am unsure of what the system is. The members can reserve hours atba timet. You make putting easy and the round quicker by setting gimmies to about 8 feet. The members seem to really like it. It is hard to get a reservation, specially on the weekends.

Mike McGuire

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 10:05:11 PM »
If your in the north your pros can use it to give lessons in the winter.

PCCraig

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 08:37:21 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I generally think it makes sense, and it seems the professional staff is on board, but like anything it would come down to talking the club into a) using clubhouse space for more golf operations, and b) the set-up costs. Even though I know that a system would probably pay itself back in a couple winters in Minnesota, it's being able to prove and put some numbers together in order to put together a proper proposal.
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 11:58:31 AM »
H.P.S.

Eric Smith

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2012, 03:31:07 PM »
I played on a simulator at a sports bar not too long ago made by trugolf. I have to admit, it was a damn good time!

JESII

« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2012, 04:41:52 PM »
Eric,

Do you remember what you paid?

Eric Smith

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2012, 05:38:04 PM »
Eric,

Do you remember what you paid?

We played for a couple hours @$25 per. + many many beers. ;D

Eric Smith

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2012, 05:43:32 PM »
Btw Jim, that was the use/time rate, not a per person.

Keith OHalloran

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2012, 05:46:46 PM »
Eric,
Did the patrons look at you funny when you walked in with Trues and a Mackenzie bag?

Eric Smith

« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 07:31:43 PM »
Eric,
Did the patrons look at you funny when you walked in with Trues and a Mackenzie bag?

I think they were mostly surprised that I had a caddie carrying it!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back