News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Morrow

Re: Regrets
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2012, 10:18:04 PM »
I already regret I had to back out of next month's Dixie Cup.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2012, 10:54:55 PM »
I have two.

Was invited to play in the North/South and declined so I could go to Las Vegas for a wild weekend.  The weekend was just OK.

One year while I was in college a good friend invited me to go to the Masters, stay in a members home and play Augusta on the following Monday.  In all honesty, I couldn't afford it so I declined.

JC Urbina

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2012, 11:34:41 PM »
Once when I was finishing up a 10 day consulting trip in the Bay Area, I got a call from a very nice friend who lives in SF who offered some golf if I stuck around.  I was in the SFO airport waiting for my plane.  What would you have done?

The Offer:  Cypress, Pebble and Spanish Bay all expenses paid including a house on the shores of the Pacific.

I still remember telling him sorry,  maybe next time for which I knew would never happen again.  I then proceeded to cry.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2012, 01:29:52 AM »
For a number of years I received an invitation to play in King Hassan's tournament at the Royal Dar es Salam Golf Club in Rabat. Unfortunately I had to decline for a few years; when my wife expressed a desire to go to Morocco I waited anxiously for our annual invitation. It never came.

There is a good look at the course on You Tube. It seems more like a botanical garden than a  serious test of golf but the pros never chewed it up

Bob

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2012, 02:16:26 AM »
Bill - we should invite Leo Barber as well, he is still reeling from a little "choke" on 18 at Paraparaumu Beach!!
Cave Nil Vino

Leo Barber

« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2012, 05:25:28 AM »
Bill - we should invite Leo Barber as well, he is still reeling from a little "choke" on 18 at Paraparaumu Beach!!

Such an unfortunate term.  It was still only a half wasn't it Mark??  The away match at RCP awaits May 2013

Howard Riefs

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2012, 07:58:01 AM »
I already regret I had to back out of next month's Dixie Cup.

+1
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2012, 08:00:11 AM »
Riefs' Streamsong Spring 2013 trip...

Jason Topp

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2012, 08:30:10 AM »
I turned down a last minute invite to Merion in 1991 because my girlfriend was coming to visit me in New York.  I don't regret the decision.  We celebrate out 20th anniversary in a few weeks. 

David Davis

« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2012, 08:37:21 AM »
I've shared this story before but I bought a new airline ticket back to Europe for $1500 I didn't have in order to extend my stay in Carmel by one day to play Cypress. Best $1500 I ever spent.

That was my best, almost regret. No further regrets, although there is this one woman with her two girlfriends...BUT that's a story for the 19th hole I suppose, we all make mistakes.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

JC Jones

« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2012, 09:23:18 AM »
I once turned down a round at Shinnecock with my favorite Long Islander because I was going on vacation with the family that day.

No regrets and I've not yet received another invite.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2012, 11:05:08 AM »
I've passed up Friars head due to late notice.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Matt Ingraham

« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2012, 11:34:28 AM »
I passed up playing Cypress Point because it didn't fit my travel plans.

Oak Hill because of family obligations.

LACC & Merion because of short notice.

Please let me know others have made poor decisions as well!

Wow!  I have already told my wife that should I ever get an invite to the Sand Hills, I am getting in my car and driving to Mullen no matter what is on the schedule. 

Doug Wright

« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2012, 11:41:44 AM »
I passed up a  client's invitation in the late 1980s to play a round of golf with a "very good college golfer." Turns out it was Annika Sorenstam.

I've also regretted being unable to make a King's Putter yet. Hope to rectify that someday...
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Bill_McBride

« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2012, 12:25:44 PM »

Such an unfortunate term.  It was still only a half wasn't it Mark??  The away match at RCP awaits May 2013

Chappers brings out the best worst in his polenta, intimidating bloke. 

Terry Lavin

« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2012, 12:39:31 PM »
Regrets?  I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2012, 12:48:32 PM »
I may have one in a few weeks, as ASGCA is doing a joint tour with the EIGCA and Aussies to play National, Baltusrol, Bethpage and Maidstone.  Not sure if Shinny is on the list.  I have walked or played them all, but what a great golf tour.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2012, 12:51:37 PM »
A round of golf with Arnold Palmer.

I hope I'm never that shortsighted again!

We have a winner!

I can't compete with that.
Sheep Ranch, 2005 trip to Bandon.

Steve Strasheim

« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2012, 01:06:38 PM »
Playing regret:

Not making it to North Berwick last summer when we were in the area.

Architecture regret:

Not getting a course tour from Dick when I visited him at the Sandhills construction site.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2012, 01:10:56 PM »
Once when I was finishing up a 10 day consulting trip in the Bay Area, I got a call from a very nice friend who lives in SF who offered some golf if I stuck around.  I was in the SFO airport waiting for my plane.  What would you have done?

The Offer:  Cypress, Pebble and Spanish Bay all expenses paid including a house on the shores of the Pacific.

I still remember telling him sorry,  maybe next time for which I knew would never happen again.  I then proceeded to cry.

Jim-this story leaves me feeling slightly better about the one time I got to play at Cypress Pt. My teacher at the time got an invite from the assistant pro. For some reason, I felt it necessary to attend to an 'urgent' client matter in my office in San Francisco before leaving for Monterey Peninsula... As a result, I did not leave work until about 3pm.

By the time I got to the course, there was only enough daylight for nine holes..

The Front 9.

Next!

Dan Kelly

« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2012, 02:03:42 PM »
September 1996.

Mullen, Nebraska

Didn't understand the arrangements at Sand Hills. Didn't know you could play all day, from dawn till dusk, for whatever the rate was. ($100, I think.)

Rick Shefchik and I arrived midday, one day; had to leave midday the next.

Played only about 54 holes, if I remember right. Coulda played twice that.

Damn.

Dan
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2012, 04:34:46 AM »
Leo - looking forward to it my friend! Maybe McBride will come over to caddy?

Any of my Deal mates reading this will remind me of the 4up with 4 on TOC and halving or dormy 4 up in the Easter meeting against Ari Techner and losing down 19  :'(
Cave Nil Vino

Scott Warren

« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2012, 05:32:28 AM »
If it makes you feel better, Mark, Ari is a much, much better golfer than you! ;D You both have unconventional swings and Scratch irons, but that's where the similarity ends!

PS -- if it was a nett match, you were almost certainly getting too many shots from him, so it's only right that he rallied to beat you!

Can't personally think of a regret big enough to mention. Biggest is missing Castle Stuart when I roadtripped from London to Dornoch with Whitty and Andrew Mitchell and had to leave a day earlier than them, but really, that's not too much of a regret in the grand scheme of things.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2012, 08:04:46 AM »
For a number of years I received an invitation to play in King Hassan's tournament at the Royal Dar es Salam Golf Club in Rabat. Unfortunately I had to decline for a few years; when my wife expressed a desire to go to Morocco I waited anxiously for our annual invitation. It never came.

There is a good look at the course on You Tube. It seems more like a botanical garden than a  serious test of golf but the pros never chewed it up

Bob,

My dad played in that every year.
He invited me but I declined so he took my brother who eagled one of the harder par 5's.
I think I still have the scorecard.  The gifts given to the contestants, and the entertainment and accomodation's were spectacular.
I regret that you didn't go as I'm sure you and my dad would have become fast friends.

Shane Wright

« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2012, 10:40:55 AM »
I had to pass on Fisher's Island last year.  I just couldn't swing the trip from Minnesota and get back in time for some work and family commitments.  As much as I want to play Fisher's, I'm probably more looking forward to meeting and playing with the person who invited me, which will happen at some point.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back