News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

Golfweek - Best Campus Courses, 2012
« on: September 06, 2012, 12:48:49 PM »
Golfweek released its 2012 list of Best Campus courses:

http://golfweek.com/news/2012/sep/06/golfweeks-best-campus-courses-2012/

Interesting Changes...

Top 5:
- Palouse Ridge GC (now #3) switches spots with Rawls Course (#4)

Up:
- University of Michigan GC jumps from #15 to #9
- Duke Univ GC climbs from #16 to #12
- Kamden (Purdue) moves from #18 to #15

Down:
- University of Georgia GC drops from #8 to #13
- Colbert Hills (Kansas St) plummets from #10 to #18
- University of New Mexico slips from #13 to #16

New:
- University of Maryland GC (#27)

Out:
- Finkbine GC, Univ of Iowa (#27)
« Last Edit: September 06, 2012, 12:53:35 PM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

John Ezekowitz

Re: Golfweek - Best Campus Courses, 2012
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 01:19:02 PM »
I am biased, but I think Springdale GC at Princeton should be on there. I think it is better than RTJ GC at Cornell.

Phil McDade

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 01:57:24 PM »
Hard to believe there are only four university courses better than URidge (which is nowhere near the UW-Madison campus...) ::)

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 02:09:29 PM »
That list reminds me of when Tiger was dominating the PGA between 2000 and 2008 and the gap between him and the 2nd-ranked player in the world was almost comical.

astavrides

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 04:17:51 PM »
I am biased, but I think Springdale GC at Princeton should be on there. I think it is better than RTJ GC at Cornell.

Is Springdale really a 'campus course'?  or is it just a private club adjacent to campus that the golf team plays on?

Michael George

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 05:04:09 PM »
How can Old Town not be ranked?
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 05:27:11 PM »

It's not a Campus course, is it? I think Wake's golf team has access but not all students.

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 05:27:29 PM »
Astavrides,

The History of Springdale and Princeton University Golf are intertwined. The club, while being a separate entity, was the vision of several University Trustees who had the intention of providing a venue for it's golf team as well as cultivating golf as a sport for the students.

This earlier thread should throw more light on the club's founding for you...

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,47442.0.html

Jud_T

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 06:38:55 PM »
Pretty interesting that Michigan jumps 6 spots and the renovations aren't even starting for a year.  Could easily end up in the top 5.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ben Voelker

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 07:23:38 PM »
Does anyone know anything about Rutgers Golf Course?  I am going to move within a mile of it next month, but have never played there.  Is there any reason to make my way over there?

John Ezekowitz

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2012, 07:55:25 PM »

Is Springdale really a 'campus course'?  or is it just a private club adjacent to campus that the golf team plays on?

Adding to what Malcolm said, I have several friends who are students at Princeton who take advantage of the opportunity to play the course for a very low rate.

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2012, 09:16:51 PM »

It's not a Campus course, is it? I think Wake's golf team has access but not all students.
It is not a campus course. It is next to campus. I am not certain but rumor has it that WFU owns the land and the club leases it.

Jason Topp

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 12:47:49 AM »
The ratings numbers for these courses are really low once you get past the top few. 

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 03:08:55 AM »
Does anyone know anything about Rutgers Golf Course?  I am going to move within a mile of it next month, but have never played there.  Is there any reason to make my way over there?

Rutgers course is ok.  Nothing spectacular and very boring.  A few good holes.

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2012, 03:11:36 AM »
I'm surprised Colgate dropped to #23.  I'd put it right up against Duke's course everyday which is ranked 12th.
I have not played many on the list, so I cannot be sure how Colgate stacks up against the rest.  I will say that I'd be surprised to see a collegiate course with better conditioning and a nicer staff - its impossible not to enjoy a round on that course.

PCCraig

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2012, 09:27:55 AM »
Yale looks rightfully safe in it's #1 position.

University Ridge is far too high in my opinion.

I think the Warren Course at ND's rating is low, as I really enjoy the course and think it's extremely well done and fun. 
H.P.S.

David Cronheim

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2012, 09:38:55 AM »
Also admitting my bias as a Cornellian and having over a half dozen Princetonians in the family, I think it's fair to say that Springdale is maintained better, but I do not think the layout is as interesting at the RTJ at Cornell. The irony there, of course, is that Cornell has a turfgrass research center and one on the preeminent Ag schools in the country, but they can't seem to keep the course in great shape. I think a large part of the problem is the shorter growing season and almost constant rain. It's spongy and soft almost all year long (except for the greens which seem to drain disproportionately well compared to the rest of the property). It could use a good tree clearing, but if properly maintained I think it would shine through as one of RTJ's absolute best layouts.
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2012, 10:06:48 AM »
Also admitting my bias as a Cornellian and having over a half dozen Princetonians in the family, I think it's fair to say that Springdale is maintained better, but I do not think the layout is as interesting at the RTJ at Cornell. The irony there, of course, is that Cornell has a turfgrass research center and one on the preeminent Ag schools in the country, but they can't seem to keep the course in great shape. I think a large part of the problem is the shorter growing season and almost constant rain. It's spongy and soft almost all year long (except for the greens which seem to drain disproportionately well compared to the rest of the property). It could use a good tree clearing, but if properly maintained I think it would shine through as one of RTJ's absolute best layouts.

David,

I would agree with what you said.  The back nine at Cornell has the best 9 greens RTJ ever built.  No discussion needed.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2012, 10:30:22 AM »
@Alex
Re: Colgate

Isn't the course "overtreed" or has work been done lately to recify this problem?
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

David Cronheim

« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2012, 10:52:34 AM »

David,

I would agree with what you said.  The back nine at Cornell has the best 9 greens RTJ ever built.  No discussion needed.

Agreed, though I always found the front 9 to be the better, more challenging 9, his green complexes on the back 9 are exceptional. I think the green on #11 may be the best green he ever built.
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2012, 09:37:27 AM »
Could someone remind me why Karsten Creek isn't listed? Not on campus? Is it really that much farther than Yale's course? I played The Rawls yesterday and didn't get the impression I was on campus there either. The UNM course isn't on campus and Notre Dame's is barely adjacent.

In any case, Yale is #1 for a reason. Karsten likely would be #2 if included.

After admitting the homer/alum bias, Notre Dame's course is woefully underrated. Both it and Rawls are good examples of thoughtful courses on less than thrilling property, but ND's land was better than TT and the use of the creek elevates it between those two. The Rawls is probably about as good as it could be, but it might be a little too high currently. Ohio State's course should be credited to Nicklaus more than MacKenzie these days and is incredibly overrated. UNM's is probably underrated now with Kampen about right. I'd play Eisenhower Blue over Kampen or OSU personally.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2012, 01:39:36 PM »

Karsten Creek is not on the list because it not owned by the University, but by a foundation created by Mike Holder (former golf coach now AD) for the use of the men's and women's golf teams and a small membership. University faculty, staff and students can play only if they pony up the $300 that every other member of public does.

It is by far the best public access course in Oklahoma, nobody else is even close.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2012, 02:01:09 PM »
Thanks Craig, that makes more sense. Really good golf course, one way or the other!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2012, 04:22:26 PM »
Seven Oaks (Hamilton)-GLARING omission. Not overtreed in the slightest. Plenty of room to maneuver the ball and has a 1-3 start that is phenomenal (pity it comes so early in the round.) #2 at SO is better than any par three save #9 at Yale.

RTJ@Cornell-Definitely a top 25.

Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Alex Lagowitz

« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2012, 04:38:14 PM »
Seven Oaks (Hamilton)-GLARING omission. Not overtreed in the slightest. Plenty of room to maneuver the ball and has a 1-3 start that is phenomenal (pity it comes so early in the round.) #2 at SO is better than any par three save #9 at Yale.

RTJ@Cornell-Definitely a top 25.

seven oaks was ranked 23

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back