News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Kelly

Re: Native grasses come into their own at Pasatiempo
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2012, 11:31:59 AM »

... but did stop, en route from the car, to watch some play on this hole --

Dan - Where the hell did you have to park?  This is the 5th hole, quite a hike back to Hollins House, I thought you would at least spring for valet parking ...

Was it a different par-3, with a different wild green?

Oh, I see now: It was 18 I was seeing! Is that a wild green, too?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 11:56:59 AM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Mac Plumart

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2012, 11:33:53 AM »
Great stuff, Scott.

Mowing patterns look great.  The native grasses are looking good, but they will be spectacular when they are all grown in.

WOW!!

The course is getting even better.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jackson C

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2012, 11:37:27 AM »
Scott,

Would you expand on your comment that #11 is the perfect amount uphill?
I am curious in hearing your take on it, as I personally feel it is too uphill.

Thanks.
"The secrets that golf reveals to the game's best are secrets those players must discover for themselves."
Christy O'Connor, Sr. (1998)

Mark Provenzano

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2012, 01:16:53 PM »

... but did stop, en route from the car, to watch some play on this hole --

Dan - Where the hell did you have to park?  This is the 5th hole, quite a hike back to Hollins House, I thought you would at least spring for valet parking ...

Was it a different par-3, with a different wild green?

Oh, I see now: It was 18 I was seeing! Is that a wild green, too?

18 is an E-ticket ride as well...

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2012, 01:43:14 PM »
It's not just the right thing to do, it's the only thing they're allowed to do now -- the county told them they couldn't have as much water as they used to put out there.

There has been a lot of hard work by a lot of people at Pasa and it's paid off big time.

As Tom mentioned, the club has been mandated to cut back on it's water.  They installed a new irrigation system and have cut back on water by 30%.  The native grasses are a direct result of that effort.  The club is on fresh water and they still are considering building a resevoir behind the 13th green. 

Kudos have to be given to their new superintendent who seems to be making a big name for himself and has really done an outstanding job.  He has his own web site with some terrific photos, especially of the 18th hole which is on the opening page.

http://pasatiempomaintenance.com/

Bill_McBride

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2012, 02:50:38 PM »
Thanks, Sean. I'd bet a month's salary that you would also really, really enjoy The Valley Club. It is right up your alley.

+5

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2012, 06:17:35 PM »
It's not just the right thing to do, it's the only thing they're allowed to do now -- the county told them they couldn't have as much water as they used to put out there.

There has been a lot of hard work by a lot of people at Pasa and it's paid off big time.

As Tom mentioned, the club has been mandated to cut back on it's water.  They installed a new irrigation system and have cut back on water by 30%.  The native grasses are a direct result of that effort.  The club is on fresh water and they still are considering building a resevoir behind the 13th green. 

Kudos have to be given to their new superintendent who seems to be making a big name for himself and has really done an outstanding job.  He has his own web site with some terrific photos, especially of the 18th hole which is on the opening page.

http://pasatiempomaintenance.com/

It's really looking good, and appreciably better than it was in April.
Those fairway stripes are less apparent too, and the native grasses looks great.

Well done to those at Pasa.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2012, 08:23:27 AM »
Scotty,
Great pics,  thank you, I love Pasatiempo, surprising, unusual, beautiful, challenging and thought provoking. Perhaps I just love Mackenzie, but I could play Pasatiempo, any time.

A movement in the right direction for Cal golf I think. (Will a pebble be next? Wouldn't they benefit from a 50% water decrease?)

Apart from the approach shot into 16, I also love the approach into 9.
@theflatsticker

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2012, 01:42:37 PM »
A movement in the right direction for Cal golf I think. (Will a pebble be next? Wouldn't they benefit from a 50% water decrease?)

Pebble is already on reclaimed water but yes they could decrease their water.

Scott Warren

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2012, 06:51:00 AM »
Jackson,

Growing up in Sydney, I've played on a lot of golf courses that are too steep. I get tired at firing at pins cut above my head.

I have no idea what the % gradient is, but it's a hill that is clearly significant, but isn't a lung-burner to walk. And the second shot visually sets up perfectly with that hill, because none of the foreground features obscures those further away. Fairway, barranca, green, rear bunkers and rear hill all sit comfortably and all visible. In that sense it just works.

And because the climb is fairly constant from tee to green, I think that's a much better state of affairs than the same climb being absorbed through a couple of steep rises on an otherwise flat hole.

I also find an uphill lie tends to generate a hook shape for a right-hander, where that approach shot seems to be asking me for a fade, so that is a great challenge.

But the hill is noticeable and constant without being physically overwhelming or creating a poor approach shot to a blind, benched green. That shot is awkward in the right ways. I love it.

Sean_A

« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2012, 08:56:22 AM »
Thanks, Sean. I'd bet a month's salary that you would also really, really enjoy The Valley Club. It is right up your alley.

No pic of the 14th green, sorry.

Scott

There is nearly always some redeeming features and a good crack or two from playing companions to keep my happy.  I never much thought about Valley Club, why do you spose I would like it?   

I couldn't help but make sure this thread went back to the front page.  Despite no pic of the 14th green, this is one of the best photo tours ever produced on this site.  All should look again and tell me more good stuff - tee hee.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Scott Warren

« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2012, 04:42:53 PM »
Sean,

Many thanks. Especially coming from someone who knows a thing or two about reviewing and photographing golf courses.

Why would you like TVC? Great use of largely flat, subtle land. A smart use of one of the few major landforms on the course to house three tees. A walk-in-the-park atmosphere with a few bold moments (8, 10, 14). Wonderful, subtle greens. When a course has so many qualities that I know you value, I have no hesitation recommending it to you - even though you will likely say it is over-bunkered!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2012, 05:15:10 PM »
Jackson,

Growing up in Sydney, I've played on a lot of golf courses that are too steep. I get tired at firing at pins cut above my head.

I have no idea what the % gradient is, but it's a hill that is clearly significant, but isn't a lung-burner to walk. And the second shot visually sets up perfectly with that hill, because none of the foreground features obscures those further away. Fairway, barranca, green, rear bunkers and rear hill all sit comfortably and all visible. In that sense it just works.

And because the climb is fairly constant from tee to green, I think that's a much better state of affairs than the same climb being absorbed through a couple of steep rises on an otherwise flat hole.

I also find an uphill lie tends to generate a hook shape for a right-hander, where that approach shot seems to be asking me for a fade, so that is a great challenge.

But the hill is noticeable and constant without being physically overwhelming or creating a poor approach shot to a blind, benched green. That shot is awkward in the right ways. I love it.

The right amount, according to Scott, is 90 feet uphill from tee to green!  The ninth hole climbs by a similar amount, and that's the amount of elevation change (downhill) for #1, #2 and #12, too.  It is about the most I've ever seen for holes on a highly rated course.  There are a couple of holes at Stone Eagle which also climb 80-90 feet, and the only reason I even considered building them was knowing that the two holes at Pasatiempo work okay.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #38 on: September 04, 2012, 05:44:14 PM »
I would have thought #16 at Black Mesa would be more than this...but according to Google Earth its only 61 feet of elevation from the lowest point to the highest.

Jackson C

« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2012, 05:52:22 PM »
My favorite is #4.  It is slightly uphill  - the perfect amount uphill.   :)
"The secrets that golf reveals to the game's best are secrets those players must discover for themselves."
Christy O'Connor, Sr. (1998)

Scott Warren

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2012, 06:55:24 PM »
Tom,

So I guess about 25 feet of hill per 100 yards is my ideal. Thanks for chiming in with the numbers.

JC Urbina

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2012, 12:29:55 AM »
Scott,

If you can post some pictures I will try and set up the whole process and how the native grasses came to fruition.

I am traveling now but will try and get some info to you.

David_Elvins

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2012, 12:34:00 AM »
Thanks for posting Scott, and glad you enjoyed it. 

I think Passatiempo is a GREAT golf course and horribly underated.  As good or better than every Doak 9 or Doak 8 I have played. 

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Scott Warren

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2012, 02:53:20 AM »
That sounds great, Jim. Happy to post whatever you have that helps illustrate the process and keen to hear your input on how it played out.

David E -- I could not agree more. It is comfortably within my personal top 10.

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2012, 03:04:06 AM »
Thanks for posting those pictures.  I think the native areas look fantastic.  What a great golf course.

Jeff F.
#nowhitebelt

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2012, 03:22:43 AM »
Thansk Scott, glad to see married life hasn't slowed you down.

Love the pictures and your undying enthusiam.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Scott Warren

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2013, 04:23:36 AM »
I noticed a few days back Pasatiempo GC tweeted: "Many have commented "the course is in the best condition ever", this coming from members and guests."

Has anyone been out there recently and have some basis for comparison based on past play? Rob C?

Hard to imagine it had much improvement in it from last August...

Mac Plumart

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2013, 02:06:24 PM »
bump
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

John McCarthy

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2013, 06:06:07 PM »
Dan: 

You are made of sterner stuff than I.  My one and only visit to Oakland Hills was for a wedding some twenty years ago and mid-reception about six of us got a hold of a bucket of range balls and some wedges...and nature took it's course. 
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Scott Warren

« Reply #49 on: May 28, 2013, 11:41:24 PM »
Word from a lurker answering my question:

They've kept up the native - it looks really cool - looks like that is gonna survive long term.  I sure had my doubts last year - figured the paying customers would rebel against it - but they actually maintain it so well. it even looks "right" to those types, I think.

The course is in wonderful shape.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back