News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brett_Morrissy

Re: Tom MacWood has passed away
« Reply #50 on: August 14, 2012, 09:33:10 AM »
Vale Tom Macwood.

A very sad day when a member of this gca community passes, and way too young.

My sincere condolences to his family for their loss.
@theflatsticker

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #51 on: August 14, 2012, 09:50:42 AM »
My condolences to his family.

Anthony

Paul_Turner

« Reply #52 on: August 14, 2012, 09:57:35 AM »
This is very sad news,  I had the pleasure of meeting Tom one time for a meal in NJ.  He was always generous with his work and time and I will miss him.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

George Pazin

« Reply #53 on: August 14, 2012, 10:00:55 AM »
Wow, very sad news indeed. A long time ago I asked Tom for his address to send him something and he declined initially, saying I shouldn't be getting him anything, when I was just sending him something little; humble in his own way.

A deep thinker on all matters architectural indeed, and a staunch defender of the Buckeyes, too.

Bunker Quiz is still the all time best thread on here, imho.

If anyone has David Moriarty's phone number, it might be worth a call to let him know.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 10:25:57 AM by George Pazin »
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #54 on: August 14, 2012, 10:03:52 AM »
Sorry to hear about this as well.  I did not know Tom, but on the few threads I started he always asked some good thoughtful questions.  A true student in GCA.  My sincere condolences to his family.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #55 on: August 14, 2012, 10:04:08 AM »
So sorry to hear this.  Never met Tom, but always felt I would someday.  My own education of GCA - meaning, an important part of my life - gained from his knowledge and his academic perspective.

Another good man done gone, as they sing on the Delta.

Thoughts and prayers are with Tom's family and all of his many friends.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #56 on: August 14, 2012, 10:04:58 AM »
I feel punched in the stomach upon learning of the death of a man I never met.  I take that and your posts as an affirmation that this website and its participants matter - more than we care to admit.  

Grace and Peace to Tom's family and friends.  

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #57 on: August 14, 2012, 10:08:22 AM »
I can't imagine the shock and grieving of losing a husband and father so suddenly and so young. Tom and his family will be in my thoughts. 
Peter

Robert Emmons

« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2012, 10:12:12 AM »
How sad, how surprising at such a young age...RIP...RHE

Lester George

« Reply #59 on: August 14, 2012, 10:37:21 AM »
I never met him, but sad news nonetheless.  Heartfelt condolences to his family.

Lester

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2012, 10:38:19 AM »
What an awful shock to get this morning, I will miss his very passionate comments and inteligent writings.
I may not always have agreed, but at least I knew his opinions came from much thought and a greater knowledge than mine...prayers and thoughts to his family.
Way too young and a great loss to GCA.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2012, 10:42:42 AM »
My mother lost her husband -- and his children lost their father -- suddenly, when he was just 52 years old.

The shock of that loss was absolute. The pain, incalculable. The repercussions, unimaginable.

Not a day has passed, since then, when any of us hasn't had at least a fleeting thought of him -- of how he was, and of how he might be, and of how the world has changed in ways that would have astonished him, 42 years later.

We have always taken whatever comfort we could from the knowledge that he lived a good life, touching many in ways beneficial to them, and that he and our mother made good lives possible for all of us. I don't think my mother ever presided over a gathering of our family without looking skyward and saying "Thank you, Bill" -- or words to that effect.

I will say a little prayer that Tom MacWood's family will find some comfort in all of the words we are writing here -- and in the knowledge that he will be sorely missed by many people he never knew.

I did not know the man. We did not correspond. He took this subject way more seriously than I do; he was a scholar of golf-course architecture, and I am decidedly not. But my friend Rick Shefchik nailed it, when he called Tom MacWood a "pillar" of golfclubatlas.com.  

And as for me, I try never to forget the words of John Donne:

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

Dan

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Howard Riefs

« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2012, 10:48:14 AM »
Very sad news. My condolences to Tom's family.

Tom's contributions via the "In My Opinion" research and writings are unparalleled. His portrait on Crump is a tour de force that should be read and re-read by all:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/thomas-macwood-george-arthur-crump-portrait-of-a-legend/

RIP, Tom.

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Phil McDade

« Reply #63 on: August 14, 2012, 10:49:37 AM »
I spend far too much time on the discussion board, and not enough on the wonderful archival material on this website, particularly the essays included in the "In My Opinion" and "Feature Interview" sections. So I resolved a while back to spend more time there, learning about architecture rather than simply pontificating about it.

So whose essay was I last reading when I heard this news? Tom's wonderful piece on Charles Alison's work in Japan -- "Gliding Past Fuji," a well-research and documented look at the architect's work in a country few of us here have ever had the chance to explore.

I'll miss his contributions to this site. Prayers and condolences to his family.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #64 on: August 14, 2012, 10:57:29 AM »
Sad news indeed, my condolences to Tom's family.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Mike Demetriou

« Reply #65 on: August 14, 2012, 11:23:45 AM »
My condolences to Tom's family. Frankly, I cannot understand how someone with so much wisdom and perspective could only be 54 years old. To consider then how many years his family and this community have been robbed of is even harder to stomach.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #66 on: August 14, 2012, 11:25:15 AM »
Many of us carry "legendary" names around with us. From Titanic Thompson to Ran Morrisset.

Tom MacWood assumed that status in my mind years ago. I had not the pleasure of meeting Tom but also wish to express my condolences to help the family realize his broad influence and respect...something I am sure he never fully communicated to them so i reiterate the request for whatever link might pop up that would allow us on this site to begin to build that realization with his loved ones.

I have been reflecting for some time that the many friends I have made on this site have a very tenuous connection and yet I would want to know if something serious such as critical illness or death has overtaken them...ever since I totally missed Mike Whittake'rs incident this spring( my fault for not cheking in really).

But I have intended for some time to pose the question for discussion. Church's have prayer lists afterall. Is there a way to organize such a thing , other than just relying on close connections to step up? A buddy system?

RIP Tom
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

John_Cullum

« Reply #67 on: August 14, 2012, 11:31:11 AM »
Shocking and saddening news. Tom loved timeless things, and I shared numerous private messages with him about the Arts and Crafts bungalows that are so numerous in my hometown. He was a fascinating man. Perhaps now, he truly has found Foulepointe. RIP
"We finally beat Medicare. "

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #68 on: August 14, 2012, 11:47:37 AM »
Very sad to hear this...Tom has been a key member of this board for as long as I can remember.

My deepest condolences to his family and friends.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #69 on: August 14, 2012, 12:00:47 PM »
May he rest in peace. Condolences to his family.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2012, 12:33:52 PM »
Very sad news indeed.  I am truly bummed to be reading this as his zeal and enthusiasm for gca was genuine/infectious.

All the best to his family.

Ben Sims

« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2012, 12:44:33 PM »
My deepest condolences go out to Tom MacWood's family and friends.  I did not know the man, but I always read in wonderment his vast knowledge of golf architecture history and his often times controversial but defendable views on the subject.  We should all be so lucky to be that firm in our convictions and so eager to defend our views.  He will be missed.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #72 on: August 14, 2012, 01:03:02 PM »
Tom's contributions will be sorely missed.

My condolences to his loved ones.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Jason Topp

« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2012, 01:13:49 PM »
I imagine Tom suddenly learning the answers to the questions he asked and debated so long on this site. 

RIP

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2012, 01:29:07 PM »
Sad to hear; never met Tom but had bounced a few emails back and forth.  His knowledge and history of the game was unparelleled.  His death at such an early age is eerily similar to my father's death.  Hope the best for his family.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back