News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Peter Pallotta

Crosswinds at the Ocean Course
« on: August 10, 2012, 11:18:41 PM »
Phil Mickleson noted that throughout the round, players were facing crosswinds (as opposed to wind behind them or in their face). Does anyone think/know whether Pete Dye did this intentionally? Is this another example of PD taking what he saw/learned in GB&I and "transmuting" it for big time American professional golf? 

Peter

Adrian_Stiff

Re: Crosswinds at the Ocean Course
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 05:45:33 AM »
Winds change.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 09:22:18 AM »
Adrian -- I guess I was asking whether PD designed the course so that the prevailing winds would play as crosswinds instead of helping/hurting winds, which kind of winds I associate more with the old links courses that play out and back.

Peter

Jason Thurman

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 10:30:11 AM »
The reputation of Kiawah's winds is that they shift almost constantly and have no real prevailing direction. So, I doubt it.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

BCrosby

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 11:02:58 AM »
As with most locations along the SE coast, winds usually blow on shore or off shore. I suspect Dye wasn't oblivious to that. But, as noted, the winds in the area can also blow in all sorts of directions.

Bob

Carl Nichols

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 11:40:19 AM »
Peter-
I know nothing about how Mr. Dye decided to route the course or the limitations he had in doing so.  But the property is in roughly the shape of a fairly long rectangle, so it may have been inevitable that the course would have a good number of holes running in the directions that they do. 

Howard Riefs

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 12:06:08 PM »
My understanding and experience having played it a few times is that there is no prevailing wind.

Brad Klein says otherwise:

The prevailing wind is out of the west-southwest, meaning that the course tends to play downwind, then a long stretch into the wind, and it finishes on the downwind side. Whatever the direction, however, wind is a constant factor.

http://mobile.golfweek.com/news/2012/aug/05/pga-championship-ocean-course-hole-hole/
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back