News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Brian Gerard (Director of Golf at Kiawah) and Jeff Stone (Superintendent of The Ocean Course) kindly found the time to co-author a Feature Interview before heading into the PGA Championship next week.

Unlike any other course with which I am familiar, The Ocean Course at Kiawah was thrust into the spotlight when it opened in 1991. Perceptions were (understandably!) instantly formed based on watching the Ryder Cup and that’s the way it goes in golf. Roll the clock forward twenty plus years and what do you have? A course that is simultaneously much the same (17 of the 18 holes play through the same corridors with the same base strategic interest) and much different (acres more short grass around the greens, a different grass scheme on the tees and greens, ground in front of the greens that is considerably firmer, etc.). And that’s the purpose of this joint Feature Interview: To give people a sense of what to expect next week on TV while also communicating the various changes that the course has undergone in its first two decades.

From an architecture junkie point of view, I am looking forward to this PGA Championship telecast more so than any in recent memory. HOPEFULLY, the wind will kick up at least a day or two to make the festivities especially (!) lively. Coincidentally, I was down there in mid July with my two children for vacation and Mike Vegis shared some ‘fun facts’ that I am reprinting here with his permission:

1. Natural sand areas on The Ocean Course completely enclosed by tended turf

No. 2 – Two (both greenside)

No. 4 – Five (three fairway and two greenside)

No. 5 – Two (both greenside)

No. 6 – One (greenside)

No. 9 – Two (one fairway and one greenside)

No. 10 – One (greenside)

No. 11 – Six (five fairway, one greenside)

No. 12 – Five (four fairway, one greenside)

No. 13 – Seven (five fairway, two greenside)

No. 18 – Three (all fairway)

Total:  33 natural sand areas.

Unlike “bunkers” or “sand traps” that have uniform sand consistent, these areas consist of natural sand similar to what is found in the dunes and “transition areas.”  They have inconsistent surface texture and include shells, pebbles, etc.  All sand areas will be played “through the green” for the 2012 PGA Championship.

2. During the last day of the 1991 Ryder Cup, not one player hit the 14th green with his tee shot. No wonder it is probably my single favorite Dye par three!

3. Ocean Course Acreages

Front 9 :  42.25 Acres (grass only)

Greens :  1.33 Acres
Tees :   1.72 Acres
Fairways : 13.7 Acres
Roughs : 25.5
Sand : 13 acres (estimate only)

Back 9 : 43.13 Acres (grass only)
Greens : 1.46 Acres
Tees : 1.97 Acres
Fairways : 14.3 Acres
Roughs : 25.4 Acres
Sand : 14 Acres (estimate only)

Range : 20 Acres
Range Tee : 1.28 Acres

Paspalum Field : 2.2 Acres

Total Acreage : 108.86 Acres

There you have it – Thanks to Brian and Jeff for taking the time to do this Feature Interview. As they suggest, it will be interesting to see which wind blows and the bearing that has on some of the data from past tournaments. Someone recently said in London “Let the games begin!” and I echo that sentiment for next week – should be a great one!

Cheers,

Mark Bourgeois

Excellent interview! I am just fascinated by paspalum. I once read that it could be watered with brackish water, which in addition to saving on the water bill would kill weeds. Have you tested that idea? Could that represent a component of "sustainable" maintenance in the future? What must change for that to be realistic?

I'll also be curious to see how you get 30,000 people around out there. Where will the missing persons booth be located?  ;D

Lastly, I am really looking forward to seeing the pros play the course, really pumped, but have thought that August might not be the best time as the winds lie down a little, don't they? Not looking for the pros to suffer -- I want to see some shotmaking. I want to see if we Americans can create at least a hint of golf's greatest major, The Open Championship.

To that end, in addition to green speeds and fairway widths have you made other accommodations in the setup / presentation for a) the ground game and b) shotmaking?

I wish you the best of luck.

Howard Riefs

Great interview and a splendid job by Jeff and his team to keep the course in fine shape, particularly after the storm on Saturday. 

Related article from the Post & Courier:

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20120813/PC20/120819674/1032/flexibility-key-for-ocean-course-maintenance-staff

“You really have to make changes on the fly, be able to adapt to what conditions are out there,” Stone said. “We’re very fortunate. We had a plan, but we also had enough flexibility to make changes quickly. Our priorities are always the greens. That’s No. 1, to make sure those are perfect.”
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back