News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony_Muldoon

Another bloody Deal thread!
« on: July 30, 2012, 07:30:54 AM »
Deal has a new website with some outstanding photo’s.

http://www.royalcinqueports.com/splash/

Deal is like TOC in so many ways, but mostly in the terrain which features multitudinous micro features that are hard to photograph but oh so testing to play over.  It appears that as you visit different sections of the site you get a new set of 3 pictures.  Someone was out early and late and the shadows highlight the beauty of prime golf land.

Mark do you know who did the photography?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 07:33:24 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Scott Warren

Re: Another bloody Deal thread!
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 07:49:47 AM »
Enjoyed killing an hour looking around the site when the club emailed the link.

Agree the pics are special. Would love to get prints of a couple for RCP's Sydney clubhouse (aka my apartment!).

Mac Plumart

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 10:20:16 AM »
The more Deal threads, the better.

The place looks amazing!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 02:13:01 PM »
Thanks, Tony. Like Mac, I never tire of these.

I enjoyed too the hole by hole commentaries, including this interesting one by Sir Guy: "To play at Deal successfully is to wage a campaign rather than to fight a series of battles. Herein I believe lies its true greatness."  Ah, golf course design before the "18 great holes" ideal had set in and been re-inforced by every signature hole ever promoted.

Peter

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 03:10:59 PM »
Gentlemen,

The web page is a joy to behold and a thing of beauty, emulating Deal itself. Wonderful photography.

Peter I also like the McKenzie Ross quote "A great hole is one which puts a question mark into the players mind when he arrives on the tee to play it." Deal seems to abound in them.

I have to agree that Sir Guy Campbell's words strike a chord with me too.

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

David Davis

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 06:37:40 AM »
Beautiful photos and I bet they weren't even touched up at all. I had the honor of being there for the first time inbetween rain storms a few weeks ago. Stayed in the the apartment there attached to the club and awoke to exactly this kind of day. Walked much of the course to wake up very early in the morning and it reminds me of these photos. Great course and experience!
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2012, 03:51:08 AM »
The photographs are by Sussex based Kevin Murray a professional golf photographer, his work looks superb.

Www.kevinmurraygolfphotography.com
Cave Nil Vino

Rich Goodale

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2012, 03:57:21 AM »
Much as I like Deal, other than having prosaic opening and finishing holes I can see very little to compare it with the Old Course.  Pics look great, though!
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2012, 04:43:34 AM »
Much as I like Deal, other than having prosaic opening and finishing holes I can see very little to compare it with the Old Course.  Pics look great, though!

I'm off on holiday so attempts to persuade you otherwise will have to wait until next month’s Deal thread.  :D

Nothing prosaic about Deal's 18th, in fact I would identify it as a differentiator.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 05:37:35 AM »
Nothing prosaic about the first either, if you misjudge the second and fail to carry the burn!   And I thought that first tee shot, with the clubhouse looming to the right, a bit unnerving!

Noel Freeman

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 09:35:47 AM »

Rich, you don't see a similarity between a thin strip routing with a crook at end before snugly coming home?

Rich Goodale

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 11:22:39 AM »
Not particularly, Noel, but it's something that never occurred to me the 5-10 times I've been over that ground from 1981-2010, and still doesn't resonate now, having had a few minutes to think about it.  In general, I think Deal has more than enough great qualities of its own without having to stretch to compare itself to other fine links course.

Slainte

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 02:25:16 PM »
I don't know Deal well enough (sadly) to make any comparison with the Old Course, but I do think there are fleeting moments on courses all over the country when a certain part of the Old Course flashes into the mind. I remember playing Conwy with my brother-in-law (who was brought up and learned his golf in St Andrews) at least thirty years ago and as we approached the 14th green he was struck by the similarity of the approach to the 9th green of TOC. The Conwy hole is par five, the 9th at TOC a short par four, but it is the situation, the approach over level ground, the town in the background, gradually closing in gorse bushes. There is no other similarity on the course, but for a moment you are transported to Fife. I often find these connections, a green here, a bunker there, a line of trees or a distant church spire.

Very occasionally I play at Wilmslow with another member who is a former captain of Cambridge University. On one occasion I mentioned that I thought the trees on the right and the setting of the green always reminded me of the 8th at Royal Worlington (Cambridge University's home course). 'Good Lord! I'd never thought of that before.' Apparently he now always points out the similarity to others! It's the feeling, not the physical similarity which makes the connection.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 07:58:57 PM »
I think both courses can be compared quite fairly. There is only £5 between them at peak rates and, I am stunned to report, Deal comes out the winner at £155.

And I was complaining about Royal Dornoch's rates :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Scott Warren

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2012, 08:13:44 PM »
Ulrich,

Tee off at 4pm and Deal is £80. Problem solved.

You can play 36 after 4pm if you walk with purpose!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back