News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Colbert

Cherry Hills
« on: July 20, 2012, 12:23:55 PM »
I was fortunate enough to qualify for the 2012 US Amateur on Wednesday at Cherry Hills, and I couldn't be more excited to see this William Flynn gem. Does anyone have some photos of the course? I found an earlier thread with a few pictures but couldn't find a photo tour.

Tiger_Bernhardt

Re: Cherry Hills
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 12:54:20 PM »
Brian congratulations on a huge moment in life. I loved Cherry Hills. the long term pro there and now retired was a friend from my childhood. He ran as professional an operation as any i ever saw. clayton cole was his name. I am sorry to not have any photos for you.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 12:57:00 PM »
Super news. Congrats, Brian.

I can't locate a Cherry Hills tour.  (FYI - The collection of course photo tours are indexed here: http://www.delicious.com/golfclubatlas)

But here is a short course review with analysis of specific holes:  http://www.golfcoursegurus.com/reviews/cherryhills.php.  It can be a good companion to the course's own tour via its website:
(http://www.chcc.com/Default.aspx?p=DynamicModule&pageid=347506&ssid=250685&vnf=1)

Separately, here's a photo tour of the stroke play companion course, CommonGround:
http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,40884.0/

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 12:59:41 PM »
Brian:

Congratulations!

You get to do battle with some of our work at both qualifying courses ... my associate Eric Iverson did a lot of work at Cherry Hills three years ago, just after he had wrapped up the work at Common Ground.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 01:29:16 PM »
Chalk up another great performance in the qualifier!  Nice work.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Nigel Islam

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 05:06:03 PM »
Congratulations!

Doug Wright

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 01:29:25 AM »
Congratulations. I'll be marshaling on the par 3 8th hole. I've heard the rough is growing and so there will be a premium on accuracy at Cherry Hills. I actually think CommonGround requires more rounds to figure out how to play it than Cherry Hills.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Matthew Rose

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 02:07:10 AM »
Awesome!

My brother and I will probably come out and watch one or two days..... for me it'll be a thrill just to be on the grounds. I tried to get him to attempt it but he's still a bit gun shy after a particularly bad US Open qualifier a couple of years ago.

My current employer is just a few blocks up and over, so I hope to sneak out there a couple of days during the week.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Brian Colbert

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 09:41:16 AM »
Brian:

Congratulations!

You get to do battle with some of our work at both qualifying courses ... my associate Eric Iverson did a lot of work at Cherry Hills three years ago, just after he had wrapped up the work at Common Ground.

The more I check out Commonground the more fired up I am to see it!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 11:15:59 AM »
Brian,

Congratulations.

Get there early

There are some adjustments you'll have to make regarding distance and firmness.

Cherry Hills has a history of being a terrific host.

Tom Doak,

What was the scope of the work at Cherry Hills ?

Did Mark Fine work on the course a few years earlier ?
If so, what did he do ?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 12:53:36 PM »
Tom Doak,

What was the scope of the work at Cherry Hills ?

Did Mark Fine work on the course a few years earlier ?
If so, what did he do ?

Patrick:

The work at Cherry Hills was pretty extensive.  We rebuilt all the tees, added back tees on several holes (most notably at #9), rebuilt/restored two greens that had been changed (#3 and 13), moved the eighth hole forty yards (doing our best to reproduce the original green in the new location), rebuilt all the bunkers (including restoring the center bunker on #5 and the majority of the old cross bunkering on #17), and took out quite a few trees.

Mark Fine had written an extensive consulting report for the club, including a detailed history of changes to the course, which we used as a reference for much of our work.  However, the club had us write our own thorough master plan, which was approved by the membership, before construction began.  My crew [Eric Iverson, Bruce Hepner, Brian Slawnik, Brian Schneider, and Jonathan Reisetter] did all of the shaping work, and Eric has continued to consult with the club afterward.

I believe that moving the eighth hole to make room for new tees at #9 was actually Mike Davis' idea originally.  It was a pretty radical change, and something I would not have thought to do, even though it was clear that #9 was the hole that needed lengthening the most to try and restore some of its original challenge.  Since the par-3 8th was fairly flat and relied on length for most of its challenge, it wasn't as hard to move it as it would have been to move a more complex hole.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 03:36:09 PM »
Tom Doak,

That's an extensive project.

How long did it take you, start to finish ?

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 04:48:02 PM »
Good luck.  Cherry Hills is a wonderful club.  It's a big time, long and hard course which is what you would expect for a USGA event.  It's modertly hilly, tree lined with huge estates around the course. 

Hopefully you'll play better than Tommy Bolt on the 18th.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 04:51:09 PM by Joel_Stewart »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 04:56:15 PM »
I love that Bolt picture.  The fellow on the left kinda has the same reaction as Al Czervik did when the Judge threw his club into the tables!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Will Lozier

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 06:32:46 PM »
Brian,

Congrats, play well, and don't throw your driver in the lake!

Cheers

PCCraig

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 07:01:35 PM »
Congrats on the qualification Brian! Play well!
H.P.S.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 09:25:16 PM »
Hopefully you'll play better than Tommy Bolt on the 18th.

Joel,

Bolt's grip is too strong.

The angle of the driver won't allow for adequate distance, leaving the driver too close to the shore and retrievable by waders.

He's also bending his elbow and has begun his throw with a late weight shift.

Having held distance and altitude records he should have consulted me.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back