News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jack_Marr

Linksland development in Ireland
« on: July 19, 2012, 07:28:55 AM »
A new thread following the Bartragh discussion.

There are a number of linksland sites around Ireland, although they shouldn't all be developed, of course. Given the difficulty with getting planning, what about the linksland around Tramore in Waterford? I believe, although I could be wrong, that the Tramore Golf Club was originally in the dunes? Would getting planning there, therefore, not be easier than elsewhere? I don't know how large the area is.

There's also land near Malin Head, fronting Five Finger Strand. There's more in Inch in Kerry, and in Derrynane in Kerry. I'm sure there's more places too - adjoining existing golf courses. I'm not an architect, so don't know how suitable the land is.

Five Finger Strand

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=malin+head&hl=en&ll=55.318719,-7.32419&spn=0.019413,0.066047&sll=54.209243,-9.160967&sspn=0.039906,0.132093&t=h&hnear=Malin+Head,+County+Donegal,+Ireland&z=15

Tramore

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=Ballindud&hl=en&ll=52.152661,-7.100344&spn=0.020933,0.066047&sll=52.428385,-7.227631&sspn=0.665704,2.113495&t=h&hnear=Ballindud,+County+Waterford,+Ireland&z=15
John Marr(inan)

Jack_Marr

Re: Linksland development in Ireland
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 07:57:28 AM »
I'm pretty sure Arthur Spring has been trying to get planning permission for a course on Inch for years. He designed the courseat Castlegregory so assume he'd look to design it himself - although it would be great to see what one of the big boys would do with it...

Weren't Tom Doak and Coore and Crenshaw sounded out for two separate developments there?

John Marr(inan)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 10:34:18 AM »
Jack:

The site that Bill routed his course on is in the center of the aerial photo, just north of the road north of the lake, facing the ocean.

The site that I routed my course on is in the top right corner of the photo, and running off the photo, facing Dingle Bay.

All of the land in question is in common ownership -- I think there were 7 families, and 23 different people who had to agree to its development.  Our client briefly had everyone in agreement to give him an option to develop it, but stopped short of getting the environmental permits.  Anyone who wanted to try again would have to start at square one on the 23 signatures, and as I understand it, that would be difficult due to antagonism over the last attempt.

They were both terrific sites; it's a shame the project didn't happen. 

Jack_Marr

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 12:21:38 PM »
That's a real shame, Tom. It's a fantastic area for golf too. And I know you would have produced something special.

There's two distilleries in the area being built now too.
John Marr(inan)

Bruce Wellmon

« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 03:14:39 PM by Bruce Wellmon »

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2012, 10:39:46 PM »
Brian,

It has been about ten years since Arthur Spring showed me around Inch, place you need a few days to really appreciate. At that point Arthur was nearly twenty years into trying to make something happen at Inch and he had developed a routing plan for not one but a total of four courses on the property.

As respectfully as I could I tried to suggest he partner with Tom Doak, but it was pretty clear Arthur wanted the project for himself and why not? It is a pretty amazing place.

I did have the good fortunate to revisit Inch with Rupert ONeil when he was considering development of Ballyneal. Most our time was spent at just a few courses in the area - Ballybunion, Dooks, Lahinch and Doonbeg - but I think Rubert was most impressed with Inch and how it blew away Doonbeg as a site for golf.
Tim Weiman

Michael Latham

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 02:36:00 AM »
Jack,
With regard to Tramore your link brought back fond memories as I built the house, "Innisfree" at the Corballymore crossroad, opposite the barrow in the centre of the picture.
The racecourse and I think the golf course were originally on the flat land to the north of the barrow but never, alas, in or on the barrow.
I shudder to think of the outcry that would follow an application for golf in the barrow. The barrow enjoys the highest protection and is a very popular walk from Tramore. The dunes are spectacular and their beauty in evening or early morning light quite wondrous to behold.
There was a plan to put 18 holes on the land just across from the barrow at Corballymore House but nothing ever came of it.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 04:24:39 AM »
Jack,
With regard to Tramore your link brought back fond memories as I built the house, "Innisfree" at the Corballymore crossroad, opposite the barrow in the centre of the picture.
The racecourse and I think the golf course were originally on the flat land to the north of the barrow but never, alas, in or on the barrow.
I shudder to think of the outcry that would follow an application for golf in the barrow. The barrow enjoys the highest protection and is a very popular walk from Tramore. The dunes are spectacular and their beauty in evening or early morning light quite wondrous to behold.
There was a plan to put 18 holes on the land just across from the barrow at Corballymore House but nothing ever came of it.

Thanks Michael for the clarification. I think the outcry would probably be justified, as we can't be turning every acre of links into golf course. It would be nice to have one or two more in Ireland, tough, especially if someone like Tom Doak could be involved. Or a few others.

John
John Marr(inan)

Jonathan Davison

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 05:07:24 AM »
Michael,
I remember when I was working on the Tramore Golf Club that a Nicklaus Course was planned in Tramore, I am curious if this is the same project.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 05:28:12 AM »
Was the Nicklaus one the Garrarus development?

Clifftop rather than linksland... Masterplan attached...

http://www.garrarusgolf.com/Montages.htm

Michael Latham

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 04:00:36 PM »
Ally/Jonathan,
If my memory serves ,the "Nicklaus course" was going to be out towards the Head on the Dunmore side of Tramore bay.
The other course to which I referred in the earlier post was to be smack opposite the Barrow.

Jack_Marr

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 02:24:01 PM »
I've been looking at Google Maps and there are lots and lots of linksland sites. How suitable they are, I don't  know.

The Runkerry one in Northern Ireland is going ahead, I think. Any news on that links on the Arran Islands?
John Marr(inan)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 02:44:09 PM »
For those not familiar with Ivan Norris's name check out this months feature interview for more news on one of the potentila course.  er make that 4 more, potentially.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/ivan-july-2012/
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back