News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Re: one course for the rest of your life
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2012, 08:21:50 PM »
The Meadow Club, north of San Francisco, would be on my short list.

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2012, 08:27:54 PM »
What are the odds it took all the  way to the 80th post for someone from this erudite group to mention the world's finest course, Pine Valley.

I will take this semi-mystical haven, within it's own Township, with a magnificent clubhouse, staff, food, locker room, and one of the greatest and most memorable golf courses in the world... from now until doomsday.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #77 on: July 21, 2012, 03:37:51 PM »
Joel,

That's a difficult challenge, a very difficult challenge, day in and day out.

How many times have you played PV ?

Joey Chase

« Reply #78 on: July 21, 2012, 03:58:19 PM »
Garden City gets my vote as well. I just hope to see it someday after the new 12th hole.

David Amarnek

« Reply #79 on: July 21, 2012, 07:05:56 PM »
In my mid-fifties, so I'll take Gulph Mills for my time in the US and Sunningdale for the UK.
For the clubs just as much for the courses!

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #80 on: July 21, 2012, 07:27:31 PM »
Joel,

That's a difficult challenge, a very difficult challenge, day in and day out.

How many times have you played PV ?

+1 for Joel.

Since there are two sets of tees (http://sugar.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/sugar7/event/sugar728/course/pinevalley/actual.htm) one can play the course from a manageable length until age 70. Since we are dreaming and this is a private bastion, no one will tell you that you cannot tee it up at the front of the tee deck, or even invent your own tee deck if a carry is too intimidating to effect.

On the advice of my lawyer, I am bound by law to declare that I have played Pine Valley 365 times (or zero, I forget which one is correct) and that a difficult challenge is a wonderful way to live out one's golfing life.

FOR TIM MARTIN:

There are many courses on which I could play out my days in happy repose. Most of them would be selected for nostalgic reasons, as they would remind me constantly of rounds that I played there, in my youth. Webhannet in Maine, Putterham in Massachusetts, Taconic (somewhat famous) in Massachusetts, Kebo Valley (played there on honeymoon with wifey, one of two rounds she has ever played) and on and on. I'm not sure if I'm being sucked in by the beautiful, bodacious starlet when the girl-next-door is the obvious choice. This is beginning to read like a Taylor Swift song.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 08:23:48 PM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Joel Zuckerman

« Reply #81 on: July 21, 2012, 08:17:48 PM »
I have visited the holy land of Pine Valley three times, and probably played the big course five or six times, a couple rounds on the short course also....

John Handley

« Reply #82 on: July 21, 2012, 08:31:29 PM »
Call me a homer but I'd take the Cal Club.  At least if I have to be realistic.  If I am dreaming then I'd probably go with Cypress Point in the U.S. and Royal County Down non-US.
2024 Line Up: Spanish Oaks GC, Cal Club, Cherokee Plantation, Huntercombe, West Sussex, Hankley Common, Royal St. Georges, Sunningdale New & Old, CC of the Rockies, Royal Lytham, Royal Birkdale, Formby, Royal Liverpool, Swinley Forest, St. George's Hill, Berkshire Red, Walton Heath Old, Austin GC,

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #83 on: July 21, 2012, 09:40:24 PM »

Since there are two sets of tees (http://sugar.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/sugar7/event/sugar728/course/pinevalley/actual.htm) one can play the course from a manageable length until age 70.

Ron, there are three (3) sets of tee markers, championship, regular and Seniors.
To play the Senior tees your age and your handicap have to total 75.

From the regular tees there aren't many golfers age 70 who can handle that golf course, especially when it's wet.
So I don't know what "manageable" length you're referring to.

Since we are dreaming and this is a private bastion, no one will tell you that you cannot tee it up at the front of the tee deck, or even invent your own tee deck if a carry is too intimidating to effect.

At PV, they will tell you where you can and can't tee it up from.

On the advice of my lawyer, I am bound by law to declare that I have played Pine Valley 365 times (or zero, I forget which one is correct) and that a difficult challenge is a wonderful way to live out one's golfing life.

Playing PV every day will shorten your "golf life" considerably.

I'd suggest a course more commensurate with your golfing abilities  ;D

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #84 on: July 21, 2012, 10:01:29 PM »
No love for Merion East??  This will keep this thread going until 2013
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #85 on: July 21, 2012, 11:01:48 PM »
I hear Merion West is more fun than the East.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Michael Goody

« Reply #86 on: July 21, 2012, 11:32:51 PM »
I have to say NGLA. I'm scheduled to play Merion East in a month for the first time in almost 20 years, so that might move back to the top of my list (it was the course of my dreams in childhood). In England, Swinley Forest. Couldn't see myself bored with any of the three and neither NGLA nor Swinley are brutally penal in my opinion. I think if you told me I was sentenced to life at any of: Piping Rock, Pasatiempo, MPCC Shore or Teeth of the Dog, I'd be ok with those fates as well.

Dan Smoot

« Reply #87 on: July 22, 2012, 08:42:00 AM »
It will be Pacific Dunes. I will keep moving forward, keep the ball low and be mesmerized by the challenge and view.  I dont know how I could continue to walk the Trails finish at an advanced age.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #88 on: July 22, 2012, 09:08:38 AM »
In this scenario, are we paying greens fees and/or dues?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

PThomas

« Reply #89 on: July 22, 2012, 09:15:54 AM »
In this scenario, are we paying greens fees and/or dues?

no sir
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

hhuffines

« Reply #90 on: July 22, 2012, 02:54:05 PM »

Mac Plumart

« Reply #91 on: July 22, 2012, 06:47:43 PM »
It would be AWESOME to be able to play #2 with out worrying about costs day in and day out for your entire life.  I would enjoy that very, very much!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jim Tang

« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2012, 07:12:32 PM »
Give me Pacific Dunes!

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2012, 07:28:51 PM »
It would be AWESOME to be able to play #2 with out worrying about costs day in and day out for your entire life.  I would enjoy that very, very much!

I think Pinehurst becomes an even more attractive option when considering costs.  Is there a better value anywhere in the US?  Purchasing a house and membership fees are very reasonable, lower than any comparable course I’m aware of...and a mutt like me can join.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2012, 07:32:31 PM »
I hear Merion West is more fun than the East.
That is Correct, it's a fun track to play. Usually do West first then East.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Bruce Leland

« Reply #95 on: July 23, 2012, 07:20:16 AM »
Speaking strictly from the rota I have played, I'll take MPCC.  Would never tire of the course or scenery.
"The mystique of Muirfield lingers on. So does the memory of Carnoustie's foreboding. So does the scenic wonder of Turnberry and the haunting incredibility of Prestwick, and the pleasant deception of Troon. But put them altogether and St. Andrew's can play their low ball for atmosphere." Dan Jenkins

Paul Jones

« Reply #96 on: July 23, 2012, 08:57:10 AM »
It won't be Royal Lytham & St Anne - too many bunkers for me.

I would pick Cypress Point - you get to play in the dunes, woods and along the Bay.

Paul
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #97 on: July 23, 2012, 09:10:02 AM »
I plan on playing Reddish Vale for the rest of my life anyway, and much as I love visiting other courses it wouldn't be the end of my world if I couldn't.

The more courses I play the more I value what I've got at home!

Dan Moore

« Reply #98 on: July 23, 2012, 03:07:18 PM »
Of the places I have played I think Jack Crisham has it right in Chicago though Old Elm would be exceptionally enjoyable.  Desert Forest for US winter golf.  Deal and Sunningdale Old in England and Royal Portrush in Ireland.  All courses that would still be walkable and fun when I hope to be able to shoot my age.  Hmm, three Harry Colt courses. 
"Is there any other game which produces in the human mind such enviable insanity."  Bernard Darwin

Mark Pearce

« Reply #99 on: July 23, 2012, 03:24:47 PM »
Count me as another vote for Royal Dornoch.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back