News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Potash

Who said this to whom?
« on: July 16, 2012, 04:32:48 PM »
Sitting in the Turtle Bar at Ballyneal waiting for the temps to get back to double digits I came across this quote:

Speaking about the greens at St. Andrew's -

""Oh, they were fast!  It was quite a different kind of golf really.  You had to invent all sorts of approach shots to get the ball near the hole, and when you were playing in a stiff wind - and you did very often - this doubled the difficulty.  On the old, hard, fast courses golf was a more exacting game, and, in a way, a more fascinating one.  We've permitted ourselves to go too far in the other direction.  With our soft, holding greens of today, golf has become almost entirely target golf.  You fly your shot right to your target and it settles where it lands.  I believe that the bounce of the ball should be a part of the game, and when you play a fast, resilient course it is.  Then you must improvise all sorts of shots to cope with the terrain.  I know that some of those little pitches, and pitch-and-runs - the ones that come off successfully - gave me as much satisfaction as any shots I ever played"

Author - "I could listen to _______ all day.

RJ_Daley

Re: Who said this to whom?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 04:49:53 PM »
I want to say from the nicely phrased language that it was Bobby Jones, but I also think it might be Tom Watson...
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 05:13:44 PM »
MM

Tim Martin

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 05:18:22 PM »
Sonja Henie and Scott Hoch are out...

;D ;D

Dick Kirkpatrick

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 08:57:04 PM »
Seve

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 09:12:15 PM »
Bobby Jones speaking to Arnold Palmer.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 09:15:53 PM »
To be more exact, Herbert Warren Wind recounting a conversation he had with Bobby Jones about a conversation that Jones and Palmer had.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 09:20:00 PM »
Allan Robertson speaking to OTM?

Pat Burke

« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 09:22:06 PM »
Rory Mcilroy to the press?

Brian Potash

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 09:23:57 PM »
Good job Sven!

The conversation between HWW and Jones took place at the 68' Masters.

Brian

Howard Riefs

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 09:16:05 AM »
Sitting in the Turtle Bar at Ballyneal waiting for the temps to get back to double digits I came across this quote:

Reading through copy of HWW's compilation of writings, "Following Through"?

http://www.amazon.com/Following-Through-Herbert-Warren-Wind/dp/0060976608/ref=la_B001HMQTPK_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1342530773&sr=1-5

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back