News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Morrow

Re: Best Golf Course Experience Rankings... A question
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2012, 11:31:45 PM »
Na, he had to go into Mullen to the ATM to get the money he lost on the golf course.

I saw that ATM.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2012, 12:09:05 AM »
Can you guys try and detail what it is that makes these courses deliver this special exprience?
@theflatsticker

Sandy Smith

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2012, 12:15:26 AM »
I would have to think that Whisper Rock should be on any list of great golf experiences. It's a very cool place in my opinion.
Firm greens, firmer fairways.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2012, 01:19:09 AM »
Can you guys try and detail what it is that makes these courses deliver this special exprience?

Brett:

Some people are fine wiping their own a$$es, some people like to have them wiped for them.

That about sums it up.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Bill_McBride

« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2012, 01:21:59 AM »
Let's slow down guys, I love spending time at Dismal but there are other places with facilities just as good if not better.

So, golf troll, which of these top 25 that you have played have better accommodations and food than Dismal.

Here is my new Top 25 after my recent midwest trip.

1. Sand Hills Mullen, NE
2. Prairie Dunes Hutchinson, KS
3. Austin GC Austin
4. Southern Hills Tulsa
5. Dallas National Dallas
6. Fallen Oak Biloxi, MS
7. Whispering Pines Trinity, TX
8. Kiva Dunes Gulf Shores, AL
9. Old American The Colony, TX
10. Pine Dunes Frankston, TX
11. Wild Horse Gothenburg, NE
12. Huntingdon Valley Philadelphia
13. Colonial Ft. Worth
14. Prairie Club- Pines Valentine, NE
15. Miramont Bryan, TX
16. Money Hill Abita Springs, LA
17. Dismal River Mullen, NE
18. Champions Houston
19. Shadow Hawk Richmond, TX
20. Dallas Athletic Club- Blue Dallas
21. Prairie Club- Dunes Valentine, NE
22. Carlton Woods- Fazio The Woodlands, TX
23. Flint Hills National Andover, KS
24. The Woodlands Country Club- Tournament Course (formerly TPC At The Woodlands) The Woodlands, TX
25. Pecan Valley San Antonio (currently closed)

Depending on my mood I could interchange 17-25 in any order and have no problems.

John, you really like Kiva Dunes that much?

John Kirk

« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2012, 01:49:08 AM »
Ooo...

Off topic rant.  The JK, great list.  I've been to about three of those places.  Whispering Pines is one I want to see.

Hey Sandy, what's up?  I've heard the same thing about Whisper Rock.

Kinloch is worthy of its high ranking.  It's a quiet place most nights, a club where golf is king and people go to play and practice.  A first class place to bring a small group and stay.

Bandon Dunes Resort has to be considered one of the all time greats, doesn't it?  Greatest resort facility in the world?  I just passed through, two Macdonalds with Trails, please.  Old Mac from the back tees in the afternoon wind, 85-86.  Played OK; I'm not as good as I used to be, but believe me, it is hard and fun from back there when the wind is blowing fifteen.

I've had epic moments these last few years, ones where I knew they were once in a lifetime events.  So lucky.  Some of that is private, and much of it depends on being with friends.

I'm happy to debate what constitutes "experience", but nothing beats playing the course and having a place to talk about it afterwards.  That's the way basketball is.  Run around, bang each other's brains out on the court, and afterwards have a beverage, and enjoy that elated tired feeling, when you competed and laughed together.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 01:51:20 AM by John Kirk »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2012, 02:05:40 AM »
John
They must have made major improvements to the infrastructure of Wild Horse. The course was great, but the rest was kinda blah when I was there about 5 years ago.

John Kirk

« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2012, 02:40:41 AM »
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 07:15:48 PM by John Kirk »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2012, 06:40:02 AM »
Sorry guys but that is Sam Morrow's top 25 list. I've forgotten better courses than on that list. Do you really think Riviera isn't in my top 25? 

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2012, 12:18:59 PM »

I'll take a stab at it.
I have played 4 on the original list. Sage, Kinloch, Honors, Cherokee Plantation.
They were all rather different. Sage, immaculate, service beyond service. Epic facilities. Numerous caddies from Augusta.
                                           Kinloch. IMO, more "serious"golf. Great facilities, great caddies. A little less "formal" vibe than Sage.
                                           Cherokee Plantation. I didn't go in "the big house." We were the only people on the course. More of a family retreat than golf oriented. Detailed your car while breakfast by the fire. Stopped for lunch after 9.
                                            Honors. Down home, low key. Great golf atmosphere, but yet a low key nature to the place. A more "casual" feel to the place, yet "pure" golf.
It's hard to put a feel to these places in words. To me it's more of a "vibe" than anything else. And, as I said before, I think Dismal has the vibe too. They just feel different.       

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2012, 03:33:16 PM »
Here is the second 25 of the Top 50 Golf Retreats from the Golf Digest Index Winter 2006-2007 Issue.

26.  Seven Canyons
27.  RTJ GC
28.  Spring Creek Ranch
29.  The Farm
30.  The Preserve GC
31.  Mayfield Sand Ridge
32.  Piping Rock
33.  Laurel Valley
34.  Old Waverly
35.  Colleton River (Tie)
35.  Old Memorial  (Tie)
37.  Kingsley
38.  Sleepy Hollow
39.  Eagle Point
40.  Nantucket GC
41.  Yeamans Hall
42.  Pete Dye GC (Tie)
42.  Secession (Tie)
44.  Kittansett
45.  CC of NC
46.  Maroon Creek
47.  GC of TN
48.  C at Las Campanas
49.  Grandfather
50.  Firestone

Mac Plumart

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2012, 03:40:31 PM »
I love that Kingsley is on that list, Mark.  What a great getaway from it all pure golf experience it is.  Thanks.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2012, 03:47:27 PM »
Mac,

Agree on Kingsley, about as good as it gets! 

Wonder if The Farm is still on the list after a certain group played last year? 

Mac Plumart

« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2012, 03:54:18 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Despite the fact I shot over 100 and fell in a creek on the front nine, The Farm does it right.  Like Bruce talked about, the vibe at places like The Farm is something special.  The vibe at The Farm was laid back, about the golf, luxurious but not pampered or stuffy.  Just really nice to be there.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2012, 04:07:40 PM »
Me, Eric, Chris and a cowboy sat with a tear in our eye as we toasted your Dad right after he passed. We were alone at the bar at Dismal on closing weekend. A bourbon poured for your Dad alone by an empty chair. The cabins empty, the help sent home, a last drink of the season. Beat that for an experience, bitch.
St.Andrews graveyard, climbed over the wall with a friend and two bottles of Springbank. Sat between Od Tom and young Tom and toasted a friend gone too soon from ALS. Same type of experience. Good Lord we are all odd but a good bunch. Both bottles suffered severe damage as did our livers.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

John Goldasich

« Reply #40 on: July 16, 2012, 11:46:44 PM »
Great story Ed... I've had a pint or two in that graveyard myself.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back