News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Re: Chicago Area golf recommendations
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2012, 06:16:02 PM »
other interesting restaurant options:

Owen & Engine
Urban Belly
Slurping Turtle
Au Cheval
Frontera Grill/Xoco/Topolobompo
DMK Burger Bar
Fish Bar
Arami
Macku Sishi
Girl & the Goat
Arun's
The Bristol
GT Fish & Oyster
Lao Shanghai
Mexique
Smoque BBQ
Spacca Napoli
Twin Anchors
Pizzeria Due
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Johnson

« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2012, 08:46:39 PM »
let me put out a huge rec on Sunda.

Contemporary asian.   one of the best meals I have had in the past few years and I am a foodie.   On every course, we said I have never that this done so well.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2012, 08:50:08 PM »
Is this "Check, Please?"
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

SL_Solow

« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2012, 09:28:07 PM »
All these Chicago people and nobody mentions Harold's Chicken Shack

Mark Smolens

« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2012, 10:16:26 PM »
No love for Mr. DiBuono? For a group your size, head for Tufano's on the outskirts of Little Italy. "Neighborhood" Italian food, huge portions, and very reasonable prices. Plus Joey plays more golf than any three people on this Board, and loves to talk golf. . .

David Harshbarger

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2012, 10:28:22 PM »
Shaw's Crab House was my go to stop when travelling to Chicago.  The wide selection of oysters was fantastic. 

Alinea is the world class molecular gastronomy restaurant, if you want to spend more on food than on golf.  It may be harder to get into than CGC.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Howard Riefs

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2012, 10:50:52 PM »
I'm confident they'll enjoy visiting Wiener Circle at 2 a.m. on weekend night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo1LPf9mnyU

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Bill Seitz

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2012, 11:06:24 PM »

Beat me to it. For all of the pub it gets for the show, the char dogs are really pretty good. I used to live right around the corner and picked up food from there pretty often. That was usually at about five or six in the early evening when it was much less crowded, everyone was sober, and there was no act.  And this clip is much funnier:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhSWYFgYgqQ

Jud_T

« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2012, 07:33:59 AM »
and don't forget to order the chocolate shake...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

PCCraig

« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2012, 09:08:23 AM »
and don't forget to order the chocolate shake...

That'll cost you $20.
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2012, 09:10:45 AM »

Beat me to it. For all of the pub it gets for the show, the char dogs are really pretty good. I used to live right around the corner and picked up food from there pretty often. That was usually at about five or six in the early evening when it was much less crowded, everyone was sober, and there was no act.  And this clip is much funnier:

That video is incredible, saw it last week and cracked up.

I'm with Bill in that I actually think the dogs there are pretty good, but become great around 3am. Nothing like waking up on a couch with mustard and Merks cheddar all over your shirt.  8)
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2012, 09:14:09 AM »
All these Chicago people and nobody mentions Harold's Chicken Shack

Yes! Followed by a visit to the Calumet Fisheries (http://www.calumetfisheries.com/) :)
H.P.S.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2012, 09:14:50 AM »
Simon,

Enough about the food!!! Do you need tee times for 12 or are you looking to golf with hosts?  If you want a taste of American golf I can get you on Rich Harvest Links.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2012, 09:25:50 AM »

I'm with Bill in that I actually think the dogs there are pretty good, but become great around 3am. Nothing like waking up on a couch with mustard and Merks cheddar all over your shirt.  8)

Pat:

You of all people should know it is spelled "Merkts" cheese.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Mike Hendren

« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2012, 09:27:24 AM »
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 12:37:06 PM by Michael_Hendren »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

John McCarthy

« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2012, 09:40:59 AM »
Re Tigerman's recommendations:  

Owen & Engine - fantastic, was there last Saturday.  They have a private room upstairs that should be perfect for twelve.  
Urban Belly -  great, but do twelve hungry Scotsmen want to sit in a stripmall parking lot waiting for a table?  
Slurping Turtle - haven't been
Au Cheval - same
Frontera Grill/Xoco/Topolobompo  -  Frontera does not take reservations, Topolobampo does - and it is a can't miss when in Chicago
DMK Burger Bar - good
Fish Bar - haven't benn
Arami - same
Macku Sishi - same
Girl & the Goat - really good, Michelin starred I think.  Make reservations now - hard to get a table.  
Arun's - do not go to Arun's.  Overpriced and really not special anymore.  I live a half mile away and I never go there.  
The Bristol - real good.  
GT Fish & Oyster - never been
Lao Shanghai - never been
Mexique - I love this place.  
Smoque BBQ - Fantastic.  Almost as good bbq as mine.  No reservation need but bring your own beer and wine.  
Spacca Napoli - not my favorite.  Coalfire is better.  
Twin Anchors - eh
Pizzeria Due - I have not been here since high school.  

The very best restaurants in the city (I haven't been to Alinia, Next) are Schwa and Goosefoot.  Don't bother going there with twelve guys after golfing.  In fact you couldn't get at table at Schwa for sure (biggest table is six).  Best thick crust pizza is in Burt's in Morton Grove - but ordering there is also a pain in the ass since you have to order the thing a few days ahead of time.  But on a northshore day it is on the way back to the city it is great.  

Sepia:  this is perfect.  I have been going here for years and have never had a bad meal.  I kinda know the chef and he is immensely talented.  My favorite steak is from Sepia.  There also is a private room in the back where I'm pretty sure 12 can sit comfortably.  

When in Chicago you should also try at least one high end Mexican restaurant.  Topolobompo as stated above is the best bet.  But if you want to get into the neighborhoods Mixteco is real nice and Sol de Mexico has some famous moles.  

On the next Check, Please...

on edit:  I belong to two message boards.  GCA and lthforum.com - a local food message board.  Go there, search around.  This link (I can't figure out how to put links here ) http://www.lthforum.com/bb/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=32598 are their Great Neighborhood Restaurants.  These tend to be more ethnic, cheaper but really good spots. 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 09:48:07 AM by John McCarthy »
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

PCCraig

« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2012, 09:46:42 AM »

Pat:

You of all people should know it is spelled "Merkts" cheese.

Oops! My bad! It's still early...
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2012, 09:48:17 AM »
John,

Twin Anchors - "Eh"

Come on!!!! Really?
H.P.S.

John McCarthy

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2012, 09:53:28 AM »
John,

Twin Anchors - "Eh"

Come on!!!! Really?

They have been living on the "Sinatra eats here" thing for decades.  The ribs are Chicago style ribs which, as everyone knows, is not real BBQ.  The rest of it is vaguely Chicago Italian which is done better at two dozen places around town.  But if one wants to fire down ten beers waiting for a table in an overcrowded and overheated bar then this is the spot for you.  
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

PCCraig

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2012, 10:50:45 AM »
John,

Twin Anchors - "Eh"

Come on!!!! Really?

They have been living on the "Sinatra eats here" thing for decades.  The ribs are Chicago style ribs which, as everyone knows, is not real BBQ.  The rest of it is vaguely Chicago Italian which is done better at two dozen places around town.  But if one wants to fire down ten beers waiting for a table in an overcrowded and overheated bar then this is the spot for you.  

Fair enough John :)

I think the folks there would be the first to tell you that their ribs aren't BBQ. But they still taste great to me. Plus they've recently upped their beer list which now includes Allagash and I can't get enough of the dark rye bread they put out before the meal. The best meal in Chicago? No, but I find it to be the prototypical "Chicago" bar/restaurant and usually a fun casual time.

To be honest, I'm not sure I've had anything other than the ribs there. (In reference to your Chicago Italian comment).
H.P.S.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2012, 11:01:53 AM »
John,

Twin Anchors - "Eh"

Come on!!!! Really?

I live about a half-mile from there and wouldn't recommend it to an enemy.  Slop.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

jonathan_becker

« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2012, 11:09:04 AM »
Simon: stay downtown - near north or gold coast.  Eat where the hot women are eating. It's really that simple, Simon (sorry, couldn't resist... :).

This is good advice.

And if you want the best charbroiled chicken you've ever had in your life, grab a cab to Bucktown and eat at Nick's Pit Stop.  It might not fit all 12 of you guys, but the chicken is unbelieveable!  Damen and Armitage are the cross streets.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2012, 11:35:50 AM »
It's amazing how good some folks are at blowing other people's money on expensive stuff. Simon, while you're here, I also suggest you pick up a lakefront mansion in Lake Forest and one of the new McLarens. Oh, and don't forget to buy a case or two of '82 Lafite... Sheesh

Well, suggesting McDonalds and whatever you can find in the dumpster behind Portillo's probably wasn't what Simon had in mind.  Most of the restaurants on Jud's list are pretty reasonable, $15-$25 per person before drinks.  

Jud_T

« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2012, 11:49:52 AM »
I assumed he wasn't looking to drop $500 a head for the 20 course tasting and wine pairings at Alinea so I didn't include it,  and frankly I think that whole molecular gastronomy thing is a bit passe...also here's a plug for my new favorite place, run by my cousin, Publican Quality Meats...if you're not around for lunch they have do have burger, beer and bourbon nights:

http://publicanqualitymeats.com/

Howard Riefs

« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2012, 12:09:01 PM »
here's a plug for my new favorite place, run by my cousin, Publican Quality Meats...if you're not around for lunch they have do have burger, beer and bourbon nights:

http://publicanqualitymeats.com/

I'm a big fan of cousin Paul.

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back