News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Martin

Re: Where should the US Open be played in 2020?
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2012, 08:30:55 PM »
I like the Winged Foot choice and hope it comes back after being at Pebble. It has always been one of the great tests and the sister course provides all the room and infrastructure required. That said it is heart breaking to see the beating that the East Course takes while the tournament is going on.

Tim Martin

« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2012, 08:34:32 PM »
Guys,

Tom is right. I got the information from the new superintendent at Winged Foot. Gil Hanse redesigns both courses before the US Open will be hosted there.

Angela-Did you say redesign? I think you better look at the glossary in the GCA manifesto.;)

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2012, 08:37:53 PM »
Why can't it be somewhere like say Royal New Kent? The course has been changed from Strantz' design, but surely the USGA would re-work it. The corporation has another course adjacent to the property.

I would reverse the 9's for the Open.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2012, 09:12:32 PM »
The only ting wrong with New York venues is the stupid crow yelling when the players hit their shots. the Your the Man etc gets olf. We have a little of that at Olympic and it is embarrassing.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2012, 09:18:29 PM »
Why can't it be somewhere like say Royal New Kent? The course has been changed from Strantz' design, but surely the USGA would re-work it. The corporation has another course adjacent to the property.

I would reverse the 9's for the Open.

It would be fun to see the pros play at Royal New Kent but it is not really a walkable course because of the distance between holes. It would be like playing the US Open at the Plantation course at Kapalua.

I would love to see a Nationwide event there and they could shuttle players from 2 to 3 and 14 to 15 with a cart.

There is plenty of parking nearby as there is a horse racetrack, Colonial Downs next to the 16th hole. Unfortunately, I-64 would back up for miles as there are only two roads between Richmond and RNK.

You could finish on no. 18 if they moved some dirt and built an amphitheater behind the hole. I would even fill in the lake behind the green so that it is no longer an island green.

I would play no. 2 as a par 4 instead of par 5 because the pros can reach the green going across the gully.

This is fun to think about but the US Open is already going to Pinehurst in 2014 and perhaps 2022.

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2012, 09:34:49 PM »
How about the US Open freshens itself up, this monotony has got to stop, testing golfers by accuracy off the tee is not what golf is about, and it should be changed. The world may well be a better place in 2020, and I will bet the world of golf especially professional golf will have changed.

Why isn't an event of this calibre designed to test all facets of their game, not just with the big stick - sorry the Driver?

What effect will post 2016 Olympics layout have on the USGA Group think?

I think the US Open needs to free (& refresh in the process) itself up, and the best place (IMO) to do this is Old Macdonald (as Jud said earlier), or to really test the pros, play one round on each course at Bandon with the final Rd at Old MAC - Mr Keiser's retirement (  ;) )gift to the golf world, Bandon Dunes to the USGA for two weeks.  ;D :o

This of course won't be acceptable to the Pro's - too many variables, too much work for their caddies, they may be found out...

US Open = dull, repetitive and disconnected to the rest of us golfers, not the same game.
@theflatsticker

Doug Siebert

« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2012, 01:23:45 AM »
Given the traffic the 5th major thread is getting, the USGA needs to look at Dismal River. The army must have a few surplus tents from our excursions to the middle east in recent years that could be set up for accommodations.

Or FEMA trailers left over from Katrina.  I'm sure Tom would love to see his fairways narrowed by 70%, greens with too much slope to stimp at 13 softened, the long par 5 playing longer and the short par 4 playing shorter ;D
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2012, 02:17:25 AM »
Could Winged Foot East have it, or is it too short?

It always looked just as interesting, if not moreso, than the West.

American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2012, 01:18:30 PM »
Given the traffic the 5th major thread is getting, the USGA needs to look at Dismal River. The army must have a few surplus tents from our excursions to the middle east in recent years that could be set up for accommodations.

Or FEMA trailers left over from Katrina.  I'm sure Tom would love to see his fairways narrowed by 70%, greens with too much slope to stimp at 13 softened, the long par 5 playing longer and the short par 4 playing shorter ;D

You misunderstood. The tents go on Tom's course.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill Seitz

« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2012, 01:44:37 PM »
Personally I hated watching golf that late at night.  Any word if having golf on at Prime Time makes the USGA more money?

I loved it!  I was able to get in 18 at Kingsley starting at 9:00 am, drive the 5+ hours back to Chicago, and still watch the entire round by the leaders. 

Sam Morrow

« Reply #60 on: June 21, 2012, 12:06:24 AM »
I've got the course in the Metroplex to host an Open, Old American! I think there is room to stretch out the course, it's in lots of property with The Tribute next door. The fairways are very wide so Mike Davis would love to narrow them up and kill all the cool angles into the greens.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #61 on: June 21, 2012, 10:56:43 AM »
The Country Club-Brookline

I would be willing to bet TCC gets 2023.

Pat:

I was under the distinct impression that TCC's membership has declined to host the US Open again, due to the circus involved. The Amateur isn't quite the hurricane that the Open is. I think this goes back aways, as the story I heard was that the USGA really wanted TCC to host the 2013 US Open to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Oiumet's win, but that the club declined.

TCC's membership is fairly fickle when it comes to championship golf. They were awarded the 1999 Ryder Cup with the caveat that they would also host the 2005 PGA. After the circus of the Ryder Cup subsided and they understood the cost of hosting a modern golf tournament (their Primrose nine was unplayable for a long time afterwards) they gave the PGA a big nevermind for the 2005 event, which was later awarded to Baltusrol.

Even though they weren't interested in hosting the PGA, there was significant discussion between the club and USGA about hosting the 2013 Open to mark the 100 year anniversary of Francis Ouimet's victory. The USGA was willing to do a "smaller" Open at TCC but ultimately Merion was chosen instead, where a US Am was just hosted. The USGA awarded TCC the Am in 2013 to celebrate the 100 year anniversary as well as to give it a dry run to see how the course does with the long hitting young players of today. Apparently the USGA is open to returning to some of the smaller classical sites (Merion, TCC) every so often and there is a very strong chance given a successful 2013 Am that the Open will be awarded to TCC sometime next decade. 

Not sure things are that advanced with TCC's Membership... the problem with having a large event at TCC (Open, Ryder Cup etc..) is the parking and infrastructure... Which, based on how densely populated that area is makes it tough to find a solution ... Of large concern to TCC in the aftermath of RC 1999 was the repair costs to Putterham Meadows next door... the club promised to pay for repairs after using the course as a parking lot in 1999 during the Ryder Cup The repair project took over 2 years and the Town of Brookline was not happy with the result and TCC was less than thrilled with the final cost.

If they are to hold a major event at TCC again, they need a totally different set-up for handling the crowds and infrastructure... given the horror stories from 1999, no-one seems particularly willing to step up... it's hard to think of any one place that could handle that amount of cars and unlike Fenway, TCC is not close to any major subway stops etc... Someone other than the club would need to look at the overall boost to the local economy and twist some arms to make it happen, but since Brookline is it's own governing structure, and they have their own issues with TCC the City of Boston would likely have to step up... Not sure that Mayor Mumbles would want to put this on his plate, especially since he's shown very little interest in the game himself.

Add to that the fact the course needs some work and the whole thing starts to seem like too much trouble... It's not like the club or membership needs the money....
Next!

Scott Weersing

« Reply #62 on: June 21, 2012, 06:56:08 PM »
I've got the course in the Metroplex to host an Open, Old American! I think there is room to stretch out the course, it's in lots of property with The Tribute next door. The fairways are very wide so Mike Davis would love to narrow them up and kill all the cool angles into the greens.

These two courses fit the bill for what the USGA is looking for in lots of room, close to a big city, and interesting views. Now, a person needs to convince the USGA that these are worthy. They should try to host a mid-am at one of the courses so the USGA could consider it.

Anything is possible if you can get the attention of the USGA. Maybe Justin Leonard can sell it to Mike Davis.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2012, 07:02:27 PM »
I think it'll go to Oakland Hills (first choice), but I'd also like to see it at Winged Foot.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Sam Morrow

« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2012, 08:48:32 PM »

These two courses fit the bill for what the USGA is looking for in lots of room, close to a big city, and interesting views. Now, a person needs to convince the USGA that these are worthy. They should try to host a mid-am at one of the courses so the USGA could consider it.

Anything is possible if you can get the attention of the USGA. Maybe Justin Leonard can sell it to Mike Davis.

Plus Tripp Davis is a very accomplished amateur player.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back