News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Merion 2013
« on: June 13, 2012, 07:54:28 AM »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Rich Goodale

Re: Merion 2013
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 08:00:40 AM »
How about non-member Tom Paul.  I think he's out there too.  Could Moriarty and MacWood be far behind?
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 09:13:23 AM »
We better have some security there,a hockey game could break out.

Any GCA guys volunteering?
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 09:14:18 AM »
I signed up as a volunteer.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 09:30:58 AM »
Steve,

I think it's terrific when the great courses host the Opens, but, I have to wonder, at what price architecturally.

Many courses have altered holes, Oak Hill immediately comes to mind.

Other courses have altered their greens, Winged Foot and Merion come to mind.

Other courses have altered, dramatically altered their fairway/rough lines and haven't restored them to their pre-Open configuration.

Are those prices that are too high to pay ?

Have hi-tech and the best golfers in the world combined to render these courses defenseless to scoring without dramatic alterations or conditions.  Do courses have to come close to losing their greens in order to defend themselves at that end ?

I've always loved The Masters, The U.S. Open and the British Open, but, is the U.S. Open running out of courses that can host that tournament without permanently disfiguring the venue ?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 10:48:30 AM »
Pat,

Personally, I believe the USGA should build, own and operate 3 or 4 courses throughout the country to specifically host their Open;however, that will never happen. In the meantime, the USGA will take over courses and redo them for their purposes and the private clubs and public venues will profit financially and prestige wise.

If you can obtain Mike Davis for your next event at Mountain Ridge,then this question should be directed to him.

Good luck with the the Senior Am at Mountain Ridge.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 11:02:58 AM »
Steve,

Thanks.

Mike was a terrific speaker at our last get together at Mountain Ridge and was very candid in his response to questions from those attending.

If I hold another get together I'll be sure to invite Mike.

If it will ever stop raining, the course will begin to dry out and get to it's ideal playing conditions, which is fast and firm.

The changes to the 12th, 13th and 15th holes along with tree removal have enhanced the course significantly.

We've prepared well and just need Mother Nature to co-operate

JMEvensky

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 12:10:30 PM »
How about non-member Tom Paul.  I think he's out there too.  Could Moriarty and MacWood be far behind?

Think TEP should steer clear of the Reichenbach Falls?

Joey Chase

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 12:37:39 PM »
Steve,

I think it's terrific when the great courses host the Opens, but, I have to wonder, at what price architecturally.

Many courses have altered holes, Oak Hill immediately comes to mind.

Other courses have altered their greens, Winged Foot and Merion come to mind.

Other courses have altered, dramatically altered their fairway/rough lines and haven't restored them to their pre-Open configuration.

Are those prices that are too high to pay ?

Have hi-tech and the best golfers in the world combined to render these courses defenseless to scoring without dramatic alterations or conditions.  Do courses have to come close to losing their greens in order to defend themselves at that end ?

I've always loved The Masters, The U.S. Open and the British Open, but, is the U.S. Open running out of courses that can host that tournament without permanently disfiguring the venue ?
Don't you think adding courses like Bethpage, Torrey Pines, Chambers Bay and Erin Hills are welcome changes in venue?  At least the latter two are modern enough that the "disfiguring" is less scrutinized.  Is it possible there are other courses in this vein that could also come across the USGA's radar?

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 01:07:14 PM »
Patrick,
12, 13, and 15 have been improved?  How about the new back tee on 14 or the change to the 2nd fairway?

I was playing with a friend a couple of weeks ago who told me that his friend who's a Merion member (not Wayne) said that drainage on #12 has been a mess after the changes.

I honestly don't like what they've done to Merion East OR will do to Merion West.   I certainly understand the thrill of holding an Open, but at what cost?

Bill Crane

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 01:38:14 PM »
My longtime Merion friend and his son flew to San Fran to join the contingent and will be there from Tuesday through Sunday.  Lucky kid, they live right near the course.

Seems like the longer holes were the ones they were able to lengthen especially 5, 12, 18, perhaps some others.  I played from the back about three years ago when a few new tees had been added.   5 was a bear, likewise 18.  I have heard some grousing about changes to the 12th green to soften the pitch - which was fearsome.

Walker Cup at Merion was really fun, perhaps my favorite golf viewing experience.  With no ropes, at one point Rickie Fowler tapped me on the shoulder and asked me to move so he could hit his shot.  Since Fowler and Uihlein were winning matches at 6 and 5 it was crowded on the back nine with only a few matches left to watch.  Stiggy was entertaining, he smoked a hybrid still over the quarry on the par 3 17th playing about 230+ yds.

Will be playing there in two weeks, home and away, two father and son match ups!

Sean Leary

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 05:26:53 PM »
Patrick,
12, 13, and 15 have been improved?  How about the new back tee on 14 or the change to the 2nd fairway?

I was playing with a friend a couple of weeks ago who told me that his friend who's a Merion member (not Wayne) said that drainage on #12 has been a mess after the changes.

I honestly don't like what they've done to Merion East OR will do to Merion West.   I certainly understand the thrill of holding an Open, but at what cost?

Dan,

He is talking about Mountain Ridge..

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 07:04:27 PM »
Oops - my apologies!

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 09:57:17 PM »

Ed, I'm in to volunteer as well, I signed up when GAP volunteers/raters were notified. 
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2012, 08:17:00 AM »

Howard Riefs

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2012, 08:35:17 AM »
From WSJ's article on U.S. Open volunteers:

"Demand is so high that the slots for 2013’s U.S. Open in Ardmore, Pa., have already filled up with a waiting list."

http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2012/06/13/us-open-golf-tales-from-golfs-volunteer-army/
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 08:57:19 AM »

Ed, I'm in to volunteer as well, I signed up when GAP volunteers/raters were notified. 
  Doug,
I think there will be a few GCA guys from GAP, so thats great. Now we just have to hope for a good hole to work. Did 11 for the U.S.Am, saw so many dumb tee shots it was astounded.

ed

Carr Harris

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 08:59:06 AM »
Forgive me if this has been discussed already elsewhere but will they use the wicker baskets for the open next year or conventional flags?

My host there last year swore that they were going to use the baskets (and I would love nothing more then if they did), but it seems to me that if they did the USGA would be opening themselves up to a lot of criticism from whiny touring pros.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 09:21:43 AM »
They used the baskets for every USGA event I went to there. There are featured on every logo, print and promo piece. They are even on the hand towels in the locker rooms. I cannot imagine them not being used, TRAVESTY!!!

jonathan_becker

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 09:54:40 AM »
Carr,

According to this link that tours the course, Merion is now using regular flags instead of the wickers.   :)

http://wn.com/Merion_Golf_Club,_East

Phil McDade

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2012, 10:33:24 AM »
Pat,

Personally, I believe the USGA should build, own and operate 3 or 4 courses throughout the country to specifically host their Open;however, that will never happen. In the meantime, the USGA will take over courses and redo them for their purposes and the private clubs and public venues will profit financially and prestige wise.

Steve: I like this idea, and the USGA seems to be moving somewhat toward this model -- see this thread I initiated a while back:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,51901.0.html

Tim Martin

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2012, 06:47:19 PM »
No issues scoring ducats this morning.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back