News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Post Party Post
« on: June 06, 2012, 09:03:20 AM »
There are two hot topic emails received in the past week on the international global world campus of GolfClubAtlas.com. The first is: How hard was it to teach Tiger that flop shot? And second, how did the Bubba Open go?

Front of Scorecard- Bright Lights, Small Town

Back of Scorecard

Contested on May 26th on the property of a historic estate, this five hole, par 23, 248 yards whiffle ball course was hailed as an instant classic, mostly by me the architect. I didn’t have a budget so I didn’t exceed it. Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a pith helmet to don during the ~twelve minute routing process. I did find a wool blanket which I used as a cape but it was scratchy and uncomfortable in the 90f heat. The only dirt moved was in the creation of the cups and making room for the bamboo flagsticks. Apart from the Bubba juice laced with moonshine, here is what was going through my giant brain as I routed what some consider to be the Pine Valley Short Course of the South:

1st hole: Need to get play away smoothly as many of the contestants don’t play golf. Thus, the hole was entirely open from tee to green. The land was pitched left to right so best come in from the right for an uphill chip/putt for birdie.

2nd hole: The signature hole  ;), I dare say, as it featured a pine tree in the middle which masterfully created a spilt fairway 20 yards from the tee. Risk reward options abounded! The green was tucked over to the right, thus giving it a right to left tilt in contrast to the 1st green.

Played downhill, the full glories of the property were realized.

On the high side to the right of the green was a formidable array of pine cones and pine straw. Very Royal Ashdown Forest, if you ask me. Only later did several of us realize ticks were also part of the challenge from this unkempt, natural hazard.

3rd hole: At the bottom of the property, the question became how to get back up the hill without feeling the need for Tenzing Norgay. Hence, the idea of a dogleg popped into my cranium and so the fairway was swung gracefully to the right around a magnolia tree. The golfer was never discouraged as he was never visually presented with a dreary long slog uphill. Tucked into an alcove of trees, the green was particularly well defended. However, as nothing could grow under the branches, the dirt putting surface acted as the truest putting surface on the course. Consequently, the hole played the most under par among the 24 contestants.

Devilish to get to but once on the third green, putts and chips were made from as far away as seven feet.

4th hole: No better way to balance out the left to right swings of the prior two holes than with one that goes the other way (i.e. right to left), which is what I did here. Those that tried to cheat the integrity of the dogleg found that the holly trees presented quite a prickly problem.

5th hole: A Kanonkop hole if ever there was one! Played uphill, the tee shot had to be launched up and over a back brick wall that measured nearly five feet. The green was up above in the garden sitting area and the Great Gatsby style house provided a magnificent backdrop. The host for the Bubba Open insisted that a broken John Deere tractor be parked in front of the brink wall in keeping with the theme of the event. Indeed, if anyone had holed out in 1, he or she would have won the non-working tractor.

Taken a week after the event, a dance floor had been set up for a black tie fundraiser on what had been my Home green . Despite the good cause, some consider this one of the most most outrageous acts ever perpetrated against a Master Architect. Now I know how dead architects like Thomas and MacKenzie would feel if they saw their mutilated work today.

As the alcohol kicked into a higher, more spiritual level on the eve after the Bubba Open, my eyes misted up a bit as I gazed from the Kanonkop green down across the nearly 2 acres, thinking: God intended this to be a par 23 whiffle ball course!

Uninvited, Gary Player was unsurprisingly not in attendance. However, if he was, he would have no doubt twitted that “The Broadhearth Course is the finest course of its type that I have ever seen!’ Fazio would have thought more earth should have been moved. Doak would have thought the greens lacked interior movement, despite no doubt appreciating their low profile nature and Garden City-like tilts. Rees would have added some mounds off to the sides. Bill Coore would have wanted another 100 acres before ultimately declining the project. Rod Whitman would have said nothing but disappeared onto the 2 acres for a few days, living on beer and berries. Other architects would have proposed wedging in condos in the gap between 2 and 3/4/5 making it a win-win (i.e. both the developer AND his wife would make plenty of money). Raters have started to call, looking for free golf.

As it was, great fun was had by all.

Thank you for playing.

;D

Cheers,

P.S. The girls from the (secret) Society of Bridget organized this event and graciously scheduled it both well past the Masters and well before the US Open as they didn’t want it to overshadow either. ESPN obliged in not letting the media over hype it and stayed away. As the girls dressed in Daisy Dukes and as the guys dressed like Bubba on Masters Sunday, this should put to rest Bill McBride’s outlandish claims that I have an aversion to rednecks. The can of redneck repellent underneath my Adirondack chair is strictly there under doctor’s orders, nothing more, nothing less.

Bill_McBride

Re: Post Party Post
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 09:13:06 AM »
Gotta love those sand greens!   ;D.  Very Ross-ish. 

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 09:17:10 AM »
I thought the standard script is to open without stated par, and then add it after everyone bitches. On the other hand, you save at least five dollars by not having to reprint the scorecards.

JC Jones

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 09:18:25 AM »
At least he kept it real by not having a slope rating.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Jud_T

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 09:24:51 AM »
I like the strategic options on the approach to number 3.  Either take it just inside the tree to have the ball feed down to the hole or leave yourself with a long uphill putt for birdie.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Carl Nichols

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 09:48:49 AM »
That's a pretty nice house for a Bubba/redneck

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 09:54:29 AM »
And not one single car parked on the lawn.  What gives?
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

George Pazin

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 09:55:51 AM »
I'm having trouble spotting the templates, perhaps the more learned George could lend a hand...
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

PThomas

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 10:04:42 AM »
the tree haters are salivating Ran...

and very cool re wiffle balls...i used to hit them at street signs in my parents lawn!
199 played, only Augusta National left to play!

Jim Johnson

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 10:13:56 AM »
Was it a walking-only course?

Ted Sturges

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 11:15:27 AM »
This hidden gem is destined to remain a well kept secret.  It is certainly not a course that will ever benefit from the publicity it might achieve through Golf Digest and their "Top 100 in the US" rankings.  Sadly, I saw no cart paths in the photos, so their illustrious group of panelists will no doubt steer clear of this thoughtfully routed masterpiece, as it would be impossible for them to experience the course if they were not permitted to ride.

TS

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 11:39:11 AM »
Slight resemblance to the picture gracing the home page. So slght it is barely noticeable.

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 12:23:25 PM »

I regret my visit to Ran's was in January and the course was closed for the winter.
I have several observations regarding the above picture. No mention was made of the flamingos in their natural habitat.
Nor was mention made of the possible alternate tee, out the opened second story window.  Just saying.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 12:38:08 PM »
As the genuine article, I am truly offended by this event.  Top ten issues:

1.  I failed to notice a broken washing machine and removed automotive bench seat on the porch of the clubhouse.

2.  The architecture called for white-washed automotive tires halfway embedded in the ground as hazards.

3.  I saw not a single gourd hanging from the trees.

4.  The male participants should have been attired in jorts (google it if you dare!).

5.  The cups should have been Red Solo.

6.  Participants would have utilized riding lawn mowers, sans hood.

7.  Instead of bunker rakes chain saws would have been available on each hole.

8.  Instead of flag sticks, gig handles would have marked the hole location.

9.  T's should have been wet.

10. The tractor should have been on blocks.

Posuers.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 12:42:44 PM »
and headphones with the Katy Perry song shoulod have been allowed.

Matt MacIver

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 12:49:20 PM »
Are you waiting to see where the divots fall to build your bunkers? 

Bill Brightly

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 06:29:14 PM »
While Ran surely deserves partial design credit for this course, I feel strongly that others need to be recognized.The course was clearly laid out by the landscapers who mowed the grass and maintained the flower beds prior to Ran's involvcement in the project. And the owner of the home decided upon the exact placement of the tractor. Someone needs to research the names of these co-designers so the record can be set straight.

Daryl David

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 06:39:16 PM »

2nd hole: The signature hole  ;), I dare say, as it featured a pine tree in the middle which masterfully created a spilt fairway 20 yards from the tee. Risk reward options abounded! The green was tucked over to the right, thus giving it a right to left tilt in contrast to the 1st green.

Played downhill, the full glories of the property were realized.

Are you sure that hole isn't at Sahalee?  Sure looks like it.  ;)

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 08:50:50 PM »
Well, I guess you now need to add a water hazard ("Lake Blubba"?) to the home course of...The Bubba Open.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 09:20:28 PM »
Well, I guess you now need to add a water hazard ("Lake Blubba"?) to the home course of...The Bubba Open.

I'll bite.   Porque?

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2013, 09:22:38 PM »
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2013, 10:11:53 PM »

mike_beene

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2013, 11:56:59 PM »
This is excellent programming for ESPN 8 aka the Ocho.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2013, 12:32:43 PM »
rumor has it that one of Ran's offspring claimed that the first hole could be driven...Ran denied this claim upways and downwards, sidewhich 'till next octember. When the progeny successfully followed through on the claim, Ran subsequently disinherited the child.

Oh, and after losing the first playing of the Bubba, Ran had it rescheduled at his convenience and won the second playing.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back