News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob Jenkins

KP 2012 is next week! More info
« on: May 30, 2012, 11:22:29 AM »

KP is at Sagebrush starting next weekend, Saturday and Sunday, June 9 and 10.

Directions to Sagebrush from Vancouver INternational Airport:

From the airport, follow signs to Hwy 99 South, continue south on 99, through the Massey Tunnel and keep going until you get to the interchange with Hwy 91, which is about 6 miles after the tunnel. Exit onto Hwy 91 north and the first exit you will see will take you to Hwy 10 on your right, which is a 4 lane road. Carry on Hwy 10 through Surrey and into Langley. At the end of the Langley bypass you will see signs to Hwy #1, the Trans-Canada Hwy. Go to Hwy #1 East, which is a major freeway. Carry on through Abotsford, Chilliwack and beyond. At Hope, B.C., Hwy #1 exits the freeway. Stay on the freeway which becomes Hwy 5, the Coquiihalla Hwy. Make sure you have gas at this point as it is over 100 km to the next station.

Go up Hwy 5 to Merritt. When going down into Merritt make carry on as if you are going to Kamloops and look for the exit to Hwy 5A which is the old Kamloops Hwy. Signs also point refer to the Nicola Lake Resort area and Quilchena. Get onto 5A past the WalMart  and drive for about 15 minutes. Nicola Lake is on your left. Look for the turn off to Sagebrush which is not well marked and turns up and to the right. If you see the old Quilchena Hotel you have gone too far but may want to check in.

At the gate to Sagebrush use the speaker, push the button and tell them you are with my group for the Kings Putter. Go through and turn down at the first right where you wiill find parking. More posted later today. 

Pete_Pittock

Re: KP 2012 is next week! More info
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 01:08:38 PM »
Directions from the USA. Go north on I-5. In the Bellingham area take exit 256A, turn right at the base of the ramp onto Meridian (Wa SR 539). After four roundabouts/traffic circles you wil get to Lynden, which has a nice Bob's Burger and gas stations. Continue north out of Lynden, turn right at the second signal onto Badger Road (Wa SR 546). Straight at the stop (Nootsack High School) and cross the border at Sumas. After somesignals turn right onto Canada 1 and follow Bob's directions.

On the drive from Hope to Merritt you will notice some Shakespeare. These are part of the old Kettle Valley railroad, and a bard loving constuction engineer got to name many tunnels, water stops, etc. Also you will notice some cement pillboxes. These are bases for avalanche guns.

Remember that Oregon has no sales tax and gas is cheaper in the US than it is in Canada.

It is sad to report that this year's KP location will only allow me to transport two bottles of Oregon Pinot Noir duty free.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 04:55:21 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 01:19:38 PM »
Are there any plans, informal or otherwise for dinner/evening on Friday.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 01:50:56 PM »
Kalen,
I am not aware of any formal plans for Friday night. We have the majority of the rooms at the Quilchina Hotel, so it should be easy to find a table and friends in the dining room or bar.

Richard Choi

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 01:54:34 PM »
Should be there late on Friday night. Looking forward to seeing everyone!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 04:18:23 PM »
Thanks Pete...just wonderin'

Come find me, cause I need to buy both you and Bob a round for setting this up!!

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 04:49:27 PM »

Kalen,

We have not organized a dinner for Friday but the food in past years at the Quilchena has been pretty good. If you want, I can check on the Hideout but that would mean we would be there 3 nights in a row and it is $50 plus tax plus your drinks each night.

There is a Japanese restaurant in Merritt that is actually very good. Hard to believe that is the case in Merritt.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 05:02:53 PM »
Kalen,
I am not aware of any formal plans for Friday night. We have the majority of the rooms at the Quilchina Hotel, so it should be easy to find a table and friends in the dining room or bar.

It's always fun to see old friends on arrival night at a GCA event.   The Quilchena Hotel sounds perfect.  Please check your guns at the bar.

I remember one year in Rye, England when I told a particularly offensive lawyer joke in a pseudo-Italian restaurant......

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 05:40:06 PM »
Bob,

Not a problem, the hotel sounds just fine.  I'll look forward to watching the folks come in.  Who knows maybe they have a piano in the main sitting room and Bill McB can tickle the ivories for us and have a good old fashioned sing-along! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b-Z0SSyUcw

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 05:53:30 PM »
Kalen,
Even though it is Sagebrush Golf & Sporting Club you might want to check with managment before you do some off-roading. It would have been a great trail to the Hideout if it twern't paved.

Sean Leary

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 06:11:56 PM »
Sad I am going to miss this. Have a great time, and Kalen, pleeeeeeeeease don't lose to Garland..... ;)

Advice to the first timers. Don't hit driver on 2, hit hybrid and it will go all the way down the hill. In general, I think it is a course that needs to be played at least twice to be appreciated for how good it really is.

Also if you are reasonably long and the weather is good (yes that means you Choi), play it back because you won't believe how short it plays (1st hole excepted).

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 06:26:52 PM »
Sad I am going to miss this. Have a great time, and Kalen, pleeeeeeeeease don't lose to Garland..... ;)

Advice to the first timers. Don't hit driver on 2, hit hybrid and it will go all the way down the hill. In general, I think it is a course that needs to be played at least twice to be appreciated for how good it really is.

Also if you are reasonably long and the weather is good (yes that means you Choi), play it back because you won't believe how short it plays (1st hole excepted).

Sean,

Thanks for the pep talk.  I'm so confident I'll win this time, I'll retire from GCA.com if I lose!!   ;D

Garland, we're still on for our Sunday morning match right?  It'll work perfect...if I win I can eat lunch, gloat a bit, and then get in the car for a happy drive back to Spokane.  If I lose, I can eat a quick lunch and then vacate the premises quickly!!   :'(

Sean Leary

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 06:47:20 PM »

How many shots do you have to give him? You should play straight up. He is much better than his handicap indicates....

Sean,

Thanks for the pep talk.  I'm so confident I'll win this time, I'll retire from GCA.com if I lose!!   ;D

Garland, we're still on for our Sunday morning match right?  It'll work perfect...if I win I can eat lunch, gloat a bit, and then get in the car for a happy drive back to Spokane.  If I lose, I can eat a quick lunch and then vacate the premises quickly!!   :'(

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2012, 07:57:36 PM »

Bill McBride,

I recall someone telling an offensive lawyer joke in a pseudo-Italian restaurant in Rye, East Sussex a few years ago. Unfortunately I cannot recall the joke. Luckily, I am  no longer a lawyer so I do not give a damn if you were insulting me, even indirectly. It will be MacEwan's problem to deal with it.

We look forward to seeing you.

IF there are any of you who had been hoping to make it to Sagebrush next weekend but had not spoken up, we have had some cancellations so there is room. Please IM me and I will get back to you quickly.

Ted Harris

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 08:37:56 PM »
Hi All - Just wondering if we have a schedule of events or a meeting time on Saturday at the course ?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 08:52:48 PM »
Sean,

So sorry to see you won't be there.

Do you think we can hold Kalen to his quit GCA promise?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2012, 08:54:34 PM »
Ted,
Bob will chime in with final details but it seems like we will have a qet acquainted/photo session morning round sometime around 7:30 or 8. There are other golfers to contend with, so it may be a shotgun start. In the early afternoon we will have the first official round, followed by dinner. Suggest food and beverage be picked up at the Hideout after you tee off on 13 one the morning round and consumed during the continuation of the round. Or depending on your afternoon tee time drive back up to The Hideout and have a leisruely lunch. Hopefully the TV has replay so we can wager and bet on the Belmont. Hopefully that will go better than watching the final game of last year's Stanley Cup final.

The practice for double rounds is to drive down to the parking lot after the first round and exchange carts for the second round. Because of limited parking at The Hideout for dinner I suggest car pooling even though the carts have horns and lights.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2012, 08:54:58 PM »

Will is in charge of pairings. I asked him to put me on the opposite team from you so that my win would count for the team too.
I also promised him $$$$ if we are the first match off Saturday morning.

"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2012, 09:02:05 PM »
Kalen,
I'm betting on you. You've got triple the experience this year. Garland hasn't played golf since March unless it was in the last few days. He must be happy with his 19.6 hdcp. 
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 09:05:20 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Sean Leary

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2012, 09:33:48 PM »
Garland,

Only if you are willing to make the same bet ;)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 10:23:38 PM »
Kalen,
I'm betting on you. You've got triple the experience this year. Garland hasn't played golf since March unless it was in the last few days. He must be happy with his 19.6 hdcp. 

Pete,

You're the rules guy. I have played, but not posted. I have been suffering arthritis in the hands, especially the left, swinging one handed, and not able to break 100. I didn't think it was fair to post those scores as it seemed that warmer weather would give me some relief. I did manage a 95 the other day that should get uploaded next handicap upload. Did I do right by not posting?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 10:25:05 PM »
Garland,

Only if you are willing to make the same bet ;)

Kalen put no such condition on his bet. Why are you giving him an out?
;)

Sean Leary

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 10:31:47 PM »
GB,

Just trying to up the ante.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2012, 10:57:47 PM »
Kalen,

Pete,

You're the rules guy. I have played, but not posted. I have been suffering arthritis in the hands, especially the left, swinging one handed, and not able to break 100. I didn't think it was fair to post those scores as it seemed that warmer weather would give me some relief. I did manage a 95 the other day that should get uploaded next handicap upload. Did I do right by not posting?

You are supposed to post all scores. You're not alone. Your handicap committee can make an adjustment to your handicap because of temporary injuries. If you're waiting for warm to help arthritis you're living in the wrong place. ;)

Will MacEwen

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2012, 11:55:04 AM »
Bob is away on a very important boondoggle for the next few days so any questions should likely be directed to me.  Anyone who hasn't sent me their index/factor should do so now.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back