News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brett_Morrissy

Re: Best entrances to a Club.
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2012, 05:29:13 AM »
Scott, would the Gorse identify it as the Sheep Ranch?
@theflatsticker

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 07:46:45 AM »

This is still one of my favorites.  Unique in the fact that you typically have to open/shut the gate to let yourself in/out.  Also, probably zero concern that the word "tresspassing" is misspelled...

Scott

Scott, if that is the entrance I think it is...then it looks like they upgraded the gate at some point after your visit - because this is what I found when I visited there...and I agree - opening/shutting the gate yourself is pretty cool...

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #27 on: May 31, 2012, 08:49:33 AM »
I'm not sure where the "entrance" to a golf course is strictly understood to begin, but the approach to Newport CC from either side is pretty remarkable.

The nondescriptness of the entrance to Palmetto Golf Club is really cool as well, for the opposite reason.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Keith Phillips

« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2012, 09:24:19 AM »
There is nothing quite like crossing the tracks from industrial New Jersey into the dunes-lined drive up the hill to the fabulous clubhouse of Bayonne Golf Club!

Dan Boerger

« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2012, 01:36:52 PM »
The drive into Old Head is pretty amazing.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Bill Seitz

« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2012, 01:37:30 PM »
Unfortunately it's one of the few things that I didn't get a picture of on our trip last year, but the almost hidden nature of the entrance to the Dunes Club is pretty cool.  Tough not to drive right on by the first time.  

Mike Hendren

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2012, 02:04:16 PM »
The nine holer I grew up playing was once down a gravel road with the 5th green and 6th tee coming into view before turning in to the pre-engineered steel building that was the clubhouse.    During the winter the greens were covered and small circles of sewn rye grass served as "winter greens."    What a great joy it was to approach the course in late Spring and see the flagstick flapping over the regular 5th green.  Better than  Christmas morning. 

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mark McKeever

« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2012, 02:07:09 PM »
I really enjoy driving past the "19" that is inscribed on a tall piece of grey granite at the front entrance...  

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #33 on: May 31, 2012, 02:21:37 PM »
The drive over the tidal salt marsh to Royal West Norfolk, the winding lane down to Royal St George's, across the railway tracks to Royal St David's, down the lane off the busy A64 to Ganton with its enticing glimpses of the 16th, 17th and 18th holes, through a tiny, narrow tunnel in a vast railway embankment to Hartlepool, through the old town of St Andrews to find the Old Course. I'd like to add turning up at the gate of Windsor Castle to play the Royal Household Course, but I've not yet managed that!

George Freeman

« Reply #34 on: May 31, 2012, 04:32:53 PM »

This is still one of my favorites.  Unique in the fact that you typically have to open/shut the gate to let yourself in/out.  Also, probably zero concern that the word "tresspassing" is misspelled...

Scott

Great choice!!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

mike_beene

« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2012, 06:38:39 PM »
I love the little driveway that takes you into Muirfield and the view of the whole grounds

Brian Hilko

« Reply #36 on: May 31, 2012, 06:50:00 PM »
I agree on the dunes club. McArthur is awesome also. If you didn't know there was a golf course there you would never find it.
Down with the brown

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #37 on: May 31, 2012, 06:59:18 PM »
One full of promise, pain and lost balls...

...and one of the best days you can ever have in golf.

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Will Lozier

« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2012, 09:38:28 PM »
The drive over the tidal salt marsh to Royal West Norfolk, the winding lane down to Royal St George's, across the railway tracks to Royal St David's, down the lane off the busy A64 to Ganton with its enticing glimpses of the 16th, 17th and 18th holes, through a tiny, narrow tunnel in a vast railway embankment to Hartlepool, through the old town of St Andrews to find the Old Course. I'd like to add turning up at the gate of Windsor Castle to play the Royal Household Course, but I've not yet managed that!

I like pulling into Deal from RSG and visa versa via that little potholed back road!  And Ganton appears like an oasis out of nowhere even though the land surrounding it is charming in and of itself.

17 Mile Dr. serves as a nice approach to a decent golf course I've been lucky enough to play, a course Tiger B. already mentioned!  Also I believe one of the few opening tee shots hit OVER the road you just drove in on.

Driving up Lookout Mountain is another unique drive to a club as it is rare to drive up a "mountain" to get to a golf course on the top.

Lastly, I love the anticipation of pulling into Highland Links on it's little peninsula on the tip of Nova Scotia strictly for it's scenery.

Cheers

Will Lozier

« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2012, 09:39:15 PM »
One full of promise, pain and lost balls...

...and one of the best days you can ever have in golf.

FBD.

Martin,

Where is this?

Cheers

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #40 on: June 01, 2012, 08:44:28 AM »
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #41 on: June 01, 2012, 08:51:02 AM »
And in Australia -

"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Scott Stearns

« Reply #42 on: June 01, 2012, 09:03:04 AM »
I note that none of these has a "welcome center", much less staffed by an over smiling elderly gentleman in jacket and tie (plus fours optional).

Zack Molnar

« Reply #43 on: June 01, 2012, 08:40:53 PM »
One of my favorite entrances is Yeamans Hall. From the tiny one lane gatehouse opening, followed by driving down the moss draped sand road, crossing over the first fairway where you get a glance at the clubhouse, it is like taking a time machine back 100 years. Magical!

This is also the best that I have experienced. Magical experience. And pulling into Chicago Golf was magical in a different way.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #44 on: June 01, 2012, 09:40:58 PM »
Old Head (the guard gate isn't real welcoming though).

The Lodge at Sea Island.

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #45 on: June 01, 2012, 10:34:44 PM »
I can't believe no one has mentioned it yet.

Merion!!!

With the short par 3 13th to the right and the rarified air streaming in through the windows!

Craig_Rokke

« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2012, 04:46:46 PM »
I can't believe no one has mentioned it yet.

Merion!!!

With the short par 3 13th to the right and the rarified air streaming in through the windows!
I like Merion's too. And Stonewall is another good local one

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2012, 11:21:47 AM »

Martin,

Where is this?

Cheers

Martin,

You can't tell him.  He needs to figure this out.

Will,

Additional hint...

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2012, 11:34:40 AM »
I think this club's entrance is quite special...

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Dave McCollum

« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2012, 01:48:43 PM »
Here’s a homer.  I don’t have good pictures that really capture it.  The first shot below is taken about three quarters to way down the grade.  Basically, you drive through a rim-side neighborhood  and emerge at the top of the grade with the golf “layed out” 500 feet below you.  Then you wind your way down the near vertical canyon wall, past a 400 foot waterfall (second shot, road on left halfway down), and out on the flat with the golf holes.  Since the road switches back, the view in the opposite direction is toward the bridge (rather poorly illustrated in third shot).

There are two main appeals of this entrance:  the first, emerging from the town (and the real world) and dropping down into the wild and wooly canyon; and the anticipation of the golf as you take the five minutes to descend.  An old super loved the aerial view of the entire course as it changed during the seasons.  I suppose the same applies to the golfer—the course condition, how crowded with golfers, certain pins, and so on.  Everyone sort of has the sensation of a “world apart.”

Our club, Canyon Springs, in Idaho.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back