News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Johnson

Quick poll for everyone who belongs to member-owned clubs.

What is your club's position on selling temporary memberships to golfers whose club is undergoing renovations?

If you do offer temp memberships, then

-  Due they pay full dues or just a guest fee every time they play?  any initiation fees?   If they are paying dues do you require them to pay out of season dues?
-  Do you cap the number of rounds or limit the time of day for temp memberships?
-  Are they allowed to host guests?
-  Dining / Pro Shop Minimums/  Club Storage Fees/ Mill River etc?

Thanks,

Jason Topp

Re: quick poll-- extended reciprocity/ temporary memberships
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 03:32:31 PM »
It is an individual decision each time these issues come up.  We usually offer the option of a temporary membership or a per play rate. 

Rob_Waldron

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 08:42:22 AM »
Considering that the membership at my club had dwindled the Board offered members at TPC Avenel the opportunity to join for a 12 month committment. I believe a fixed monthly fee was determined which was slightly above the monthly dues and assessments paid by full members. We had several takers who actually continued on as members after venel re-opened as TPC Potomac at Avenel Farms (Try fitting all of that on a logo). The Avenel members had full privleges.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 05:15:11 PM »
My club is an equity club and we do allow people to "lease" memberships for one year.  This allows a member who cannot golf or who is on the sell list to not have to pay his/her dues for the year.  The lease rate is typically annual dues + $1000.  If the leasing member decides to join he/she then gets the $1000 back of their membership rate.  This has generally been a good way to get prospective members to try the club for a year.  Many end up staying but some lease just because their club is under renos, not opening for a year, etc.

The leasing member has all privileges of a full member and has the same minimums, etc except that they can't play in a few tournaments like the CC.

David Cronheim

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 12:20:35 PM »
I'm a member at Deal (NJ) and many of the shore area clubs have a great winter reciprocity. Half are closed in January, half in February. During the time your club is closed you can go to one of the open clubs and play. Deal is luckily closed in Feb, where occaisonally a warm day has led to a fun round at Manasquan River.
Check out my golf law blog - Tee, Esq.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 03:18:50 PM »
Our club has done this on a case-by-case, club-by club-basis.  We've allowed members of other clubs to play (for a reduced guest fee, as I recall) when their clubs' courses have been closed for renovation.  In turn, we've been the beneficiaries of the same deal from other clubs when our course has been closed for renovation (most recently for almost a year).  My recollection is that there were no particular limits on the number or timing of visits, but I could be wrong about that.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back