News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

Down Sizing
« on: April 25, 2012, 03:04:31 PM »
The re-design of golf course at Tunis Sports City will reduce the original 18 holes to a 9 holes layout.
The GCA was commissioned in 2006 to design an 18 hole course near lake Tunis. The layout was rather complicated as the two loops were cut in two by a major road which crossed the entire site. Additional concerns due to the proposed Metro line, future roads and land availability jeopardized the sustainability of the master plan and the project itself.

The master plan has now been re-dimensioned and the GCA has therefore been asked to re-design the layout by reducing the original 18 holes to a 9 holes layout

The redesign will be a PAR 36 3,502 yard course.

How often does this sort of thing happen and does it usually lead to a better or worse course?

Jon

Mike Nuzzo

Re: Down Sizing
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2012, 04:27:13 PM »
It could lead to a better course if the suitable land can be used for just 9 holes (if there were enough land forms for a handful of good holes, they would spread better or have a bigger impact on the 9 vs. the 18)
They may even get a little more acreage per hole, which would also help
I don't like the par 36 3,502 yards as an early indicator
Cheers
« Last Edit: April 25, 2012, 04:37:44 PM by Mike Nuzzo »
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2012, 04:31:59 PM »
Jon,

Back in my Killian days, we took Rob Roy in Mt. Prospect, IL from 18 to 9 to add housing.  Nearby Old Orchard downsized its 18 holes in length and par to accomodate some housing while maintaining 18 holes.

I have been commissioned to study each of those kinds of proposals.  I would estimate that there are very few times the course could be made beter, although its more likely to get a better nine out of 18 at similar (but half) length than just a shorter 18.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 03:14:55 AM »
Thanks for the replies gents.

I have always felt that it was better to build nine that are really challenging and have enough space rather than squeezing 18 holes in. I think that in order to create really good golf on a small parcel of land the piece of land must be of the right shape, correct soil (free draining and contours suitable to the game. If this is not the case then more room is need per hole in order to create interest through width thus needing more land.

Jon

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 03:30:20 AM »
Jon - As a consultant to new developments my advice is 100% the other way.  A bad 18 holes is always better than a good 9 holes. I am thinking commercially rather than the golfer though. We recently put  a short 18 holes on 72 acres rather just 9, the positive benifits ecologically was more natural features could be kept.

I share MN thoughts that a 3500 yard 9 is not such a great sign.

The main benifit of 18 over 9 holes is the till.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Ben Stephens

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 06:00:57 AM »
Jon - As a consultant to new developments my advice is 100% the other way.  A bad 18 holes is always better than a good 9 holes. I am thinking commercially rather than the golfer though. We recently put  a short 18 holes on 72 acres rather just 9, the positive benifits ecologically was more natural features could be kept.

I share MN thoughts that a 3500 yard 9 is not such a great sign.

The main benifit of 18 over 9 holes is the till.

Jon,

I have to agree with Adrian on this. A shorter 18 hole course at 5000 yards plus will earn more money in terms of green fees than a long nine holer. Will there be potential future expansion on an another new piece of land? if so 2 holes could be converted into 1 ie. 2 par 3's in a row can create a par 4 etc.

Still waiting for images of your course in Scotland

Cheers
Ben

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 03:34:04 PM »
Its coming Ben

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back