News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Derek_Duncan

Re: 'The Flight from Conversation' and Golf.
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 06:53:04 PM »
Derek seems to suggest that it's essential but it really is one of the most annoying things to be playing with cell phone guy or girl. Just because golf is a pedestrian sport it's interesting that people seem to think it's ok to use a phone. Imagine trying to use one while playing hockey, soccer or even lawn bowls!!

Padraig,

I'm not making a judgment on it (Okay, I will--I don't like it). But it's a fact of life now and a fact of the future.

There's a generation coming of age that knows nothing else than being able to communicate continuously. Do you really think most clubs can continue to ban cell phones, etc., into the future and still attract young members who rely so heavily on them?
www.feedtheball.com -- a podcast about golf architecture and design
@feedtheball

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 06:53:31 PM »
Padraig,
A wee story.  I have only used a cell phone on a golf course once and that was nigh on ten years ago when doing so was very much frowned upon. Playing in the foursome with me was my mate Ken, a third whose name I forget and believe it or not the club Captain!

I knew from the get-go that I had to make this phone call to Ken's wife as we set off from the 16th. tee but I was dismayed to see the Captain turn up as the fourth member on the first tee.  I discreetly explained to the Captain that it was imperative that later on I MUST make a phone call. So we get to the sixteenth tee and tee off then I scurry into nearby scrub to phone. Well of course Ken sees me doing this and as he is a stickler for course etiquette is giving me a huge serve and berating me for my lack of consideration, thoughtlessness and with the Captain on the scene as well it is totally unforgivable. Well of course I have to accept his scathing rebuke, make feeble excuses and soldier on.  As we approach and then step up onto the eighteenth green to putt his two grandchildren and son, all the way from Los Angeles that morning, rush onto the green to wish him a happy 60th. birthday!

My phone call was to alert his wife so that the family could set out from home in time to greet their hero! The things you do for mates. The bottle of champagne bought by the Captain was nice too!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 07:07:13 PM »
Derek seems to suggest that it's essential but it really is one of the most annoying things to be playing with cell phone guy or girl. Just because golf is a pedestrian sport it's interesting that people seem to think it's ok to use a phone. Imagine trying to use one while playing hockey, soccer or even lawn bowls!!

Padraig,

I'm not making a judgment on it (Okay, I will--I don't like it). But it's a fact of life now and a fact of the future.

There's a generation coming of age that knows nothing else than being able to communicate continuously. Do you really think most clubs can continue to ban cell phones, etc., into the future and still attract young members who rely so heavily on them?

Derek, I'm sure some clubs will allow them just as some clubs will continue to ban them. If cell phone use becomes a defining factor when joining a club, does the club really want such a member?

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

John Kirk

« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2012, 07:15:36 PM »
During my last few rounds, either walking or riding, a significant minority of players will occasionally check their phones.  In my experiences, many men will conduct some level of business on the course, and a few will text with wives or girlfriends.

But I had that dreaded "everybody looking down at their phones" moment this winter.  I played in a little tournament down at PGA West with some old friends, and after the round I was at a big outdoor table for seven, and six were buried nose deep.  My phone is not smart enough to open up most times.

Good gracious there are a couple of funny responses already. 

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2012, 07:21:49 PM »
I am not sure I have ever seen a walking golfer checking the cell phone during the round.  But in a cart its just second nature...if you are the passenger what else do you have to do?

Melyvn sent me this one.  ;D

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Derek_Duncan

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2012, 07:25:41 PM »

Padraig,

Derek, I'm sure some clubs will allow them just as some clubs will continue to ban them. If cell phone use becomes a defining factor when joining a club, does the club really want such a member?

Padraig,

Most clubs, at least in the US, are in no position to be turning down willing members. Some Are already coming up to date with their policies, others may even actively recruit young professionals and accommodate their phones.

I don't know. I think people find the club they want. Yeah, some new players wouldn't want to join a club with what they deem archaic rules, and I'm sure the feeling will be mutual.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 07:28:10 PM by Derek_Duncan »
www.feedtheball.com -- a podcast about golf architecture and design
@feedtheball

Sean_A

« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2012, 03:24:22 AM »
My disclaimer: I am not one to be overly reliant on instant communication - its over-rated if you ask me.  With that in mind, I find it all very unsettling when guys need to check their phone everytime there is a break in life.  You know what it reminds me of - how folks used to light up whenever a pause in life happened.  To me its a bit different if one receives a call, but even then most of the calls received by most people are in no way special and one could have easily taken a message and called back.  Indeed, many times in business an answer to a query can't be given until checks are made anyway.  However, to pick up a phone and make a call or be checking for messages when in a social situation is the height of rudeness.  Imagine if someone pulled out a book and started to read it during a meal, conversation or a game of golf?  Its no different so far as I am concerned.  Yet, we see this all the time.  I think its all part of a new way of thinking that privacy is not important anymore.  People will talk about all sorts of stuff on the phone in front of others.  People will post all sorts of private stuff on social sites.  I know I am in the minority on this issue, but as mentioned before, I can see reduction of connectivity between people in a room.  It used to be a tv which was the culprit, now its the tv and hand held devices - a double layer of mostly white noise.  The ease of communication is fantastic, but there has to be a certain amount of social grace which should be adhered to.  I find that standard of grace to be lowering with each passing year.   

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Doug Siebert

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2012, 02:02:31 AM »
I wonder is anyone looking to cater for the blackberry and iphone generation with regards to golf? Maybe having tags on tees to be scanned giving advice on how to play the hole. In today's world it's far too time consuming to figure out what strategy to use.

My gym has some equipment that's only a couple years old which have QR codes on them with "instructional video" listed under it.  I don't bring my phone to the gym (don't want to worry about it being lost/stolen/sweated on) so I haven't checked it out.  But recently while there I was idly thinking about all the random places I've seen them in the last few years - the strangest was on the exhibits in the Hard Rock in Vegas - I'm thinking the generation that cares about Elvis' jacket and Beatles stuff probably don't carry smartphones or know what a QR code is...

Anyway I was thinking we'll probably see them on scorecards soon, linking you to a strokesaver like course guide that provides much more information than the scorecard can possibly provide.  Or, for the more mercenary tourist traps, to a strokesaver app you can purchase for the low low price of $9.99 (or £9.99 in Scotland!)

Given how everything is patented these days, I should probably see if anyone on GCA is a patent attorney.  Then I can be like all the other patent trolls and just patent an idea and sue everyone who actually goes to the trouble of implementing it! ::)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2012, 02:31:39 AM »
Nobody likes them but they are a fact of life, particularly in service businesses where clients now demand instant feedback and near 24/7 availability.  So clubs have to adapt in order to recruit and accomodate members who need to be gainfully employed.  Our club's solution;  no cell phones in the clubhouse.  No use on the course during club competitions.  Discrete use on the course if other members of the group do not object.  Phones on "silent".  Seems to be a fair compromise for our club.  there are others that ban them altogether.  I can remember when clients allowed me to call them back when I was out of the office.

Shel, There are kids today, that have never heard a busy signal.

Your club's policy is most practical and reflects the adaptability golf, the sport, embraces.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back