News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Joe_Tucholski

GCA Online Book Club - Anyone interested?
« on: April 18, 2012, 01:42:46 AM »
A regular question asked on here is what books provide insight in learning about architecture.  I know I’ve followed the advice provided, and read a good number of the recommended works.  That being said when reading the books I don’t think I’m getting as much out of them as I could.  I’m simply reading a book and there are questions that I have or things I don’t fully understand (and more likely things that go over my head).  My wife doesn’t much enjoy discussing the finer points of the anatomy of a golf course but figure people on here would enjoy such a thing.

I figure we could start with books that have digital copies so folks don’t quickly drive up the prices of on internet retail book sites (thanks to Ed Oden for posting his recent free digital book post w/ Thomas as I was honestly going to post this thread after I secured a copy from the library)

I propose a tentative schedule for the first book to look something like:
Golf Architecture in America by George C. Thomas http://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?skin=mobile;id=mdp.39015007183372;#page/viii/mode/2up
Chapters                                           Reading Period                           Discussion Period
Forward, Appreciation, I                      23-29 Apr                                    30 Apr-6 May
II                                                      30 Apr-6 May                               7-13 May
III                                                      7-13 May                                   14-20 May
IV, V                                                  14-20 May                                   21-27 May
VI                                                       21-27 May                                 28 May-3 Jun
VII, VIII                                              28 May-3 Jun                              4-10 Jun
IX, X                                                   4-10 Jun                                     11-17 Jun
XI, XII, XIII                                          11-17 Jun                                   18-25 Jun

After the first book we could continue with a new book and adjust the pages per week as needed based on experience from the first go at this.

Is anyone interested in this sort of online book club/discussion?

Alex Miller

Re: GCA Online Book Club - Anyone interested?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 02:21:17 AM »
Count me in! This is a great idea.

Anders Rytter

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 06:36:02 AM »
I will definately also read the book and follow the discussion. not sure about how much i will be able to contribute though.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 07:31:48 AM »
Joe...

Sounds great.  I'll read and contribute when I can.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

David Harshbarger

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 07:38:32 AM »
Would it be possible to condense the timeline?
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

JR Potts

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 07:40:42 AM »
Sounds like a great idea.  I'm in.

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 08:41:05 AM »
Sounds like a fun idea. Count me in.
H.P.S.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 08:52:01 AM »
Super idea. I'm in.

And great to start with Thomas' book.

On a related note, in reviewing the link of the Google Books scan, it appears that every 6 to 7 pages is blank (e.g., pages 6, 11, 18, 22, 28, 32, etc.). The text flows from page to page so perhaps they're photos or drawings that are missing.  Is this usual for Google Book scans?
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Sean Leary

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 09:40:14 AM »
Men only? Or are we going to admit a token female to our club? ;)

Dan Kelly

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 10:01:23 AM »
Who's going to provide the virtual Chardonnay?
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 10:09:27 AM »

This is not going to be a women's book club! I recommend an inky black malbec from Argentina.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Chris_Hufnagel

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »
Joe, I think this is a great idea and I am looking forward to participating...

Niall Hay

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 11:50:08 AM »
Joe, this is a great idea.   

Does anyone have any insight as to the best way to get an actual copy of Golf Architecture in America by George C. Thomas?

Dan Kelly

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 12:13:30 PM »

This is not going to be a women's book club!

One ... man's opinion! (Emoticons eschewed in both posts.)

BTW: Joe, thanks for the link to the book.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 12:29:51 PM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 03:29:18 PM »
Do we know how to download and print off the whole book?

Ed Oden deserves the credit for this find.

As far as downloading and printing I believe you have to have a library card at Michigan or one of the various partner universities to save the books as a .pdf and then print it all at once.  Looking at the distribution page it looks like I am "free to copy, use, and redistribute the work in part or in whole" (although "Google requests that the images and OCR not be re-hosted, redistributed or used commercially") so I believe I can legally zip the .pdf and e-mail it to you.  If anyone wants a .pdf version send me a message with your e-mail.  Alternatively you could right click on each page and print the image.  That would be a very tedious task printing each page one by one.

Would it be possible to condense the timeline?

I wasn't sure what people would want as far as reading load.  I played it safe and went with under 50ish pages a week.  I'm ok with 100ish a week.  Proposed new schedule:
Chapters                                           Reading Period                           Discussion Period
Forward, Appreciation, I, II                  23-29 Apr                                    30 Apr-6 May
III, IV, V                                            30 Apr-6 May                               7-13 May
VI, VII, VIII                                        7-13 May                                   14-20 May
IX, X, XI, XII, XIII                               14-20 May                                   21-27 May

On a related note, in reviewing the link of the Google Books scan, it appears that every 6 to 7 pages is blank (e.g., pages 6, 11, 18, 22, 28, 32, etc.). The text flows from page to page so perhaps they're photos or drawings that are missing.  Is this usual for Google Book scans?

I'm only speculating but it appears the blank pages before or after images.  The blank page may be in place to prevent ink from bleeding onto text.  I know many old texts used to have tissue paper opposing images and maybe the blank page cost less than adding tissue paper.

Does anyone have any insight as to the best way to get an actual copy of Golf Architecture in America by George C. Thomas?

I was going to obtain one from the library and requested a recall of a copy that was checked out nearly all of last year. 
If you want to buy the facsimile they start at $213 on http://www.amazon.com/Golf-Course-Architecture-America-Thomas/dp/1886947147/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334776286&sr=8-1.  An original copy is listed for $899.

Michael Essig

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 06:25:35 PM »
Do we know how to download and print off the whole book?

Ed Oden deserves the credit for this find.

As far as downloading and printing I believe you have to have a library card at Michigan or one of the various partner universities to save the books as a .pdf and then print it all at once.  Looking at the distribution page it looks like I am "free to copy, use, and redistribute the work in part or in whole" (although "Google requests that the images and OCR not be re-hosted, redistributed or used commercially") so I believe I can legally zip the .pdf and e-mail it to you.  If anyone wants a .pdf version send me a message with your e-mail.  Alternatively you could right click on each page and print the image.  That would be a very tedious task printing each page one by one.

I took the tedious route - page by page.  Took about 45 minutes by: 1) right clicking on page, 2) scroll to "Print picture", and 3) "Yes" to print pictures.  Also, the blank pages follow the pictures, but not the drawings, and are counted in the page count.  If Joe is unsuccessful in sending .pdf's via email, for whatever reason, let me know and I can scan the pages I printed and send out to those in need.   

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 09:00:34 PM »
I can't wait till Mike Young hears about this!   ;D

Terry Lavin

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 10:40:26 PM »
I think this and the Mucci anesthesia thread are related, on a very deep, but palpable, level.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tom_Doak

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 11:17:15 AM »
Super idea. I'm in.

And great to start with Thomas' book.

In the original book, the photos are printed on a different quality of paper, and there is nothing printed on the backs of those photo pages.  I suspect those are the blanks, and that you're not missing any photos.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 11:22:16 AM »

In the original book, the photos are printed on a different quality of paper, and there is nothing printed on the backs of those photo pages.  I suspect those are the blanks, and that you're not missing any photos.

Thanks, Tom. Very interesting.  I've never accessed Google Books and wasn't aware if each book was included in its entirety. Good to know. 
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Stephen Davis

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 12:31:09 PM »
I am definitely in for this. Great timing as this was the one book that was most recommended when I asked about books on GCA. I didn't realize until later when I googled it, that the book is over $500. It is great to have a digital copy. I love it!

Brad Isaacs

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 12:47:22 PM »
Thanks for the idea.  A great opportunity!

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 12:49:06 PM »
Seems like a great idea. Looking forward to it!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 11:36:49 PM »
Joe,

I think it's a great idea.

Count me in.

Shane Wright

« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2012, 09:12:03 AM »
Count me in as well.  Thanks Joe.

Shane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back