News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Mike Keiser talks Bandon, Cabot Links, Ireland, Big 3
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 02:41:22 PM »
Too small to be sure but

Mr Keiser is surprisingly open about his plans.  I hope he's thihking of visiting Rossapenna where there's fantastic land for 81 holes and a hotel already built.   Bandon East anyone.   He seems to be able to do very nice business with his golf courses so investing in areas where the tourist already goes is smart but....
Let's make GCA grate again!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 02:42:32 PM »
So Tom,

If i understand correctly, the C&C course will be open for play in a mere 8 months, even though at least part of it isn't being grassed until this month?

Are they seeding or sodding?

Thanks,

Kalen

That's correct.  They are sprigging - 419 bermuda in the fairways and MiniVerde on the greens.  One full growing season [this summer] and it ought to be ready to go ... especially since the other 30 holes have had a full year's head start.  If they were planting all 18 holes right now, some of the holes wouldn't get done until June or July, and then it would be much harder to open in December.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 05:10:21 PM »
So Tom,

If i understand correctly, the C&C course will be open for play in a mere 8 months, even though at least part of it isn't being grassed until this month?

Are they seeding or sodding?

Thanks,

Kalen

That's correct.  They are sprigging - 419 bermuda in the fairways and MiniVerde on the greens.  One full growing season [this summer] and it ought to be ready to go ... especially since the other 30 holes have had a full year's head start.  If they were planting all 18 holes right now, some of the holes wouldn't get done until June or July, and then it would be much harder to open in December.

Thanks Tom,

Had to look that one up to see what sprigging meant.  Interesting that it'll grow in that quickly and be ready for golf.

Now I have a new destination to add to my wish list!

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 07:07:02 PM »
Can anyone tell me how long/wide the Inch Peninsula is? Is is really big enough to site an 18-hole course? to How does it compare in size to the peninsula that holds the Fortrose & Rosemarkie GC in Scotland?

Nice aerial view of F&R GC and the Chanory Point peninsula:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Chanonry_Point2006-11.jpg

From what I've been told of it, the Inch site is big enough for multiple golf courses, if you could get the environmental planning permission.  Hopefully someday I will have a chance to confirm this.

I measured 3 mile from land to the tip and its about .9 miles wide at the widest part of the land.
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

jeffwarne

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 07:37:02 PM »
Can anyone tell me how long/wide the Inch Peninsula is? Is is really big enough to site an 18-hole course? to How does it compare in size to the peninsula that holds the Fortrose & Rosemarkie GC in Scotland?

From what I've been told of it, the Inch site is big enough for multiple golf courses, if you could get the environmental planning permission.  Hopefully someday I will have a chance to confirm this.

I measured 3 mile from land to the tip and its about .9 miles wide at the widest part of the land.

If you compare it to Dooks just below it on Google earth, you could put 10 Dooks there.
So in other words they'll be lucky to get one course there ::) ::)

Kalen,
bermuda grass loves heat and water and there'll be plenty of both between June and November.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Garland Bayley

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2012, 07:38:41 PM »

Thanks Emile

I was going to do it, until I saw your message.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

William_G

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2012, 09:07:23 PM »

The beach at Inch is great, drive right onto it 8)...somehow it never occurred to me to think of the land beyond the beach as no one appears to venture in there...
It's all about the golf!

David_Elvins

« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2012, 10:57:11 PM »
And I think that has a lot to do with the fact that Old Mac is fun. How often is a course designed to be fun? Turns out, that’s a popular concept."

+1!

Old Mac is obviously a worthy addition to the resort but surely part of the reason that Old Mac is the most played course is due to it being the newest course and will therefor be a priority for those visitors that have played the other courses but not it. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Todd Melrose

« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2012, 11:08:23 PM »
Old Mac is definitely the "funnest" course there i think.

I had the chance to play all 4 courses in December, and thoroughly enjoyed Old Mac. It gave me a whole new appreciation for the British Open in the conditions they play in!

playing Old Mac this time of the year was challenging in many ways- the grass was extremely tight and completely left me unable to play any wedges i wanted to use around the green. I ended up putting nearly everything just off the green as i didn't want to blade my 56* or 60* wedges. You never practice those shots but it was an incredibly enjoyable course.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2014, 12:18:53 PM »
Can someone explain what the site at Inch is like?  I've played Dooks, and it sounds like Inch is nearby?

Good question as Inch is mostly a beach area in a bay south of the Dingle Peninsula...love it there, very picturesque

I've been there but without a specific spot in mind for golf, I'd have to guess the site would be flat sand?

There are cliffs surrounding the bay and flatland at the beach, the grand strand.

thanks

Keiser recently dispatched his son to take a look at the property on the Dingle Peninsula for a possible project that would feature only one course.

See pg. 2:  http://www.mydigitalpublication.com/publication/?i=211327&p=4
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back