News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dean DiBerardino

Help with Copy of Original Blueprint Plan from 1932
« on: April 11, 2012, 03:21:36 PM »
I just made a pretty cool find at the club where I’m employed. In the attic, I found a copy of an original blueprint of what looks like the original plan of the course from 1932. The paper is pretty tore up around the edges.

My plans are to take the document somewhere and get it scanned. After that, I was going to have it photoshopped and then produce it in a smaller version to hang up at the club. I'll probably take the document and have it framed as well.

Can anyone give any advice on where to take it to get scanned? The document is about 32”x 62” big. What I’m looking for is a place that…

- has a scanner big enough to do it.
- will take care of it and not tear it up any worse.
- will make a quality scan of the document.

Thanks in advance for any advice that can be provided.

Marty Bonnar

Re: Help with Copy of Original Blueprint Plan from 1932
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 03:45:19 PM »
Dean,
you need to find a local Reprographic Studio with a DRUM SCANNER. Some Printers might also have a repro section.
They can mount the plan on the drum and do you a very high-resolution scan. Shouldn't be madly expensive...
good luck
MB.

Add. OR you can get a GOOD photographer to mount it up on a board and properly light and shoot it. That can work really well too.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 03:48:13 PM by Martin Glynn Bonnar »
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 03:48:15 PM »
In Houston we have a number of big scanners.
The place that takes the best care of my items...
http://www.houstonphotoimaging.com/
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 05:00:31 PM »
"Reprographics" category in the Yellow Pages.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 05:04:48 PM »
Most FedEXKinko's or Staples or Office Depot do that now.  Color scans are about $7SF, and BW are about $1 SF
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 05:25:29 PM »
Jeff
Those stores use a feed scanner, not a big flat bed.

Bill
Yellow pages?  :)

Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 05:28:33 PM »
I would check with your nearest FedEx Office/Kinkos. I don't know if they will have a scanner, but they will likely be able to make a copy for you to have as a back-up.

Andy Stamm

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 05:33:14 PM »
Contact the main library at the biggest metro area that's close or the state library. They will have expertise in this area and may be able to help you. If not, they should be able to send you to someone in the area.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 09:06:29 PM »
Jeff
Those stores use a feed scanner, not a big flat bed.

Bill
Yellow pages?  :)

Cheers

Sure.  All the companies that copy or digitize plans for the construction and A&E business are called "reprographic" companies and that's where you'll find them in the YP, either book or online.  Those folks can copy that big plan.   We usually do a lot of 24x36 but bigger is possible. 

RJ_Daley

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 09:16:34 PM »
Well for Pete's sakes Deano... tell us which club - which old dead guy archie!!!   ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

George_Bahto

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 09:22:02 PM »
I've had great success photoing these with a good digital, good lighting and shooting at a high rez

certainly getting it done professionally is better  .........   I've to to do many to do (for various applications) to get them done professionally

I been using a Cannon  G-11 but before that a Nikon 5700
If a player insists on playing his maximum power on his tee-shot, it is not the architect's intention to allow him an overly wide target to hit to but rather should be allowed this privilege of maximum power except under conditions of exceptional skill.
   Wethered & Simpson

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 08:28:38 AM »
Gentlemen:

Thanks for all of the great advice!

The name of the golf course is the Williams Country Club and it's located in Weirton, WV. It was established in 1931 and was designed by Emil “Dutch” Loeffler and John McGlynn. Loeffler began working at Oakmont at age ten as a caddy and remained there for the remainder of his life serving as green keeper and golf professional.

Below is a link to some images of Williams done by DimpledRock as well as a current aerial from Google Earth.

http://gallery.me.com/dimpledrock#101122

Bruce Katona

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 10:16:48 AM »
Dean: Thanks for posting the google photo.  A question: I see from the photo the course is close to which river?  The local waste treatment plant is between the course and the river.....many problems with odor from the plant?

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 01:47:34 PM »
Dean: Thanks for posting the google photo.  A question: I see from the photo the course is close to which river?  The local waste treatment plant is between the course and the river.....many problems with odor from the plant?

Bruce:

The river to the west of the golf course is the Ohio River. The clubhouse sits about 400 feet above the river. There are no issues with the “treatment plants” below.

I’ve been told that Weirton Steel (which once occupied the land in the image below to the north east of Williams) used an “open hearth” furnace back in the 1930’s and 1940’s. The furnace would produce and ash like organic material in the air that would fall on the golf course just up from the mill. The result was one’s pants being covered in black from the knees down after playing the holes on the front nine near the mill.

Here’s an image I found from the Life Magazine image archives on Google Earth from 1958 to give you an idea of what the pollution may have been like at the time. The 4th green and 5th tee at Williams are in the bottom of the photo.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 07:01:50 AM »
Dean
I was not aware Williams was designed by Loeffler and McGlynn. Wasn't that course highly rated at one point?

Dean DiBerardino

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 07:58:25 AM »
Dean
I was not aware Williams was designed by Loeffler and McGlynn. Wasn't that course highly rated at one point?

Tom:

Williams was always ranked in the top 5 of West Virginia courses. It is not in most top 10 lists in WV these days. Not sure why. Most who come to play here love it. I even recall seeing it at one time on the "Next Fifty" list here on GCA. ???

Tom MacWood

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2012, 08:20:44 AM »
That's what I thought. I've not played the course, but I've always heard good things about it. My wife is from Toronto, just across the river.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2012, 02:18:27 PM »
call a local architect or land surveyor. They can guide  you to a shop that will make it look great. We just did it with an old Flynn blueprint from our club. They were able to clean it up, make the torn edges and imperfections go away. Cost 400 to have it done on 150 non acid stock, its going to look great framed.

What a great find you made, good luck.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back