News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

Re: Do the Members of GCA.com support this view point……
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2012, 01:47:08 PM »

PS Eric I am belittling anyone, I am asking how many support his view point, is that belittling anyone? As for condemning him, where did that come from. As I said above this site has so many posts on GCA & Golf that ignorance should not be an excuse. If people just answered the question instead of reading other things into the question we might find out how many feel the comment has mileage and worth a debate with pros & cons.

Very well. You weren't belittling then. I apologize for making the comment. As for what I wrote about condemning him, I was referring to us not condemning him (we Americans) because of what you wrote to Ed above:

Had I said that crap I would have received a lot of abuse, however as its seems that a fellow American sprouts such comments few want to say anything

Condemn was probably the wrong word. I should have written 'abuse' as you did.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2012, 02:59:30 PM »
I've used a buggy or what the rest of the world calls a cart at Royal Cinque Ports for the past two days, day two was better as it was electric and far quieter and better for the environment.
Cave Nil Vino

Michael George

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2012, 03:21:59 PM »
Eric - don't apologize.  You always act like a gentlemen, as opposed to the person to whom you apologized.

When I was granted the privilege of posting on the site, I promised Ran that I would act in a professional manner.  When certain people take direct, personal jabs at people, it is really hard to maintain my promise.   I won't say anymore before I say something that I regret.

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

DMoriarty

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2012, 03:40:48 PM »
Meant to post this here . . .

As an American golf fan I sill put the Masters first because it is played at the same course that I have come to know and love every year. Sure the course has gone through some changes but so has equipment so I call it a push.
I think the US Open is much better than the British Open because it is contested on courses like I play and in some cases have played like Olympic, Pebble and Torrey Pines.
I even enjoy the PGA more than the British Open for the same reasons.
The British Open is played on courses that are unfamiliar to me and in conditions that usually don't suit golf.
I can appreciate the history of the Old Course and would probably enjoy the British Open more if they played there every year like they do the Masters.

Here is the quote in its entirety.  It isn't really fair to chop a piece out of context, and it is just strange to try to turn any aspect of the quote into another cart ball rant.  

That said, it seems the view above is a pretty good synopsis of the view of the "American golf fan" and perhaps even the American golfer.  I doubt it is the prevailing view here but sometimes I wonder.   Most like that to which they can relate, and the Masters and US Open have been the face of golf in America for quite a few decades now.   I don't see this as a positive for the direction of golf.  
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Bill_McBride

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2012, 03:44:33 PM »
I've used a buggy or what the rest of the world calls a cart at Royal Cinque Ports for the past two days, day two was better as it was electric and far quieter and better for the environment.

An infirmity?   ???   Hopefully you will heal quickly.  Is there a better walk in golf?

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2012, 03:51:28 PM »
No I was driving a marshals buggy at the Halford Hewitt  ;D
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Steffey

« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2012, 03:58:30 PM »
perhaps it truly meant, "golf (as i know it)".

i sometimes equate golf to eating.   i get nourishment and enjoyment from it.   there are many different types of food and styles to enjoy depending on where one is and what is available to them to eat (similar to, oh a golf course or region on earth to play).  some people many be stuck eating what the locals offer while visiting (with golf - links golf with weather. with food - i was offered and ate fried bugs in asia).  luckily in each realm i learned to accept what was offered and enjoy it with tact and gratitude.   true, the first golf was invented in scotland and as it has grown.  from the first architects who went to GB to study and either copy or put their slant on it... or the first people who picked growing plants or set a cow aflame.  someone then decided to add trees, or add sauce.  either way, i wish to appreciate their creativity and gain an understanding from their interpretation.  

i don't believe there is a right way, nor a wrong way.

i would only caution against changing what someone has already created.  if i prefer blondes, for example.  i wouldn't take the Mona Lisa and paint her hair.... just as i wouldn't want to take an existing golf course and change perfectly situated holes to something else.  (but that is just me and my opinion)

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2012, 04:02:18 PM »
Linksland is great for golf, however if you live a hundred miles from the sea and your only option is desert or a clay based parkland setting then that's also perfect for golf.
Cave Nil Vino

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2012, 04:17:51 PM »

Mark

You may have a point but it’s not the question or the subject of this thread. Want to re-introduce it go ahead but I am just asking a question about a very clear statement “in conditions that usually don't suit golf.”

DM

Its totally fair, the comment was made, that The Open is played in conditions that usually don't suit golf.

Fair, its super clear. Yes I accept that countries have more inland courses but I have never said they are all not suitable for golf. Anyway how can anyone with an association with the game say links are not suitable for golf?

George, boy are you a Saint.

Melvyn

DMoriarty

« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2012, 04:55:25 PM »
. . . Anyway how can anyone with an association with the game say links are not suitable for golf?

Melvyn,

Your posts would come off a lot better if you were careful not to misquote or mischaracterize the words of others.  

Tim didn't write that "links are not suitable for golf."  He said the British Open is played "in conditions that usually don't suit golf."  From the context I assume he is talking about that rough weather that sometimes accompanies the tournament.   Here is a news break: many don't like playing golf in high wind and rain, and Tim apparently doesn't much like to watch golf played in the wind and the rain.  You and I might disagree, but his view is far from outlandish, nor is is anything close to a general indictment of links.   Again, whether I like it or not, I'd say it probably fairly captures the most common viewpoint over here.  

Let's not make Tim's quote into something it isn't.  Surely the quote as it really is provides plenty of interesting fodder for conversation without anyone getting nasty or exaggerating.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

David_Tepper

« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2012, 05:24:06 PM »
"Let's not make Tim's quote into something it isn't."

DMoriarity -

You are absolutely right about that. Clearly Tim Leahy was only referring to the extreme weather conditions in which the British Open is sometimes played. Nothing more.

DT 

Adam Clayman

« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2012, 05:28:39 PM »
From my recollections, over the course of the last 9 years of the open championship, there have been 3-4 days of weather that I would consider to be challenging.

The question is, who wants to watch the best in the world only over come themselves and the man made features of a golf course?

Mother Nature is the opponent true sportsman relish.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2012, 05:46:56 PM »

DM

I have not misquoted anyone – what are links courses famous for? What protects TOC and makes her bit back, the weather, the wind, the conditions. A sunny day with little wind can make a links course perform like a pussycat, introduce the conditions and you have a Tiger by the tail.

Links courses are a mixture of weather conditions, the best games of golf – by that I do not mean sitting on your backside riding around a course taking it easy using your toys and technology to make your shots for you. I mean rising to the challenge, facing not just the course but the routing, Man’s and Natures hazards then the overall conditions that makes the game that exciting raw experience that only links golf can produce on a regular level.

It’s the Nature of the Beast, we on this site are aware of the links and what a little weather can do. Those who have been to South Uist know the voracity of the weather, even on a fine day.

The whole point is that the Conditions DO suit golf, that’s how the game has become so popular. The conditions are that final unknown hazard that takes the game to the next level – its galled Golf – links golf, the heart of The Open. The 2008/9 Opens with Norman and Watson showed that the weather conditions are no problem to the seasoned links golfer, these old guys took control of the game and showed how to play in what some called bad conditions, leaving all the rest to follow and they only caught up when the weather improved and stopped offering that unknown hazard. They could not do it or catch the old guys until the weather changed showing how golf was and is played. 

How can you guys forget those great moments when the majority of the player were out performed by the old guys like Norman & Watson – that’s the magic of links golf and that unknown factor.

Too much riding and not enough thinking is have an effect upon the old game proving that some just can’t face what the game can throw at them, so seek the easy route on their electric carts, electronic aids and high tech equipment. A little bit of weather and the moans start – these are players not Golfers.

No I do not think I have misunderstood the comment no matter which way you look at the comment.   

Melvyn

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2012, 05:57:41 PM »

DT

For someone I believe has a place at Dornoch, you seem total devoid of understand links golf. Clearly not learnt a thing about the game in Scotland or the guys who play the game all year round.

I looked at the comment from both sides before posting my first comment and before starting this thread. I still came up with my question. Links golf is all about conditions, it’s about facing the course in its various stages, something you should have picked up from you association with Dornoch. Seems I have thought you a golfer of equal standing to the rest of my countrymen, clearly an error.

Melvyn

Bill_McBride

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2012, 06:01:41 PM »
No I was driving a marshals buggy at the Halford Hewitt  ;D

Good news sir!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2012, 06:03:05 PM »

DT

For someone I believe has a place at Dornoch, you seem total devoid of understand links golf. Clearly not learnt a thing about the game in Scotland or the guys who play the game all year round.

I looked at the comment from both sides before posting my first comment and before starting this thread. I still came up with my question. Links golf is all about conditions, it’s about facing the course in its various stages, something you should have picked up from you association with Dornoch. Seems I have thought you a golfer of equal standing to the rest of my countrymen, clearly an error.

Melvyn

Melvyn, when are you going to learn that your message gets lost in your vitriol?

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2012, 06:10:46 PM »
Bill

Don't worry, its only DT  - he knows what he is doing.

Melvyn

William_G

« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2012, 07:28:17 PM »
this thread is ridiculous ::)
It's all about the golf!

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2012, 07:30:30 PM »
Ed

No stirring required, I just have to sign my name and people are already putting words into my mouth. Let me burn for my errors not the thoughts or opinions of others.

Melvyn

The monument to the Folks burned during the Catholic Protestant wars?  Melvyn isn't that a bit much? Your not going to set yourself ablaze are you ?  I would miss your input.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

David_Tepper

« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2012, 07:31:31 PM »
"this thread is ridiculous"

William Grieve -

You too are correct. Mr. Spode has again managed to drag us all even deeper into his briar patch. ;)

DT

Jon Byron

« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2012, 08:10:31 PM »
my view on two points raised here -

1. "cart golf" does not = golf
2. "nae wind, nae golf"!
Haven't played since yesterday, not playing until tomorrow, hardly playing at all!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2012, 08:41:46 PM »
this thread is ridiculous ::)

William I quite agree the statement "The British Open is played on courses that are unfamiliar to me and in conditions that usually don't suit golf" is ridiculous. If the courses are unfamiliar to the writer how can he make the comment 'and in conditions that usually don't suit golf'.

But then it seems quite difficult for you to even enter into the spirit of this thread and state if you support this gentleman’s view point. So well done, you have contributed to converting this into a ridiculous thread.

Melvyn

PS Ed, I somehow do not think I will throw myself on to a set of burning Hickorys for the likes of David T, after all he does not even know my name.   

David Kelly

« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2012, 09:56:31 PM »
If the courses are unfamiliar to the writer how can he make the comment 'and in conditions that usually don't suit golf'. 

Why don't you ask him?
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2012, 10:01:32 PM »
What is a spode?

David_Tepper

« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2012, 10:52:45 PM »
"What is a spode?"

Sam Morrow -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roderick_Spode

"preaching loudly to the public on the dissoluteness of modern society" ;)

DT
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 11:11:11 PM by David_Tepper »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back