News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Makepeace

Re: Good morning and hello
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2012, 03:01:52 AM »
G'day Brett, thanks for that.

Will certainly take you up on that offer when I finally make it down that way. Likewise if you are up in Sydney.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2012, 03:05:45 AM »
Here's to you Adam! Welcome.

I throw out an open invitation if you are ever up Brisbane way. I must admit though the tendency for the GCA mob is to hover around the Sandbelt and Sydney courses. Nonetheless fine golf, fine food and wondrous weather (not necessarily of late!) is a given. I do have the genuine Scottish accent and that can add to the romanticism of the gowfin' with me here in Queensland.

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Adam Makepeace

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2012, 03:13:37 AM »
Cheers Colin. My best mate is Scottish - he grew up in Troon. Unfortunately, he has more expertise in their local pubs that the golf course!

A fine lot the Scots are. Always up for a good laugh.

I look forward to catching up one day.

Adam Makepeace

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2012, 03:21:39 AM »
I should have mentioned this before...

I own a business that provides individuals with job seeking advice - if any members find themselves in a difficult spot, please feel free to contact me privately. I am more than happy to help out, free of charge of course.

The generosity of those on this site is incredible. If I can help a fellow GCA'er, then I am happy to do so.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2012, 05:52:59 AM »
Welcome, cool name. Are you a Lakers Fan or a cousin of Ron Artest?

Adam Makepeace

« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2012, 06:01:58 AM »
Hi Brian,

I am fortunate to have spent considerable time in both the UK and USA.

I spent 2 years living and working in London and managed to play courses such as Parkstone, Little Aston, Isle of Purbeck, Belfry, Forest of Arden and a few others. My greatest golfing moment in the UK however was when I travelled up to St Andrews for the 05 open. We arrived at dusk on the Tuesday night, with fog rolling in over TOC. I will never never forget that moment, I could sense the history and feel the aura of the place immediately, and the fog rolling in made it magical.

I won't go into detail regarding that Tuesday night, the amount of beer drunk, and the evasion of security guards as my mate and I sneaked onto the 18th tee and posed for photographs on the swilken bridge at 2 am.

The mate I went to St Andrews with was playing on the secondary Euro tour at the time and I had the opportunity to carry his bag in open qualifiers and some tour events.

In the USA, I have played far fewer courses. A couple in the LA area, Paiute Wolf in Vegas, and Champions Gate in Orlando.

The best courses I have played - without a doubt Barnbougle Dunes and Lost Farm in Tasmania. Until playing those two last year, I had no idea how much fun could be had on a golf course. Even in 50km winds! The green complexes are just phenomenal. Personally, I had LF slightly ahead on points compared with BD, however a second visit might be in order, just to make sure.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 06:14:45 AM by Adam Makepeace »

Adam Makepeace

« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2012, 06:06:22 AM »
Welcome, cool name. Are you a Lakers Fan or a cousin of Ron Artest?

Hi Bill,

Thanks - my grandmother's maiden name was Shakespeare, so either way I was going to have a surname that generated a comment here or there.

Not a Lakers fan, no. I also have no idea who Ron Artest is.

Edit: A quick google search... Got it!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 06:13:03 AM by Adam Makepeace »

Adam Makepeace

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2012, 06:18:33 AM »
That I did Brian. Unfortunately, I had limited networks over there, and played very rarely. Any game was a good game.

Pete Blaisdell

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2012, 06:27:59 AM »
Adam
  Welcome to GCA . Please don't hesitate to voice your opinions . Great group of people here with only one thing in common, a fanatical love of golf.

Question for you as I read that you play at a public facility. The National Golf Foundation here in the states has estimated that 68% of the the golf played here in the States is public golf. Ballpark figure, what would you estimate the figure to be in Australia and how many of your courses public access?

Thanks upfront and all the best of times to you here on GCA. You will enjoy this, I'm sure
' Golf courses are like wives and the prom queen doesn't always make for the best wife "

Adam Makepeace

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2012, 07:00:10 AM »
G'day Pete,

Thanks for the welcome.

If you are a member of a golf club in Australia, access to other clubs whether they are public or private, is fairly easy. Especially if the course you are wanting to play is in another state. You simply need a letter of recommendation from your club's General Manager.

I would be confident in suggesting that aside from a small percentage of private clubs in the major cities, most courses are accessible by the general public. Regional areas in particular.

Regarding % of public rounds, my guess is that member play / organized member competitions would account for 50-60% of rounds on each weekend. Most major clubs accommodate 200-250 members each Saturday, followed by a cople of hours of tee times for 'social' golfers.

I am sure someone will correct me if I am off the mark.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back