News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: Bandon vs. the UK
« Reply #100 on: March 20, 2012, 01:13:07 PM »
Mel,

I thought you could never jump the shark, but it seems you're full of surprises.

I hope this was completely tongue n' cheek when you said this:

Amen to that – now more importantly is there a rehab for the serious reoffenders who abuse their minds and bodies with minimal thought for the game of golf, you know the undesirables types who need their daily fix of riding and utilising distance aids. They are a menace to young and old, as well as families in trying to lead them into temptation.

So golfers who use carts and range finders are now a menace to society?  Dude, that's heavy!!

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #101 on: March 20, 2012, 01:25:34 PM »

Kalen

Are not all non-thinkers a menace to society - is that what I am saying, or is that only for those who crash carts?

Melvyn

'Tongue in Cheek', now you want to know about my sexual hang-ups too ;)

Anthony Gray

« Reply #102 on: March 20, 2012, 01:27:26 PM »

Kalen

Are not all non-thinkers a menace to society - is that what I am saying, or is that only for those who crash carts?

Melvyn

M that would be a good thread.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #103 on: March 20, 2012, 01:34:53 PM »

Kalen

Melvyn

Mel,

I've never crashed a cart before,(although I did almost flip one), I'm an excellent cart driver!!  8)

I do think you make an interesting point with non-thinkers being a Menace to society.  The only problem with that is I've bumped into lots of very smart people whom I would consider "critical thinkers" when it comes to work and science, but who also held some pretty crazy beliefs and opinions on various other items.

Furthermore, when it comes to golf carts and distance aids, because you're the only one I know of who preaches what you do on the matter.... you're either complete bat-chit crazy or a savant genius who is well ahead of his time.   ;)

George Pazin

« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2012, 01:45:30 PM »
Next thread up: which Victoria's Secret model will be the mother of my children.... :)

This is an entertaining thread, but it strikes me that you've already made up your mind, Brent, and I think you should follow your heart, not your bank account - and in this case, you're lucky, because it appears the two jibe fairly well. And this is an honest comment, I'm not being a smartass. When I read your threads on UK trips, I really enjoy them, and I think it's because you really get the whole trip, not just the notion of playing top XX golf as rated by magazine YY.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Brent Hutto

« Reply #105 on: March 20, 2012, 01:54:40 PM »
Well George, that's a good opening for me to pop in and say as of this morning I'm committed to the UK option this time around. Which does move Bandon up to the top of my list next time around. I guess I have a year or two to keep my ears open for a person or group to join up with.

My wife helped cement the notion by pointing out the very good likelihood of the following scenario. I make the trip to Bandon in September, return and talk about nothing else from then until some time around Christmas. At which time I revert to whinging about "What if I never get back to Yorkshire to play at Ganton..." like I have for the past 4-1/2 years. Her comment was, she's never heard me complain about how it's been since I visited Oregon but she hears me complain regularly about missing England.

George Pazin

« Reply #106 on: March 20, 2012, 02:06:16 PM »
Plus, I'd rather see a thread on Ganton than another Bandon thread... :)
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Anthony Gray

« Reply #107 on: March 20, 2012, 02:10:35 PM »
Well George, that's a good opening for me to pop in and say as of this morning I'm committed to the UK option this time around. Which does move Bandon up to the top of my list next time around. I guess I have a year or two to keep my ears open for a person or group to join up with.

My wife helped cement the notion by pointing out the very good likelihood of the following scenario. I make the trip to Bandon in September, return and talk about nothing else from then until some time around Christmas. At which time I revert to whinging about "What if I never get back to Yorkshire to play at Ganton..." like I have for the past 4-1/2 years. Her comment was, she's never heard me complain about how it's been since I visited Oregon but she hears me complain regularly about missing England.

Women like Bandon.

Anthony Gray

« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2012, 03:27:11 PM »

Bandon is a good experience for a nongolfer. I have taken my parents,in-laws and women and they have all had a good time. The Oregon coast is the best kept secret in the US. Many scenic stops along the way. Shopping and fresh seafood from the pier makes downtown a must visit. The cabins in the woods are more cozzy than The Lodge at Pebble Beach. And the resort is the most relaxing you'll find. It is more than golf it is an experience. And the top one out there for a traveling golfer.

Anthony

Sean_A

« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2012, 03:35:12 PM »
Brent

I still haven't made it to Ganton so if yer going give me a shout.  I reckon its time I got off my backside and accept that I am not going to be passing by Ganton and so I will have to bite the bullet.  Jeepers, I have talked to countless people about playing and always found a reason not to go.  It must be a fear of reliving my Yorkshire Pudding moment.  At my very first ever English Sunday Lunch, back in 1987 (holy shit batman!), I ate and ate and ate.  When coffee was going round I asked about the Yorkshire Pudding only to be told it was already served.  I thought I must have been in the loo or something and replied that I didn't recall eating anything sweet.  I didn't receive much of a reply to my query.  Later, watching these guys down endless pints of Guinness, I asked what was the story about the pudding.  The guy and his family thought I was taking the mickey.  I was clueless and remained so until I asked the bartender what Yorkshire Pudding was.  I still think its a stupid name for something totally unlike pudding.  Yorkshire, man oh man....

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2012, 03:53:06 PM »
You can take the boy out of Detroit...

;)

Tim Martin

« Reply #111 on: March 20, 2012, 03:53:36 PM »

Bandon is a good experience for a nongolfer. I have taken my parents,in-laws and women and they have all had a good time. The Oregon coast is the best kept secret in the US. Many scenic stops along the way. Shopping and fresh seafood from the pier makes downtown a must visit. The cabins in the woods are more cozzy than The Lodge at Pebble Beach. And the resort is the most relaxing you'll find. It is more than golf it is an experience. And the top one out there for a traveling golfer.

Anthony

How many trips into downtown for the non golfers before they have had their fill? What else is there to do? If you are not an avid golfer I don`t get the allure of Bandon. My wife and in-laws don`t need to travel to Oregon for good food and nice scenery. Come on. I would think that they must also like super long car rides too. Tell me you are joking. "Come with me honey. You can read your favorite book in the beautifully appointed guest room while I play golf from sun up to sundown. I will probably be too tired to have a nice dinner but you don`t care do you? I`m sure we will be together for at least 15 minutes a day". The U.K. has to blow Bandon away as far as having non golfers aboard. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 03:59:17 PM by Tim Martin »

Brent Hutto

« Reply #112 on: March 20, 2012, 04:08:55 PM »
Well now that the thread has run far afield from any putative comparison between a specific destination and an entire landmass...

Maybe this will run it entirely off the rails. There's still six month until September but currently I'm in the grip of a rather quirky obsession, golf equipment wise. I acquired a 61-year-old set of Macgregor "Jimmy Demaret" irons and (wooden) woods and have been playing them full time for the past month or so, original factory cord grips and all. Couldn't make anything with the cool putter that came with this set so I substituted a 60's-vintage Bullseye/8802 Frankenstein monster of a putter (long story) and also added Macgregor wedge about 10-15 years newer than the other clubs.

Now I'm speculating about how crazy it would be to take the ancient clubs with me on the upcoming UK trip. As most of you know, I do not have exactly a repeating and effective golf swing using the latest-and-greatest club technology. So tiny "sweet spots" and iron soles that would just as soon dig a trench as hit a golf ball are definitely costing me a few strokes. But the cool factor is off the charts and given that I won't touch a scorecard for the entire time I'm on British soil does it really matter if I take the odd stroke or two extra because I don't have a 460cc driver and "forgiving" (yeah right) clubs?

An interesting related question might be which place would you rather play a few rounds with Classic golf clubs, at Bandon or at Ganton?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 04:30:50 PM by Brent Hutto »

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #113 on: March 20, 2012, 04:19:41 PM »
Bring those bats along with you to our game at Reddish Vale and I'll trawl through my attic for something similar! I've got both my grandfathers' old sets of clubs up there from the 1960s and neither of them ever bought anything new!

JMEvensky

« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2012, 04:21:16 PM »

I substituted a 60's-vintage Bullseye/8802 Frankenstein monster of a putter  

The equipment junkie villagers will be carrying torches to your house.

Is the cool factor of playing vintage irons worth more than a handful of shots per round? If yes,take the vintage irons.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #115 on: March 20, 2012, 04:54:52 PM »
Well for what it's worth, the Frankenstein putter was that way when I got it. Someone installed an Acushnet Bullseye head on a skinny Wilson "Head Speed" shaft with the original Wilson leather grip. The whole thing is 40+ years old and virtually pristine.

Duncan,

Man, that sounds tempting. You might even have some of the same clubs. One of the guys I occasionally play with looked at the driver and said "Hey, I've got a right-handed one of those in my closet at home"!

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #116 on: March 20, 2012, 05:34:58 PM »
Brent

I still haven't made it to Ganton so if yer going give me a shout.  I reckon its time I got off my backside and accept that I am not going to be passing by Ganton and so I will have to bite the bullet.  Jeepers, I have talked to countless people about playing and always found a reason not to go.  It must be a fear of reliving my Yorkshire Pudding moment.  At my very first ever English Sunday Lunch, back in 1987 (holy shit batman!), I ate and ate and ate.  When coffee was going round I asked about the Yorkshire Pudding only to be told it was already served.  I thought I must have been in the loo or something and replied that I didn't recall eating anything sweet.  I didn't receive much of a reply to my query.  Later, watching these guys down endless pints of Guinness, I asked what was the story about the pudding.  The guy and his family thought I was taking the mickey.  I was clueless and remained so until I asked the bartender what Yorkshire Pudding was.  I still think its a stupid name for something totally unlike pudding.  Yorkshire, man oh man....

Ciao

You and Brent must share a portion of "Ganton Cake" when there, it's on me.   Share because I don't believe the man has yet been born who can polish off an inch of fruitcake topped by an inch of Stilton.  Unbelievable but it really works and I heartily recommend it (in a small dose).

I was once best man for a chap from Yorkshire. Strange.   I believe it was Tomas Hardy who first wrote "You can always tell a Yorkshireman, but you can’t tell him much..."

Enjoy your travels  Brent.

Both places are ideal for equipment that hits the ball lower and ensures you study the run in.  

Let's make GCA grate again!

Brent Hutto

« Reply #117 on: March 20, 2012, 06:29:42 PM »
Enjoy your travels  Brent.

Both places are ideal for equipment that hits the ball lower and ensures you study the run in.  

I think about that when playing these clubs at my home course. Especially when I manage a decent release on the driver so it turns over and gets that jackrabbit runout. It's a cool enough shot on my overwatered Bermuda grass course, maybe 150-160 yards of carry and 40-50 yards of roll. I can only imagine a dry day at Ganton where I might get twice as much run but have to steer it around three bunkers to get there (assuming I actually want a shot at the green).

One other thing, the old Macgregor wedge I'm using is like 40 grams heavier than a modern wedge with a swingweight of F2 or something. Out of a fairway bunker it's amazing, just swing it back all the way and then throw a shovel full of sand and ball 60 yards down the fairway. Ideal for a course where I actually hit into more than one fairway bunker per round.

William_G

« Reply #118 on: March 20, 2012, 06:46:14 PM »

Anthony

How many trips into downtown for the non golfers before they have had their fill? What else is there to do? If you are not an avid golfer I don`t get the allure of Bandon. My wife and in-laws don`t need to travel to Oregon for good food and nice scenery. Come on. I would think that they must also like super long car rides too. Tell me you are joking. "Come with me honey. You can read your favorite book in the beautifully appointed guest room while I play golf from sun up to sundown. I will probably be too tired to have a nice dinner but you don`t care do you? I`m sure we will be together for at least 15 minutes a day". The U.K. has to blow Bandon away as far as having non golfers aboard.  

The UK certainly has more population, industry, and stuff to do, but the southern Oregon coast has a lot of natural beauty and things to do than many don't enjoy like hiking, crabbing, kayaking, fishing, beachcombing, birdwatching...there is not real shopping or people watching etc.....you just won't have to impress any people with a LV bag..the 101 highway along the coast was completed in the 1930s...there are just hundreds of miles of beautiful coastline without really any population

infrequently seen celebrities of Bandon on Father's Day 2011 6:30 am @ Bandon Beach

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 06:53:20 PM by William Grieve »
It's all about the golf!

Joe Stansell

« Reply #119 on: March 20, 2012, 07:42:16 PM »
I realize my situation is unique, but my wife has accompanied me to Bandon the last two years. She played golf one time and didn't play the other. She loves Bandon, too.

What makes this work so well for us is that we have relatives who live in Albany, Oregon, which is a short "three hour" drive to Bandon. My wife and our two boys have developed a tradition of spending Christmas in Albany and the two days following Christmas at the Bandon Resort. We practically have the place to ourselves and we're able to get in and out for under a $1000, total.

Of course, if you want to join us that time of year, you'll have to be willing to use a driver on Pacific Dunes Hole #14.

Tim Martin

« Reply #120 on: March 20, 2012, 08:24:49 PM »

Anthony

The UK certainly has more population, industry, and stuff to do, but the southern Oregon coast has a lot of natural beauty and things to do than many don't enjoy like hiking, crabbing, kayaking, fishing, beachcombing, birdwatching...there is not real shopping or people watching etc.....you just won't have to impress any people with a LV bag..the 101 highway along the coast was completed in the 1930s...there are just hundreds of miles of beautiful coastline without really any population

infrequently seen celebrities of Bandon on Father's Day 2011 6:30 am @ Bandon Beach

[/quote

I am in no way disputing that the coast of Oregon is a beautiful place. But if you think that many non golfing wives and in-laws are going to Bandon from the east coast to go bird watching and crabbing while their husband's play golf all day then start a travel agency that sells that concept and let me know how you make out.

William_G

« Reply #121 on: March 20, 2012, 09:13:06 PM »

Anthony

[/quote

I am in no way disputing that the coast of Oregon is a beautiful place. But if you think that many non golfing wives and in-laws are going to Bandon from the east coast to go bird watching and crabbing while their husband's play golf all day then start a travel agency that sells that concept and let me know how you make out.
hahaha, just illustrating thanks
It's all about the golf!

Anthony Gray

« Reply #122 on: March 20, 2012, 09:21:43 PM »

I took five Dominicans to Bandon and they had the time of their lives. Two wives and a girlfriend thought it was wonderful. Plenty to do after and before golf. My parents who know nothing about golf still talk about it. They like Bandon better than Pebble Beach.

Anthony

Duncan Cheslett

Re: Bandon vs. the UK New
« Reply #123 on: March 21, 2012, 02:03:42 AM »
I think going away for us is about warmth as well, so we have this 'go south syndrom'.

So true.

Most of my golfing buddies have never made the four hour drive to Scotland. Instead they talk incessently about yet another trip to Turkey...

I suggested a weekend in North Wales not long ago. The response I got was 'So long as we don't have to play any of those bloody awful links courses!'

::)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 03:44:07 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Dave McCollum

« Reply #124 on: March 21, 2012, 02:23:41 AM »
Apologies, I just read the first and last pages.  So, this has probably been blurted out many times before.

I’ve been to Bandon three times.  Driven the 12 hours (from Idaho) on all three, usually playing golf on the way over or back in Bend.  Only once did I go full fare retail on a CGA outing.  At that time I think it was the most costly golf that I’d ever played on a per day basis.  As I was leaving the resort on a sunny Sunday morning for the long drive home, the only thought in my mind was “when can I get back here?”  Yes, the company of CGA golf wackos made it pretty special.  But what I had just spent was irrelevant.

Well, I got back a year later with some buds.  We played with the guys building The Preserve course.  Some of our caddies were also on the crew.  Also very special and very fun.  Cost almost nothing.  I think the caddies were 2X the golf.  We stayed off site with the crew.

The other time was just after Pac Dunes was opened and I played with pros.  So that was a discounted PGA rate, as well.

I can honestly say that money has no bearing on my love of that place.  It was as fabulous at 4,000 bucks as it was at 400.  Granted, every time was spent golfing and sharing it with great folks.  There can’t be a better place for a buddy trip.

Although come to think of it, the trip to Ireland last October might have topped any to Bandon.  The first week was spent traveling in a small, 12 passenger bus of in the company of Supers and standup comics.  I spent the next week on my own in Northern Ireland and Donegal.  The hospitality was unbelievable throughout on any level you chose.                   

So, get to Bandon.  Take some pals.  Same goes for Ireland, Scotland, and, I’m sure, England, though I’ve never gone for the golf there.  It’s the real deal at any price.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back