News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Malcolm Mckinnon

Let's go play Mosholu in the Bronx, NY !!!
« on: March 16, 2012, 11:48:50 PM »
I just spent a half day at the Bronx Zoo with my daughter who is about to graduate from College this May. It is a great Zoo!

What incredible, undulating and rocky terrain there is in the Bronx. Made me think of the Mosholu Golf Club nearby which I have never seen. Original layout is attributed to John Van Kleek (1914) and updated by Stephen Kaye (1990). Part of the first Tee Program in NYC.

There must have been a course preceding Van Kleek  as I have read that several of the founding members of my golf club in Princeton, NJ were also Mosholu members. That was in 1895 or so.

I WANT TO PLAY MOSHOLU!

Anyone interested in joining me? I could also easily arrange another loop at Scarsdale GC in Scarsdale, NY

If interested let me know and I will try to set a date.

Malcolm

Jon Byron

Re: Let's go play Mosholu in the Bronx, NY !!!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 12:51:18 AM »
ok - will do.
during the week would be better than weekend from a pace of play perspective, yes?
Haven't played since yesterday, not playing until tomorrow, hardly playing at all!

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 06:54:40 AM »
Malcolm,

Played Mosholu with my son a bunch back when he was younger. I love 9 hole courses, golf club history, and my home course in Philly is Cobbs Creek, but Mosholu is, well, not so great. Very little left of Stiles and Van Kleek. The practice facility was the first priority when they redid it. It is a unique place so it is worth a play. It will play slow as beginners are the first priority with First Tee of NY being there.

Pelham and Split Rock, which still have much of the Stiles and Van Kleek, and have been written about a bunch here are pretty good. Pace of play is the only issue.

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 12:38:43 PM »
Mike,

My enthusiasm is quelled after your review.

Have you played Van Cortlandt or should I just stick with Scarsdale which has the sporty, rocky topography and also a well maintained Tillinghast overlay?

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 08:09:19 PM »
Have not played either, but my now older son is a fan of Van Cortland, which he plays with his buddies.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 08:19:31 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back