News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Re: Walking Golf Shoes
« Reply #125 on: April 07, 2013, 01:15:37 PM »
Jason - Boy, Nike has come a long way.  When I worked there 20 years ago, they were mostly uncomfortable shoes with nails stuck into the soles.  I wore tested them, and always had horrible blisters.

Their new TW product looks great.

C. Squier

« Reply #126 on: April 07, 2013, 08:40:53 PM »
Does anyone have a review of the newer Nike TW golf shoes that are inspired by the Free running shoe?

I like the comfort of my Trues, but they're not attractive and I have some reservations about their durability. My Eccos are fine, but I don't love their weight.

I've tried on the TWs and I LOVE my Nike Frees that I wear for running and working out. The TWs seem like they stabilize a bit more, but that's probably a good thing for a golf shoe. Anyone out there with first hand experience?

I like the TW's a lot.....wear them with my Trues. If I were to compare, the TW's are more supportive, but slightly less comfortable than Trues. To be critical, the tongue is a little tall, I'd prefer a lower cut shoe. Looks like the '14 TW's improve on that. Supposedly Nike is coming out with non-TW free inspired shoes later this year as well.

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #127 on: April 07, 2013, 09:26:52 PM »
I have flat feet so the soft bottoms don't work for me. Also have a wide foot. Tried a pair of Ecco Tour Hybrids but not wide enough. Trues not stable enough nor are the FJ Comforts. Ecco Biom Hybrids close but not quite. I need a box toe with support. Any ideas?

David Amarnek

« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2013, 06:22:30 AM »
Tom,
Consider orthotics (either custom made by podiatrist or OTC, i.e. Superfeet) with whatever shoe accommodates your feet.
After many attempts, I've settled on the Ecco Biom hybrids and conventional models.  The 43 was a bit too small and the 44's are a tad too large.  I  went with the latter and just wear either a thicker sock or two pairs of thinner socks.

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2013, 07:32:18 AM »
Tom,
Consider orthotics (either custom made by podiatrist or OTC, i.e. Superfeet) with whatever shoe accommodates your feet.
After many attempts, I've settled on the Ecco Biom hybrids and conventional models.  The 43 was a bit too small and the 44's are a tad too large.  I  went with the latter and just wear either a thicker sock or two pairs of thinner socks.
David- tried Superfeet. Seem to make the shoes too snug. I guess I need to go to the size 46 and stuff them rather than the 45s. My garage is full of ill fated shoe purchases! The quest continues!

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2013, 08:34:18 AM »
For many years, I thought the Adidas Tour 360s were the best shoes ever. Last year, I switched to True and loved them. This year, I've been playing in the Footjoy M Project. They are hands down the most comfortable shoes right out of the box I've ever worn. They're also a snugger fit than True, which I like. Super light with a minimalist unstructured design with little to no rise. It'll be a while before I move on to something else.

Jud_T

« Reply #131 on: April 08, 2013, 09:20:10 AM »
It's pretty simple IMO:  If you wear an orthotic, go with the Ecco's, if you don't, True's are the ticket. 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Brent Hutto

« Reply #132 on: April 08, 2013, 09:32:14 AM »
Tom F,

If you want to try doing it without orthotics, the FootJoy models with "Boa" closure (like a ski boot, sort of) offer more width and much more depth up front. I find the FJ Spot Boa model to be quite supportive arch-wise and a 12-medium is actually slightly large on my foot (which is very weird because most FJ shoes in 12-medium I can't even wedge my foot into long enough to tie the laces).

I also found the FJ Comfort to be severely lacking in support. Fine for 9 holes on short notice but an entire round or worse yet an entire round with a bag of clubs on my shouder left me with foot pain for 2-3 days afterward. That Boa thing has been a revelation for me because FootJoy offers some fairly supportive shoe models that were otherwise unavailable to me because of the shallow, narrow and slightly curved toe box on the lace-up ones.

Heck, a pair of Size 12 or Size 13 FootJoys with the Boa might even have enough room for some orthotics...

Josh Tarble

« Reply #133 on: April 08, 2013, 10:11:09 AM »
Jason,
I've got a couple buddies that only wear the TWs now.  They absolutely love them and also come from using the Frees during workouts.  If you hurry you can pick up the Augusta limited editions...if green is your thing:

http://www.golfgalaxy.com/Nike-Mens-TW-13-Limited-Edition-Golf-Shoe---WhiteGreen/SS13NKETW13GSWTGN/Product

I've also heard good things about the new Adidas adizero.

Shane Wright

« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2013, 10:41:21 AM »
I'm amazed at how much analysis people actually put into golf shoes before purchasing them.    

I'm not sure it is possible to have flatter feet than I have.  Playing sports with pain in my feet has just been part of the deal since I was little.  But I wasn't giving up sports.  I have tried all the cushioned stuff out there.  Going with the cushion comfort is basically just throwing a band aid on the issue.  It is like using an ankle or knee brace even when you don't really need it.  They are temporary relief but not a long term solution.  And they actually weaken the area long term.

Two things I have learned:

1. Dropping any extra lbs really helps
2. getting closer to barefoot walking strengthens the muscles in the lower legs and around your feet and does wonders for the pain

I don't know why it took me so long, but I finally broke down and got a pair of TRUE Senseis.  Before purchasing them, I played a couple of rounds barefoot.  If you have foot problems, I don't know why you wouldn't at least try this route.  It has been the ANSWER for me.  I just wish I wouldn't have waited....but I can now check one big nuisance of my checklist.  Now if someone can find the answer for 5 or 6 birdies a round, please let me know :)

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 09:31:36 AM by Shane Wright »

Howard Riefs

« Reply #135 on: April 08, 2013, 11:33:49 PM »
I'm a big fan of my TRUE Stealth and Tours .... and am now eyeing the Senseis. Anyone own a pair? Is the sizing the same as how the Stealth/Tour fit?
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Shane Wright

« Reply #136 on: April 09, 2013, 09:32:58 AM »
I'm a big fan of my TRUE Stealth and Tours .... and am now eyeing the Senseis. Anyone own a pair? Is the sizing the same as how the Stealth/Tour fit?

Howard, I apologize, I meant the Senseis were the ANSWER for me.  I corrected my post.  I wear them everywhere now.  I believe the Protos are the all leather version. 

Kevin Jackson

« Reply #137 on: May 04, 2017, 01:48:32 PM »
I am in the market for some new shoes.  Currently wearing generation 1 Trues that have lost their useful life and now need new.  True just released a new shoe today and seemingly another coming this summer.

Nike seems to have made a big play in the market with their lightweight and spikeless options.
Footjoy is a classic, but their styles seem to be lacking as of late.  Can't decide to be classic or contemporary.
Adidas, Ecco, Kuchar's, etc. etc.  Plenty of options, but any head and shoulders above the rest?

What is everyone wearing and recommending?
Disclaimer, I fit into the 25-35 year old category.

Mike_Young

« Reply #138 on: May 04, 2017, 01:57:18 PM »
Ecco Bioms
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Steve Fekety

« Reply #140 on: May 04, 2017, 03:18:42 PM »
I have been real happy with the Puma BioDrive (2 yr waterproof).  You can still find them on Amazon in the $75 range.  More comfortable than the Ecco's I have owned, and I am a big Ecco fan. 

John McCarthy

« Reply #141 on: May 04, 2017, 07:56:07 PM »
I developed trench foot due to a defective pair of Trues during the first round of the Mashie last year.  They replaced them no problem and the new pair is great.  But I am only 6 rounds into the new pair.

BTW, golf is really hard with trench foot.
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Mike Hamilton

« Reply #142 on: May 04, 2017, 08:02:15 PM »
Ecco Bioms as well

Jim Sherma

« Reply #143 on: May 04, 2017, 08:30:01 PM »
Old school - footjoy dryjoy tour's. They are the only shoes I can walk all day in (18 or 36) without my orthotic inserts. They are a little heavy but still the least foot fatigue of anything I've tried.

Greg Chambers

« Reply #144 on: May 04, 2017, 08:32:42 PM »
I have a pair of Trues, and a pair of Ecco Bioms.  I haven't worn the Trues in two years.
"It's good sportsmanship to not pick up lost golf balls while they are still rolling.”

Steve Lang

« Reply #145 on: May 04, 2017, 08:34:58 PM »
 8)  a year ago i moved from my last set of #1 trues to New Balance, as I wear their other sneakers, and i liked them but they became leaky in the morning dew we usually play in... so tried some Sketchers and really like them so far

anecdotal evidence

I can't believe people pay major $ for these new fly weight shoes, the plastic in them maybe costs 50 cents
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #146 on: May 04, 2017, 08:44:46 PM »
Ecco Bioms.  Nothing else comes close.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Will Spivey

« Reply #147 on: May 04, 2017, 08:50:49 PM »
6 months ago I would have said Ecco BioM's.  However, I recently got a pair of the Adidas Tour 360 Boost -- best golf shoe I've ever owned.  Light, very, very soft -- the Boost "technology" is terrific.  They also feel much more substantial than the Eccos, IMO.  I'm cheap but I still went out and bought a second pair.  Have only worn my Eccos once since then.

Buck Wolter

« Reply #148 on: May 04, 2017, 10:39:09 PM »
On my 4th pair of Eccos --one pair of New Balances in between but they weren't well built.

Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Chris DeToro

« Reply #149 on: May 05, 2017, 06:42:43 AM »
the new FJ Hyperflex are some of the best looking FJ shoes, really lightweight yet still provides a lot of stability

if you're looking for more athletic, the FJ Freestyles are also a great choice

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back