News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sandy Smith

Putting green flagsticks
« on: March 03, 2012, 03:08:02 AM »
Recently at my home club we removed  the flagsticks on the main putting green. Do you lIke that look or do you prefer  some type of flagstick to putt to ? Any pictures of your favorite putting green would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:30:39 AM by Sandy Smith »
Firm greens, firmer fairways.

Alex Miller

Re: Putting green flag sticks.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 03:15:21 AM »
I prefer to watch my ball disappear in to the hole instead of clanging in to an ugly flagstick.

If I'm close enough to see it hit the bottom, then I also enjoy the sound of it hitting the bottom of the cup more than hitting a stick.

Pat Burke

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 03:25:23 AM »
We tried no putting green flags at a club I worked at.
members digging balls out of the holes with their putters, and destroying the lips, caused us to
put the flags back in. ::)

Alex Miller

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 03:32:17 AM »
We tried no putting green flags at a club I worked at.
members digging balls out of the holes with their putters, and destroying the lips, caused us to
put the flags back in. ::)

That just sucks. I guess you really have to know your membership: Sandy I hope your members' backs are still good!

rjsimper

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 06:43:11 AM »
Half and half is the best solution. I personally prefer no flagsticks but understand that many do like them.

Kind of like some courses sprinkle in some of those small holes, just sprinkle in some cups with no flagsticks too. Everyone is happy.

RDecker

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 07:58:04 AM »
When it comes to this topic I'm a less is more guy.  You see some clubs with a 3,000 sq.foot putting green and there is 9 little cups and sticks, it looks ridiculous.  4 or 5 is plenty unless the green is really big.  We tried using the mini, target cups this year and they were very well received by the player that actually cares about his putting.

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 08:28:54 AM »
I like to putt to a hole. But, I think the hole should have a little flagstick in it, on a practice putting green. It's an aesthetic thing for me; the practice putting green area looks to barren without flagsticks in the holes. 
jeffmingay.com

Jason Goss

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 12:28:05 PM »
I never understood why you would want to practice putting to a hole with a stick in it?  You can't putt to a hole with a stick in it on the course, so why practice something you can't repeat when it counts.  Just my 2 cents.
Jason Goss
Golf Course Superintendent
Sonoma Golf Club
Sonoma, CA
www.sonomagolfclub.com

Matthew Rose

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 12:28:21 PM »
If they have flags, I take them out anyway :)
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Carl Johnson

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 05:58:06 PM »
If they have flags, I take them out anyway :)

Why isn't this the simple answer?  Sometimes I leave the stick in, but when I want to practice with the stick out, I simply take it out and place it beside the green (and replace it when I finish).  I've noticed plenty of other golfers at our club doing the same thing.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 06:13:23 PM »
Believe it or not, there was a club in Sydney -Concord - where they did not have holes in the practice green.Rather that had small flagsticks with pointed ends that could be stuck into the green. Staggeringly the greenkeeper apparently thought that holes created wear issues  - presumably because people putted to them!!

Bruce Wellmon

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 06:31:55 PM »
Believe it or not, there was a club in Sydney -Concord - where they did not have holes in the practice green.Rather that had small flagsticks with pointed ends that could be stuck into the green. Staggeringly the greenkeeper apparently thought that holes created wear issues  - presumably because people putted to them!!

I have seen the same thing in SC at one particular course which will never be listed on GCA.
With the exact same logic quoted.

Scott Stearns

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 06:36:53 PM »
nothing like hearing a ball rattle in the hole.   

and i love the ultra small hole--every green should have one or two off to the side.  Garden City has em--i think as an homage to Travis....

Jim Johnson

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 07:10:11 PM »
Katepwa Beach Golf Course, in Saskatchewan Canada. Where Tom Doak mentions that culling is legal.  :-X

mike_beene

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 07:13:56 PM »
We do half and half.The lower putting green ends up being where the putting lessons happen and the first thing the pros do is pull the flags.I have never seen a tour pro putt to a flag down there so I pull them out also.Hey,one can dream.We have three of the small holes and three regular holes on the upper green and works perfectly.

Tim Martin

« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 07:20:12 PM »
nothing like hearing a ball rattle in the hole.   

and i love the ultra small hole--every green should have one or two off to the side.  Garden City has em--i think as an homage to Travis....

The small holes are great for honing your stroke on those pesky 3-4 footers.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2012, 07:38:49 PM »
I like empty cups best.

Mark McKeever

Re: Putting green flagsticks
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 08:40:44 AM »
Empty cups are my preference.  It's not like you are going to be putting with the flag in while on the course.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 10:08:17 AM »
I like the mini wicker baskets on the putting green at that club on Ardmore Avenue near Philly.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Jay Carstens

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 11:16:06 AM »
I have one of those short flagsticks in my basement practice green and  I love hitting it exactly dead center and have it almost try and crawl up the stick.  Sometimes it sounds like it hits it two or three times.  You know it's center cut on those.  I'm also lazy and don't want to bend over all the time. 
Play the course as you find it

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 11:32:23 PM »
Do you have any eights?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 11:44:42 AM »
I like empty cups best.

An unprecedented statement for an LSU man!

Frankly, I like the ornamentation and splash of color.  Also I like removing them and setting them aside to give the appearance of a player before the round begins and I'm proven otherwise.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back