News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

New Ogilvy/Clayton website
« on: March 01, 2012, 09:19:37 AM »
http://www.ogilvyclayton.com/

Sortry if somebody has already posted this, but I just recieved it via Twitter.....great looking site.

PCCraig

Re: New Ogilvy/Clayton website
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 09:35:42 AM »
A very nice website. Ogilvy/Clayton is certainly developing a very nice portfolio.

Perhaps a question for Mike Clayton (or anyone else who knows their practice better than I do): have they ever bid or received invitations to work on restoration projects in the U.S. or Europe? Seems like the majority of their work is in or around the Sandbelt of Austrailia...I would love to see what they would do with a heavier soil. (Again, if they have already...I apologize).
H.P.S.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 12:33:35 PM »
A very nice website. Ogilvy/Clayton is certainly developing a very nice portfolio.

Perhaps a question for Mike Clayton (or anyone else who knows their practice better than I do): have they ever bid or received invitations to work on restoration projects in the U.S. or Europe? Seems like the majority of their work is in or around the Sandbelt of Austrailia...I would love to see what they would do with a heavier soil. (Again, if they have already...I apologize).

Mike has a project in Spain alongside Tom Doak - El Rincon. I don't think it will be that long until they get something in the US/UK or Europe

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 01:00:34 PM »

Mike has a project in Spain alongside Tom Doak - El Rincon. I don't think it will be that long until they get something in the US/UK or Europe

I hope we get that one going this summer, but it's too early to tell if it will happen or not.  The permits are finally in place, anyway.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 01:36:21 PM »
I was sort of wondering....there is some crossover of golf courses on thier website, that I had always assumed were "Doak" courses. If I didn't know anything about architecture, my default assumption would be Ogilvy played a role in the creation of both St. Andrews Beach and Barnbougle, but I suspect he had nothing to do with the creation of either of them.

Is that common to share the credit, or is that an industry thing to have grey lines of who did what?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 01:50:56 PM »
I was sort of wondering....there is some crossover of golf courses on thier website, that I had always assumed were "Doak" courses. If I didn't know anything about architecture, my default assumption would be Ogilvy played a role in the creation of both St. Andrews Beach and Barnbougle, but I suspect he had nothing to do with the creation of either of them.

Is that common to share the credit, or is that an industry thing to have grey lines of who did what?

Kalen:

To be fair, my web site does not make much note of Mike Clayton's role at Barnbougle or St. Andrews Beach, either.  It used to, before we edited down the descriptions of the courses to being very short.  And it's always a matter of interpretation how much credit one person or another should get.  Mike had a lot to do with some of the holes at Barnbougle [particularly the 7th and 15th, which are prominently pictured on his web site], and not so much on other holes [to the best of my memory, the 4th and 13th were mostly my idea].

Mike's associate Ashley Mead was also the project manager at Barnbougle.  But, no, Geoff Ogilvy was not involved in either project.  His parents were members of St. Andrews Beach, actually; and he had offered to wear their logo on Tour for a relatively small price back in 2004, but our clients [who, to be fair, were about to go bankrupt] failed to come up with the money to sponsor him the season he won the U.S. Open.

As to your general question, unfortunately, it's pretty common for architects to take more credit than they deserve for projects they have "worked on".  Just check out the Tulsa Country Club promotional stuff regarding Rees Jones and the courses he designed or significantly redesigned ... I'll bet you didn't know he did Pinehurst #2!
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 01:54:05 PM by Tom_Doak »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 01:56:43 PM »
Tom,

Thanks for the clarification....

And yes Rees Jones would have certainly been my 1st guess for #2.  ;)

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 05:58:52 PM »
PCraig.

Quite a bit of our work is on the sandbelt - Victoria,both courses at Peninsula, Metropolitan, a little at Kingston Heath, Spring Valley and a masterplan at Commonwealth but very little work so far.
We have done our bigger projects outside of Melbourne including rebuilding all the greens and bunkers at Lake Karrinyup in Perth, The Lakes in Sydney and The Grange in Adelaide.Royal Queensland did a new course on its original site on quite heavy soil.
So, we have worked all over what is a big country in quite different soils but aside from the Madrid project nothing outside of Australia yet but there are a couple of quite decent chances coming up I think.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back