News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bart Bradley

Re: The Best Finish in Golf
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2012, 06:52:38 AM »
Merion, Sunningdale Old, and Oakmont come to mind.

Bart

Joe Bausch

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2012, 08:43:07 AM »
The lottery for tickets to the 2013 US Open started yesterday, I believe.  Or maybe it is today.  If you are lucky to attend the tourney, there may not be a better place to view than by the 17th tee to see all the action at 16-18.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Anthony Gray

« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2012, 08:48:24 AM »

I've golfed alot of places and hands down its Roko Ki.

Anthony

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2012, 09:02:38 AM »
Merion for me, especially from the "playable" tees whatever they may be for the individual golfer.

Jud_T

« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2012, 09:20:04 AM »
16-18 at Carnoustie is pretty strong.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tim Martin

« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2012, 09:21:26 AM »
Merion for me, especially from the "playable" tees whatever they may be for the individual golfer.

Pretty tough to beat the finish at Merion. Ending a superb experience with a tap on the Hogan plaque as you make your way to the house is about as good as it gets.

Greg Holland

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2012, 09:23:29 AM »
Recently played Dormie Club, and as we settled our bets, the group (mostly non-architecture geeks indicentally) agreed it has a really strong finish.  16 is a solid par 3, 17 was an outstanding par 5 and 18 is a really good par 4.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2012, 09:29:37 AM »
This was my list from 15 years ago in The Confidential Guide:

St. Andrews (Old)
Merion (East)
Pebble Beach
National Golf Links
Seminole
Carnoustie
Shinnecock Hills
Muirfield
Royal Melbourne (West)
Pennard

Obviously it was not done in anticipation of Streamsong!  ;)

Ian Andrew

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2012, 09:33:32 AM »
Merion's (East)final five has a spectacular run coming in - I agree with the herd

Others:

Royal Melbournes (West) final three
Commonwealth's final three are super fun

I happen to love 15-17 at Bandon Trails
The more obvious 15-17 is Cypress Point

Unusual but wonderful stretches too:

Carne 15-17
Ashburn (old) (in Nova Scotia) 16-18
Nefyn 13-17
Capilano 15-18
Plymouth 16-18

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:35:29 AM by Ian Andrew »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2012, 09:55:16 AM »
16-18 at Carnoustie is pretty strong.

Too strong

J_ Crisham

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2012, 09:59:30 AM »
Beverly CC is pretty strong from 15-18.  Some very challenging greens as well. 15 at 465yds is both a demanding tee shat and precise approach with a hybrid for most of us. 16 at 445yds is into the prevailing wind to a well bunkered green hidden in a hillside.17 at 200-230 yds to the most severe, smallish green-Nicklaus 4 putted it back in the 1963 Western. 18 is a good par 5 at 595 yds. Requires 3 well placed shots to a well bunkered ,severe green. Could be the best stretch of holes on the course.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2012, 10:32:30 AM »
Beverly CC is pretty strong from 15-18.  Some very challenging greens as well. 15 at 465yds is both a demanding tee shat and precise approach with a hybrid for most of us. 16 at 445yds is into the prevailing wind to a well bunkered green hidden in a hillside.17 at 200-230 yds to the most severe, smallish green-Nicklaus 4 putted it back in the 1963 Western. 18 is a good par 5 at 595 yds. Requires 3 well placed shots to a well bunkered ,severe green. Could be the best stretch of holes on the course.

For us regular slappers, it's an amazing stretch of golf, but for the fellows that routinely hit it 300 off the tee, I am sorry to say that it doesn't quite measure up anymore.  The fairway bunker on the left of 15 would take the driver/3 wood out of a great player's hands, but he'd still have an 8 or 9-iron into the green.  And the green is interesting, tilted in deceptive ways, but not hard to hit because it's not at any sort of oblique angle from the fairway.  Sixteen is very tough for us slobs, but the fairway bunker is not out far enough to come into play for a big hitter, so that hole would be driver/wedge for most great players.  Seventeen is really tough for anybody.  Eighteen is 600 yards from the tips, but the dogleg is manageable for a big hitter, so I could see a lot of great players hitting the green in two with a fairway wood or hybrid.

I guess all I'm saying is that technology and player skill has passed Beverly by for the very best players.  I still think it would be an excellent site for a US Senior Open or a Senior PGA or a US Women's Open, but I fear the regular tour would just beat it like Warwick Hill's stepchild.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

J_ Crisham

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2012, 11:18:05 AM »
Terry, I agree with each of your observations- the technology and length of todays best players has sadly passed by the Bev.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2012, 11:40:38 AM »
Merion's is pretty strong.

Indeed it is.

I like Ballyneal's final three holes.

Final 18 holes.

Tom Birkert

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2012, 12:02:02 PM »
Merion would get my vote - tough finish, with the quarry in play on two of the holes.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2012, 12:08:35 PM »
well all three I believe, crosses 16 on the second shot, 17 on the tee ball and likewise on 18. While 18 is not as severe it is, i think, part of the quarry.

I do like your pick however.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2012, 12:11:31 PM »
Thanks
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Jay Flemma

« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2012, 12:15:30 PM »
After all the hullabaloo about 15-18 at Atlanta Athletic last year (The Massacre Mile) I wrote this piece on some of the best finishing stretches in golf (15-18).  I got prominent people who knew each course to chime in...Marino Parascenzo on Oakmont, Art Spander on Olympic, Davis Love on WFW, etc. 

http://jayflemma.thegolfspace.com/?p=3816
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2012, 12:19:41 PM »
I LOVE the finish at Friar's Head.  It's the best that I've seen anywhere.  Rounding out my top five would be Merion, NGLA, Shinnecock & Seminole.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 12:22:09 PM by Kyle Krahenbuhl »

Bruce Katona

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2012, 12:30:29 PM »
I really enjoyed the 18th @ Philly Cricket.  Very nice hole.  18 green is right by the veranda and all can see and taste the frosty cold adult beverage waiting.

2nd choice, Kapalua.....how many of us regular guys can reach a 600+ yard par 5 in 2 and putt for eagle!  Plus the backdrop to the hole is spectacular.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2012, 12:31:50 PM »
For beauty purposes I'll take cabo del sol ocean course....Greg do you agree?

They would have to be in the discussion...

Mac Plumart

« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2012, 12:58:07 PM »
I LOVE 15-18 at Bandon Dunes.

15-17 is so wonderfully incredible and thrilling beyond most anything I've played before with 16 being the best hole I've ever played.  17 following that up with incredible and thrilling golf.  And I love the way it ends on 18, it is like the post-coital cuddle.  The thrill is over and you can think about that thrill while easing into another frame of mind and activity.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2012, 01:11:14 PM »
I LOVE 15-18 at Bandon Dunes.

15-17 is so wonderfully incredible and thrilling beyond most anything I've played before with 16 being the best hole I've ever played.  17 following that up with incredible and thrilling golf.  And I love the way it ends on 18, it is like the post-coital cuddle.  The thrill is over and you can think about that thrill while easing into another frame of mind and activity.

When I played BD a couple weeks ago, I played 17 as par 3 from the "Keiser Tees" which is just before the gully on the right hand side and makes the hole about 160 to the center. That lets you finnish 4-3-5, great fun.
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Mac Plumart

« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2012, 01:14:39 PM »
After all the hullabaloo about 15-18 at Atlanta Athletic last year (The Massacre Mile) I wrote this piece on some of the best finishing stretches in golf (15-18).  I got prominent people who knew each course to chime in...Marino Parascenzo on Oakmont, Art Spander on Olympic, Davis Love on WFW, etc. 

http://jayflemma.thegolfspace.com/?p=3816

This brings up a great point.  Are we talking about how we want a course we are playing to finish or how we want a course to finish when we are watching the pros play?  I thought the AAC finish in the PGA last year to be AWESOME!!!  And I think that type of course and finish is great for the pros armed with modern technology.  In fact, I love how East Lake and The Tour Championship finishes.  Always exciting.

But in regards to me playing (not watching), I prefer Old Mac or The Old Course.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jud_T

« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2012, 01:27:49 PM »

When I played BD a couple weeks ago, I played 17 as par 3 from the "Keiser Tees" which is just before the gully on the right hand side and makes the hole about 160 to the center. That lets you finnish 4-3-5, great fun.

Also makes it a much better hole... ;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 01:11:04 PM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back