News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Freeman

Re: 3rd Annual Midwest Mashie!!
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2012, 03:23:56 PM »
After such at good time at the Boomerang last year and Ballyneal before that....my New Year's Resolution was to make an effort to get in on another GCA event.  This timing is not great but I am not afraid to drop the hammer if the new job comes through.

George - what is the deadline for reserving a spot? Unfortunately I would not know until April. :(

Tyler - there is no deadline for reserving a spot, until there are no more spots available!  I don't have a specific number at the moment, but we have flexibility as to how many guys we can include (north of 40 guys I would guess).

Obviously the earlier we have a solid headcount the better.

Hopefully you can make it!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Howard Riefs

« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2012, 04:24:42 PM »

I read that as well...but many times people over exaggerate their distaste for a property.  

Clearly there was an exaggeration. Leather mask? It was likely vinyl.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Joe Bausch

« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2012, 04:24:59 PM »
Would love to travel back to the part of the country where I grew up George, but 'Nova's graduation ceremonies are that weekend.   :(
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ken Fry

« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2012, 09:23:47 AM »
As things would work out, I have a fundraiser tournament I'm on the committee for that will tee off Saturday around noon.  I will make the dinner in the clubhouse regardless and would like to play Sunday.  If needed early Saturday morning, I could even swing that.  Let me know.

Ken

PCCraig

« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2012, 09:51:44 AM »
Sorry guys, I can't make this Mashie as originally thought. Have a great time!
H.P.S.

Jud_T

« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2012, 09:58:03 AM »
So I assume Bill Coore is giving the presentation Saturday night and Ben Crenshaw is giving putting lessons all weekend on the practice green?     8)
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

George Freeman

« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2012, 10:28:51 AM »
So I assume Bill Coore is giving the presentation Saturday night and Ben Crenshaw is giving putting lessons all weekend on the practice green?     8)

How'd you know??
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Bill Seitz

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2012, 10:39:31 AM »
Regarding the potential accommodations, last year we stayed at a place that wasn't quite as inexpensive as the Motel 6, and regardless of the higher cost, Pat Craig STILL was forced to exit his room through the back window (thank God he was on the first floor).  That Motel 6 surely can't be THAT bad.   :)

PCCraig

« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2012, 10:43:30 AM »
Regarding the potential accommodations, last year we stayed at a place that wasn't quite as inexpensive as the Motel 6, and regardless of the higher cost, Pat Craig STILL was forced to exit his room through the back window (thank God he was on the first floor).  That Motel 6 surely can't be THAT bad.   :)

Ha - that was my thought when I read the leather mask comment. "Well, at least she could open her room door?" 

Thankfully due to my incredible balance I was able to leap out of the back window, over a bush, and not spill our beers.  :)
H.P.S.

Brian Laurent

« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2012, 04:18:33 PM »
It's a little further away, but I would also recommend looking into the Wawasee/Syracuse/Warsaw area. While there, go play Maxwelton! Fun little public designed by William Langford.
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Steve Salmen

« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2012, 11:53:29 PM »
Thanks George for getting this thing set up.  I tried to secure two venues unsuccessfully.  Glad to hear it will be at the Warren Course.  The first time I played it I was underwhelmed.  The second time was with Andrew C, Andrew L, and Pat Craig the afternoon the first Mashie ended.  Though I scored worse the second time, I enjoyed the course more.  I still think the first six holes are nothing special, but I have a greater appreciation for the rest of the course.  Please count me in if there is room.

PCCraig

« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2012, 03:52:12 PM »
Thanks George for getting this thing set up.  I tried to secure two venues unsuccessfully.  Glad to hear it will be at the Warren Course.  The first time I played it I was underwhelmed.  The second time was with Andrew C, Andrew L, and Pat Craig the afternoon the first Mashie ended.  Though I scored worse the second time, I enjoyed the course more.  I still think the first six holes are nothing special, but I have a greater appreciation for the rest of the course.  Please count me in if there is room.

Of course you liked it the second time...you and Andrew Lewis kicked Andrew Calcutt and I's butts in a money game! :) ;)
H.P.S.

Brian Laurent

« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2012, 02:42:48 PM »
Move me from "maybe" to IN! Looking forward to a great event.

Not sure if it's up for discussion, but I'd vote for singles on Sunday over alternate shot. While I enjoy alternate shot, I'd much rather play my own ball when it's a course I don't have an opportunity to play often.
"You know the two easiest jobs in the world? College basketball coach or golf course superintendent, because everybody knows how to do your job better than you do." - Roy Williams | @brianjlaurent | @OHSuperNetwork

Jud_T

« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2012, 02:49:19 PM »
I'm happy to give someone a ride from the Chicago area, although I'll probably be staying at my folks' place near New Buffalo Saturday night...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Matthew Sander

« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2012, 02:51:29 PM »
Brian,

In the past there have been both alt shot and singles matches on Sunday, and it is your preference as to which format to play. Obviously, for pace of play reasons, the alt shot matches go out first followed by the singles. If there is a change for this year, I'm sure George will let us know...

Brian Laurent

« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2012, 04:27:50 PM »
Brian,

In the past there have been both alt shot and singles matches on Sunday, and it is your preference as to which format to play. Obviously, for pace of play reasons, the alt shot matches go out first followed by the singles. If there is a change for this year, I'm sure George will let us know...

Thanks for the clarification!

Jason Topp

« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2012, 01:47:52 PM »
I am not going to be able to work through the logistics to get there so please pull me off the list.  Have a great time everyone.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2012, 05:15:17 PM »
Wow, finding lodging is a challenge...  

I took a flier and contacted the South Bend Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB) about availability of a block of rooms in the area.  They sent a message to their members about the request. As suspected, the vast majority of hotels are booked and/or require a three-night minimum. There were only two hotels that responded to the CVB with an offer, and one was for two nights at $369/night.  

The other is the Quality Inn, which is located two miles west of the golf course. The hotel has 20 rooms (doubles) available at the rate of $109.99. It’s a former Holiday Inn and looks a tad dated. Reviews are very mixed on Tripadvisor and downwhat negative on Google.  

Quality Inn University
515 Dixieway North
South Bend, IN 46637
ph: 574.323.1020
Hotel website:  http://www.qualityinn.com/hotel-south_bend-indiana-IN184
Tripadvisor profile:  http://bit.ly/yC6wED
Google profile:  http://bit.ly/xg00c7

The bright side? There are no recent sightings of the notorious “man in a leather mask walking down a hallway.”

The hotel is filling up the manager said, but he’d put the block of rooms on hold for two weeks. After two weeks, he expects to release the doubles but says he’ll still have available some rooms with a king bed and a sleeper sofa. If any are interested in booking at this hotel, following are the logistics:

-- Need to book through Jae at the hotel, 574.323.1020. If he’s not available, leave a message with the front desk and he’ll call you back.
-- Block of rooms is saved under “GCA”

It’s one option… though I'm admittedly alarmed by the reviews on Google.  I have *not* booked a room at this point.

Where are others staying?
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

George Freeman

« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2012, 05:24:13 PM »
What about other cities?

La Porte is 25 miles away
New Buffalo is 30 miles away
Niles is 10 miles away
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Matthew Sander

« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2012, 05:39:16 PM »
What about other cities?

La Porte is 25 miles away
New Buffalo is 30 miles away
Niles is 10 miles away

I haven't checked La Porte, Elkhart, or New Buffalo yet (those are probably your best bet), but the Holiday Inn Express in Niles is also requiring a two night minimum stay that weekend due to ND's graduation.

**Also, I followed up at the Mishawaka Courtyard, and apparently the individual I spoke with last week gave me extremely bad information. They are requiring a 2 night minimum and the rooms are $369/night (as opposed to $129/night w/ no minimum stay when I spoke with them last week).

It looks like those staying over night in the area will just have to bring along haz-mat suits and sidearms for their lovely evening at the Motel 6 or Quality Inn. Besides, who really needs hot water anyway...

George Freeman

« Reply #70 on: March 14, 2012, 02:26:18 PM »
bump
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Howard Riefs

« Reply #71 on: March 15, 2012, 09:48:02 AM »
Anybody book a hotel yet? 

(Other than that Motel 6 where guests wear leather masks.)

Jud_T

« Reply #72 on: March 15, 2012, 09:53:59 AM »
I have a reservation at the Varsity Club in Mishawaka for Saturday night that I'm not going to use as I can just stay at my folks place in Lakeside.  If anybody wants it, PM me by the end of next week...

George Freeman

« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2012, 11:35:58 AM »
Bump!
Mayhugh is my hero!!

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2012, 09:43:51 AM »
George - I'm sorry to report that due to health issues I need to drop out of this year's Midwest Mashie. Maybe next year!

Have a great time!

Mike
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back