News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chris Avore

Royal Portrush & Royal County Down next week
« on: January 25, 2012, 10:58:09 AM »
Hey gang,
I'm off to Ireland next week for a conference and of course scheduled enough time to head north to play Portrush & RCD, regardless that the weather calls for about low 40's and rainy.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions about places/pubs to hit after a round near the course? Staying in Belfast Monday night through Thursday for easier access to the courses. Return to Dublin Wednesday night after playing Portrush at 9:40am.

TIA
Chris
------------------------------------------------------------------------
my photos from a few courses around the world:
http://flickr.com/photos/erova/collections/72157600394512195/

Anthony Gray

Re: Royal Portrush & Royal County Down next week
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 11:02:16 AM »

check out The Giant's Causway. Its a memorable part of the area.

Anthony

Chris Avore

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 11:34:38 AM »
Great stuff, thanks guys. Will try to take the Causeway highway on the way back south after the round and get warm with a whisky or 3 at Bucks Head.

Knew I was asking in the right place!  ;)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
my photos from a few courses around the world:
http://flickr.com/photos/erova/collections/72157600394512195/

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 12:13:26 PM »
What a set of courses to enjoy. I hope you get a better break on the weather. Both are two of my favorites on earth.

Dave McCollum

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 12:24:15 PM »
I didn’t visit the Bushmills distillery, but the Bushmills Inn a couple of miles from Portrush has very good food.  Great place to stay, as well.  It’s sort of halfway between Portrush and the Causeway that Anthony liked.  Bill Brightly on here told me about an interesting Belfast activity that, unfortunately, I didn’t get to do.  I think he called it the black cab historical tour of Belfast.  The black cabs hang out by the government buildings.  Or send Bill a message and he’ll give you the name of his guide to arrange by appointment.  I played RCD on my drive from Dublin to Portrush, so I can’t help you much there.  Those two courses are awesome.  I’d also recommend the Valley course at Portrush and the front nine at Port Stewart.  I didn’t play either of these, but I did walk them during a some awful weather and they looked terrific.  Hit it straight or take some balls.

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 02:08:19 PM »
When I played RCD I stayed at the Slieve Donard Hotel. A caddie for our group during my first round with did not advise going to any of the local pubs (he said the women were ugly as sin and the locals generally don't like outsiders). I think he might have also mentioned the possibility of getting beaten up. After dinner we wandered over to the closest pub, and it was just so-so, and didn't make a long night of it.

I had dinner at the Oak Restaurant. Its basically next to the Slieve Donard's parking lot (After 36 holes we were more concerned with proximity than with finding "the best" place but it was pretty good).

Definitely play 36 holes (if time/daylight allows) as its ~250 pounds for 36 (played in one day) versus ~160 for 18. A caddie for your first round really helps with knowing where to hit the ball, especially with the blind tee shots. Last thing about RCD, definitely check out the men's locker room as there are tons of really cool pictures all over the place of famous pros playing the course like Palmer, Woods and McIlroy.
H.P.S.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 03:37:30 PM »
My group had a great meal at the Slieve Donard. The postcard pic of Tiger taking a clump of grass bigger than his head is awesome. . .

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 04:02:56 PM »
Chris

Have you time for 36 at Portrush? The Valley course is wonderful too.

From Portrush amble back along the coast road and perhaps stop for a Jar at one of the small villages under the Glens of Antrim e.g. Cushendun

Get back to Belfast , ditch the wheels and spend a very happy evening here.

http://www.crownbar.com/gallery_details_2.html

Enjoy your trip.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 05:07:48 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

ward peyronnin

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 05:01:42 PM »
Chris

Go to the harbor in Portrush which is about a mile from the course and in the lower level of a building on the circle is a place called The Wine Bar that is a very hoppin Euro eatery with decent continental food and wines and sometimes some scenery; disco upstairs

If you don't want to blow it at Slieve there is a good sized weel done rest just out in front of the entry that has good food and atmosphere.

Of course everywhere has good drinks. Try Bushmills Black jack when there
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 05:17:09 PM »
Chris,

Do you really, really, absolutely, positively have to attend the conference full time?  :'(  You'll be bored stiff.  ::)

Malone and Belvoir Park are only a few minutes drive from Belfast centre.

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 03:53:26 AM »
Chris

Go to the harbor in Portrush which is about a mile from the course and in the lower level of a building on the circle is a place called The Wine Bar that is a very hoppin Euro eatery with decent continental food and wines and sometimes some scenery; disco upstairs

If you don't want to blow it at Slieve there is a good sized weel done rest just out in front of the entry that has good food and atmosphere.

Of course everywhere has good drinks. Try Bushmills Black jack when there

It may be the same building, upstairs is a very good thai fusion type restaurant if you like spicey food. 

http://www.ramorerestaurant.com/

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Chechesee Creek & Old Barnwell

Matt MacIver

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 08:36:02 AM »
I second a stop to the Giant's Causeway, you could spend an hour or all day there it's really cool.  I visited before I played much golf so never even considered Portrush or RCD...so close, now so far away  :'(

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back