News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Young

Golf Inc- Most Important People in Golf? Really?
« on: December 22, 2011, 08:35:45 PM »
I think most in the golf business understand that golf conferences exist mainly for the good of the promoter.  And the same for many of the trade journals.  But why do they always make the management company executives the "most important people in golf".  I know the key is to "follow  the money" but I don't know why in this case.  The only thing I can think is that perhaps they are the main attendees at the conferences they present.  For the last several years most of the conferences are just a place for the various corporate guys to expense a trip and see all their buddies.  their aren't many developers or clients there. 
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

jeffwarne

Re: Golf Inc- Most Important People in Golf? Really?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 08:39:29 PM »
I think most in the golf business understand that golf conferences exist mainly for the good of the promoter.  And the same for many of the trade journals.  But why do they always make the management company executives the "most important people in golf".  I know the key is to "follow  the money" but I don't know why in this case.  The only thing I can think is that perhaps they are the main attendees at the conferences they present.  For the last several years most of the conferences are just a place for the various corporate guys to expense a trip and see all their buddies.  their aren't many developers or clients there. 

"Most important people (biggest spenders) at the conference"?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 10:43:53 PM »

"Most important people (biggest spenders) at the conference"?

That's what I'm thinking.  The biggest spenders are most likely to hire the vendors who attend the conference - the architects, contractors, lawyers, bankers, etc.   that's the way it is in every industry.  If Golf, inc. can bring those buyers of services to the event, that's where the vendors will go.   

Ian Andrew

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 11:15:39 PM »
Mike,

Haven't seen the list ... why don't you offer up yours ?
I think it might be fun to start a disucssion and see who people would pick.

I wouldn't have a clue on my end...

Mike_Young

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 09:40:48 AM »
Ian,
I can give you a start:
1. Arnold Palmer- has that personality that makes people want to listen
2. Joe Duffer- if he goes away so does the game
3- Mom and Pop course owner- they own the majority of the courses in the country and actually figure a way to live form them not sell nvestors
4- Top maintenance equipment remanufacturer- he provides a product most of the golf courses in America can justify
5- Mike Keiser- he provides an experience that Joe Duffer desires to see once a year or so...and it does not leave a desire with Joe Duffer to come back and "enhance" his place with everything he saw if at another resort. 
6- The golf Channel- it has the ability to link the game and even if we don't care for some of the show s such as Big Break ( their highest grossing show) it brings people into the game...
7- Titleist- it gives the pinnacle ball to the world
8- John Daly- he has more influence on a greater number than any of those top 25.

You add from here ;) ;)

Lou_Duran

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 10:00:22 AM »
I am told that the 1500+/- "members" of GCA.com have cracked the list, though there is considerable debate regarding their ranking.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2011, 10:11:15 AM »
Mike,

I think you and I tied for 36th on the 35 person list.....

Your list looks like a most important to golf, not most powerful in golf.  Even for the golf inc list, I wonder if most on the list ever really use their power, or even feel it?  Or do they just go to work and do what they do and change golf that way?

I do recall Bill Kubly being on or rising up the list, and he got a lot of stuff done mostly for the good of golf, like Arbor Links, Sticks for Kids, etc.  I don't know what anyone else on the list does, though.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2011, 10:48:20 AM »
The "joiner" is a new powerful cog in the golf wheel. It all started with him and will live on through him.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2011, 11:00:18 AM »
The "joiner" is a new powerful cog in the golf wheel. It all started with him and will live on through him.

I knew I had some power!

8)

But seriously, people who have to be on that list...

Finchem;
Nicklaus;
Palmer;
Woods (still);
Mickeslon;
Trump;
Keiser;
Kohler;
Augusta National (man, they could do some real good if they wanted to);

I'm sure I'll think of some more.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2011, 11:02:54 AM by Mac Plumart »
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Chris Johnston

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2011, 11:10:31 AM »

Yup

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2011, 11:22:31 AM »

I knew I had some power!

8)

Finchem;
Nicklaus;
Palmer;
Woods (still);
Mickeslon;
Trump;
Keiser;
Kohler;

Don't underestimate the good that Augusta National does every year recharging the batteries of millions of golfers coming out of winter. It has been a benchmark for me as long as I can remember.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2011, 02:02:56 PM »
According to Nordstroms, the most important people in golf are the golfers.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Eric Smith

« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2011, 02:06:46 PM »
Anthony's divorce lawyer.

DoG's worldwide are on pins and needles waiting for this one.

jeffwarne

« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2011, 02:09:57 PM »

I knew I had some power!

8)

Finchem;
Nicklaus;
Palmer;
Woods (still);
Mickeslon;
Trump;
Keiser;
Kohler;

Don't underestimate the good that Augusta National does every year recharging the batteries of millions of golfers coming out of winter. It has been a benchmark for me as long as I can remember.

;D ;D ;D

Mac,
Do you think the Masters or the USGA does more good for the game with their tournaments?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ben Sims

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2011, 02:19:11 PM »
Mark King
Billy Payne
Tim Finchem
Jack Nicklaus
Tiger Woods
Rory McIlroy
Wen Jiabao

Michael George

« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2011, 02:47:38 PM »

I know that it is cliche, but the most important people to golf is the amateur golfer that spends his money on golf club memberships, rounds at public courses, equipment, clothing and tour tickets/hospitality.  While it seems obvious, I think a lot of people in golf have become so oblivious to the real world that they have forgotten it. 

Not being cliche, I would say that the Presidents of the USGA and Royal & Ancient are the most powerful people in golf.  They may not use their power (which I think is unfortunate on many issues), but they could effect the most change in the industry if they wanted to.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Tom_Doak

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2011, 06:46:16 PM »
The most important people in golf will be whoever it is that manages to change the status quo -- which most likely won't be the guys IN the status quo who make up this list.

JC Jones

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2011, 07:15:42 PM »

This is why I'm joining a club, so John will finally approve of me.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2011, 07:23:22 PM »
The survivors.... :-\
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2011, 07:49:01 PM »

This is why I'm joining a club, so John will finally approve of me.

Doesn't anyone want to be the guy on the outside looking in anymore?  You know, Camus, L'Etranger, the free man, the sharp-eyed satirist and observer of mores? 

That's okay - I know it takes a special breed to stand alone....

JC - join away, but please don't get a-boasting, okay? 

JC Jones

« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2011, 07:57:02 PM »
I wouldn't boast.  Well, if I did I'd do it more subtly like posting on the iconic clubhouses thread... :)
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2011, 09:48:20 PM »
Mike I generally agree with your list except no John Daley and add Golfers. I might add you are seeing one of the sad aspects of our society. The bigger is better and large corporations rule making for a better world is completely wrong but one that rules the day.

Mike_Young

« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2011, 11:17:04 PM »
When it comes to the "joiners" I think we have to remember that exclusivity is earned and not purchased in golf clubs.  A "private" club today and one ten years ago are two different things.  Like the old saying: I would question joining most clubs that would have me if all they wanted was my fee. ;D

Anthony Gray

« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2011, 05:30:32 PM »

Have architects ever found jobs at these events?

Anthony

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back