News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Charlie Rymer

TV ideas for 2012
« on: December 21, 2011, 08:18:59 AM »
I'm looking for new ideas for 2012. And don't tell me to leave my cell phone in the car at Augusta or  lose weight. (Mike Young has me on his fitness routine and I've already lost 14 pounds). And don't bring up the Tiger crying thing.  (I've completed my counseling and have a gold certificate).   Give me some thoughts on features or subjects you'd like to see on pre and post game shows in 2012.  Here is your chance to provide  feedback and put forth ideas.

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: TV ideas for 2012
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 08:49:23 AM »
I think more mention should be made of the venue- its history, including architectural,and perhaps a visit inside the club house including the locker room.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

JR Potts

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 09:05:19 AM »
I think more mention should be made of the venue- its history, including architectural,and perhaps a visit inside the club house including the locker room.

Agreed.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 09:06:47 AM »
Two things...
one as a feaure series the state of modern golf architecture...a non commercial feature on messrs Doak, Hanse, coore and Crenshaw,Devries etc..showing their work, discussing their respective philosophies.
BUT WITHOUT...all the commercialsim and self promotion athat has existed in previous shows on Palmer andNicklaus.
Then a parralel series discussing the classics..Tillinghast, Ross, MACKENZIE ETCC.

On A WEEK TO WEEK BASIS, more time on the range showing the guys warming up or after the round on the range...talking to them about what they are working on...talking to the coaches/caddies.
I have always thought this is a lost opportunity for the TV companies to show to close up swing info with the public.
Most of us wouls rather see that than endless hours of putting from the leaders.

just my thoughts....and less time listening to Brandell Chamblee with his endless self opiniated and not so informed swing opinions...but that is just me ;)

Cingrats on the weight loss mate..it is hard work...

Ian Andrew

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 09:19:27 AM »
Life on the PGA

Follow 4 players we barely notice of know for the entire year. Let us see their travel, life at home, there side events, see them with their teachers, watch footage of their play, get interviews before and after the rounds and follow them week in and week out. I suggest four to improve the odds of something fantastic happening.

You can reduce this down to a month, a week, etc. to keep the costs in line.

The Building of the Olympic Course

Begin with the award of contract and follow the political, architectural and construction process from beginning to end. This should be more entertaining than survivor with all the additional backstabbing and games going on behind the scenes.

The Next Great Architect

Bring in 10 associates and have them compete in a weekly challenge. They can be routing challenges, build a bunker, build a green, etc. This goes on for 10 weeks and the winner builds a course of the First Tee Program.

That’s all I got ….

Mac Plumart

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 09:20:32 AM »
I'm looking for new ideas for 2012. And don't tell me to leave my cell phone in the car at Augusta or  lose weight. (Mike Young has me on his fitness routine and I've already lost 14 pounds). And don't bring up the Tiger crying thing.  (I've completed my counseling and have a gold certificate).   Give me some thoughts on features or subjects you'd like to see on pre and post game shows in 2012.  Here is your chance to provide  feedback and put forth ideas.

14 pounds?!?!?  Pish-posh, rumor has it a buddy of your has lost 40lbs!!!  Pick it up a notch!!!   :D

Charlie...welcome and thanks, first off...well, secondly, I made fun of you initially.  

I'd LOVE a weekly show that talks about the golf course that the weekly tournaments are being played on.  US Open week, for example, this year have a show that goes into depth on the Olympic Course...holes of note...tricky shots and holes to watch for that might cause drama...subtleties that the tv won't pick up on that might cause a few lost strokes...history of the place...great past tournaments held there...maybe a bit on who designed it...great past shots at big time tournaments...things like that...an educational piece on the course we are about to witness the best in the world play on.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

JC Jones

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 09:30:18 AM »
So Charlie Rymer is officially a dork now that he is posting on GCA. ;D

I agree with MWP although I'll take it a step further: driving range/putting green interviews with some actual substance.  Let's hear the players talk about what they are working on, why they made a recent equipment change, which holes they are going to try and score on and which they want to play safe.  Instead of getting Nobilo's thoughts on how to play the course, why not do what these guys in this thread are asking but have it come from the players who are going to be playing the course for money that week.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2011, 09:32:19 AM »
Two things...
one as a feaure series the state of modern golf architecture...a non commercial feature on messrs Doak, Hanse, coore and Crenshaw,Devries etc..showing their work, discussing their respective philosophies.
BUT WITHOUT...all the commercialsim and self promotion athat has existed in previous shows on Palmer andNicklaus.
Then a parralel series discussing the classics..Tillinghast, Ross, MACKENZIE ETCC.

On A WEEK TO WEEK BASIS, more time on the range showing the guys warming up or after the round on the range...talking to them about what they are working on...talking to the coaches/caddies.
I have always thought this is a lost opportunity for the TV companies to show to close up swing info with the public.
Most of us wouls rather see that than endless hours of putting from the leaders.

just my thoughts....and less time listening to Brandell Chamblee with his endless self opiniated and not so informed swing opinions...but that is just me ;)

Cingrats on the weight loss mate..it is hard work...

Less putting coverage (particularly taped delay faux live-amazing how many putts are made after quickly switching "live" to a player we'd otherwise have zero interest watching)
Less Brandell Chamblee....far less

Maybe a five-10 minute segment with old footage and live commentary of a player who had previously won at that venue-what he was thinking and doing.
Definitely more history.

Perhaps a few segments on what a player is keying when on the range, and what tendancies he's trying to avoid when under the gun.
and what happens to his ball when such tendancies occur (so we'd know what to look for)
Which of course would make Brandel and Johnny look even more like boobs(if that's possible) when their observations contradicted what actually happened.

More actual informed architectural coverage.
By informed architects who have seen and built modern classics-not TOUR sites and housing projects (which while part of the business, need no profiling)
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 09:42:02 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Anthony Gray

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2011, 09:35:52 AM »
One thing for sure is that Cruden Bay sales. Also a Golf Club Atlas reality series would be a big hit. Show one "Mike Young calendar photo shoot would gget it off in a bang. Grudge Match 3 should follow.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2011, 09:36:24 AM »
Maybe not what you're looking for...but... along with the aerial shots of a hole, during telecasts, perhaps a quick cut to the players view, from the different angles and distances?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2011, 09:37:12 AM »
Find some more good jokes like the one about playing twenty questions with UGA kids.  

A show about making Longshadow the big success it ought to be.   Starring Mike.  

A show on golf fashion blunders, like fat guys wearing white belts.  

Welcome to GCA.com, where, as Mr. TE Paul used to say, every day is like Dodge City when the cowboys just got paid.   ;D

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2011, 09:43:36 AM »
It could be fun to see you playing a few holes of the week's Tour stop with Average Joes picked at random from the gallery.  
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Charlie Rymer

« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2011, 09:44:53 AM »
You will love a new show on Golf Channel in 2012 that addresses what's happening on the practice range. Stay tuned.

A non-commercial show on golf course architecture isn't gonna happen. I'm not sure what you do for a living but I doubt if you do it for free. Somebody has to pay the bill. And outside of the 1300 of us geeks on this site, nobody really gives a shit about golf course architecture. I love  learning about design and try to fit in as much as I can. But the main idea is to have people tune in and stay tuned in.

Great ideas!  Keep 'me coming.

JMEvensky

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2011, 09:45:34 AM »
Maintenance practices,especially as they relate to the architecture.

Maybe a show,or series of shows,dealing with the costs of maintaining a golf course for a US Open versus a normal club versus a low end public.

Maybe the Golf Channel could take the lead in educating golfers about prioritizing a maintenance budget--emphasizing playability over the aesthetic.

George Pazin

« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2011, 09:53:21 AM »
If you choose to do the Road Trip Myrtle type thing again with Perry, I'd be happy to volunteer to join you to give you the average golfer's perspective...

Segments on how a Tour Pro would play some of the crucial holes each week, shot from the player's perspective ala Teaching Lessons... wouild be interesting to me. In particular, focusing on the not-perfect way of playing it; no one needs to see what DJ is thinking standing with a PW in the middle of the fairway, they want to see what someone is thinking from the left fairway bunker on one of the holes at TPC Sawgrass or something like that.

If you want to add a little flavor to the idea, bring in a local kid who is dreaming of playing on Tour and have him try an interesting shot with you, maybe something like trying to save par from the wrong side of the green, with it sloping away from you.

Also, I'd try to interview the course's architect and superintendent each week, preferably before and after the event.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Andy Stamm

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2011, 09:55:11 AM »
I'd like to see more on the changes of a golf course. Take Pebble which the tour goes to a lot. Show some footage etc. of the changes between the old 5th hole and the new one. The moved fairway at 6. The changed green at 7. The moved fairway at 8. Get into when and why those changes were made. Ask players how they like the new versus old. These courses are always evolving, and people love to hear from the pros about what they like and don't like.

D_Malley

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2011, 09:56:32 AM »
How about a short profile each week about a local public/muni course in the immediate area where the tour is playing that week.  You could interview the pro at each course as well as some of the unique characters that play the course regularly. A short special that brings golf down to the regular guy level.

BCrosby

« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2011, 09:59:03 AM »
Charlie -

A couple of themes for GC series:

Scared Straight - Life lessons in picking ties. Lessons I've learned the hard way on national TV.

My Bad - Golf instructors talk about their worst advice. And how to undo it. I'm thinking huge ratings. Move over ESPN.

You Think You're Long? -  Take random viewers to the range and show them what 'long' means. We're talking real drama here as viewers are humiliated and made to feel inadequate. Crying jags, the whole bit. Sort of the GC equivalent of a daytime soap.

Actually, my last idea makes me think of a real one. Take an average 12 handicapper to a PGA event, put him on a hole and show the differences between the shots he hits and the ones the pros hit. Talk about the different ways he sees the hole vs. a pro. You should host this, it could be done with great humor but also be informative.

Just don't wear that brown tie when you do it.

Hope to see you soon.

Bob

Jeff Tang

« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2011, 10:08:02 AM »
Charlie, welcome!  I think there are some great ideas here.

Love the shows on the Golf Channel.  How about making them available via podcast?  ie, pre-game, post game, Golf Central, Morning Drive, that would be some good listening in the car.

So bad it's good!

Michael Ryan

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2011, 10:10:24 AM »
BCrosby took my idea!

Charlie, I love when you guys are live on-site for pre and post-game.  Nobilo used to go out on the course during majors and re-enact a key shot that had just been hit earlier in the day.  I would love to see that be revisted with the added wrinkle of taking an average golfer out there to try and hit the shot...

Keep up the great work, Golf Channel is really on the up and up!

Mike

John_Conley

« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2011, 10:11:16 AM »
Charlie,

For pre-game interviews, add a graphic showing a "baseball card" profile of a player's career path.  It will help viewers get an appreciation for what guys have gone through.  The hard work, the ups and downs.  The setbacks.  Nobody would have to dwell on it, but maybe early in an interview of a featured player flash up their journey while asking the question.  An annual look at where they primarily played.

Randy Smashenburker

1993-1995  Broward Coummunity College
1995-1996  University of Midwestern Oklahoma
1997  Supertight Lies Tour
1998  Canadian Tour
1999  Cleveland Golf Tour
2000  Buy.com (now Nationwide Tour)
2001  did not play
2002  did not play
2003  PGA Tour
2004  Nationwide Tour
2005  Nationwide Tour
2006  Asian Tour
2007  Hooters Tour
2008  Nationwide Tour
2009  Nationwide Tour
2010  PGA Tour
2011  PGA Tour
2012  PGA Tour

It would be much different for each player and I think it will help viewers appreciate how competitive and difficult professional golf is.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2011, 10:12:01 AM »
Load Paula Creamer (and a couple of her short irons) and yourself into a food cart (Paula drives) and do some on-course interviews during practice rounds.  Paula and 'The Pro' can have a short iron challenge, Pro gets it closer than Paula he gets a hot dog -  you never get one.  

don_bartlett

« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2011, 10:14:05 AM »
I'd like to see a "What's in the bag" segment, with a focus on the work that the tour players do with the travelling OEM's...  You see a bit of this in the R11 commercials, but that's about it.  Who's the biggest club hoe, who does their own club work etc...  

BCrosby

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2011, 10:14:32 AM »
Or maybe just put Charlie and Paula in a food cart and see what happens. GC version of reality TV.

Bob

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2011, 10:18:55 AM »
Or maybe just put Charlie and Paula in a food cart and see what happens. GC version of reality TV.

Bob

;D

As long as Charlie never gets the hot dog. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back