News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: Significant work at Cypress Point Club--Number 17 Renovation
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 01:54:29 PM »
I wonder if this isn't some sort of proactive work in case the trees die.  I can't help but think of #18 at PB.

Tim,

It clearly looks like a restoration attempt to me.  The old pics show a handful of bunkers underneath that grove of trees on 17.

I wonder if they will attempt same on 18...there are at least 3 bunkers "missing" from what I can see in the old photos compared to now.

Adam Clayman

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 03:42:26 PM »
I don't recall ever seeing one of these types of Cypress die.  After a heavy rainy season, I have seen them topple, so, maybe, the bunkers are a way to direct water away from the root zone. BTw. the root zone is amazingly shallow for such stout trees.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

William_G

« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 10:41:09 PM »
the wind can topple those trees over and it does happen in the Monterey area especially where theses trees are, but I think CP would just replace the trees if that were to happen

as a restoration it sure makes it tighter if you are trying to slot your drive through the right side unless distance is not a factor

playing the back tees a few years ago, I was even with the trees with something like a wedge in

I agree that 18 would be the hole to tune up as it is the one that lingers ???
It's all about the golf!

Stewart Naugler

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2011, 08:57:39 AM »
The bunkers are being restored to the doctors original intent and the work will not hurt the existing cypress trees. Markow also did a masterful job of restoring two green-side bunkers on #17.

The cypress tree's are very sensitive though, as we had to replace the one in the middle of #16 fairway when I was there. The salt and wind off the ocean really affect the trees negatively.

Tim Nugent

« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2011, 12:51:36 PM »
Whatever the reason, I applaud them for doing it.  Now, anyway we can get the suspension bridge tee on 18? ;D
Coasting is a downhill process

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back