News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ANTHONYPIOPPI

I spoke with head greenkeeper Simon Freeman. He said the new owners have made improvements with many more to come.

http://anthonypioppi.com/golf/golf/320/optimism-at-the-machrie-golf-links-for-2012-season

Thanks for reading.

Anthony

Niall C

Re: Machrie Update: a new maintenance facility and other improvements
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2011, 02:35:37 PM »
I spoke with head greenkeeper Simon Freeman. He said the new owners have made improvements with many more to come.

http://anthonypioppi.com/golf/golf/320/optimism-at-the-machrie-golf-links-for-2012-season

Thanks for reading.

Anthony

Thanks Anthony, I look forward to seeing the brand new maintenance shed out in the middle of the course, that will look good !!

Did they say anything about what they are going to do with the course and anything else about the second 18 ?

Niall

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2011, 04:29:14 PM »
On the “Listing” thread I drew attention to Machrie and it’s historical  value.

The greenkeeper Simon Freeman has been doing a great job with a “junk yard” greenkeeping park ever since the course went bankrupt a couple of years ago.
In fact I rated the grass quality of his fescue greens better than the Machrihanish ones.

As I understand, it is mainly the infrastructure facilities that will be improved and obvious maintenance attention on the golf course, however I got the impression that no major changes were going to take place on the golf course itself.

In September I was over to visit the Islay Jazz Festival, passing by Machrihanish on the way where I played the Machrihanish Dunes twice but, unfortunately didn’t play the original Machrihanish this time, due to the remnants of Hurricane Katja that was blowing the golf bags off the course.

On Islay I played the Machrie twice, and my playing partners and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
While playing I reflected on the reasons why it appealed to me so much, considering the a lot of the course has blind shots to the greens or blind shots from the tee.

The remote location next to the sea, with practically no human habitation, gave a feeling timelessness  and freedom, one could stand still and not feel the need to move.

The naturally wild undulation fairways set in a very natural dunelands was a feast of movement and dynamic, like a writhing sea, that demanded attention of the eyes.

On a lot of the holes, the green weren’t visible and somehow the focus of attention for the position on the fairway was heightened – maybe because a green in the distance didn’t distract – but mainly because the fairway undulations forced one to think where to place the ball in order to get the best attack to the line of the hidden green.

The approach to hidden greens required one “to get it right” -  if short then inevitably you were left with a difficult “up and downer” off a sharp rise or drop.
This was the next most fun about the course – the greens being set in bowls are inevitably also undulating, so chip and runs from off the green required a lot of creative thought to choose the lines and lofts.

The greens themselves are magnificent in their variety, which goes a long way to making a great course.

That was just a short reflection without going into the different strategies of each individual hole which are each completely unique.
I recommend anyone who has the chance to do the West Highland run of Machrihanish, Machrihanish Dunes and Machrie ,and now you can add Askernish, for a great golfing adventure.

jeffwarne

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2011, 05:11:24 PM »
I loved the course.

I thought it was about a gang mower width on each side of the fairway away from perfect ;D

The water issue is real (not for the golf, but for the Hotel)
black water is a bit rough to brush one's teeth in and shower, but frankly I'd acept that trade in return for it staying as uncrowded and isolated as it is ;D.

Unfortunately, that's not a great long term business plan for them.

A maintenance building on the course would be an improvement over the deserted modernish white  motel  buildings out near the first tee
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2011, 05:40:41 PM »
Anthony,

Thanks for the nice article and update! Sounds as if the new owners are heading it in the right direction. I've not gotten out to Islay yet, though Machrie is most certainly on my list to play, and I plan to visit the area next time I'm over that way. How was that jazz festival...sounds like a good time?!
For those visiting that area, DO NOT overlook playing Dunaverty! Hard on the coast, down at the tip of the Mull of Kintyre, about a 25 minute car ride from Machrihanish, it is an 18 hole riot of about 7-8 par threes, a couple of neat fours and a super 4 1/2(the lone one on the course!). The start and finish are a bit plain, but the rest of it more than compensates.  I can't say enough about the haunting beauty of that area. It may be a bit quiet and stark for some, but if one knows where to go, there's plenty of fun to be had and the golf is solid.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2011, 05:46:46 PM »
Anthony,

Thanks for the nice article and update! Sounds as if the new owners are heading it in the right direction. I've not gotten out to Islay yet, though Machrie is most certainly on my list to play, and I plan to visit the area next time I'm over that way. How was that jazz festival...sounds like a good time?!
For those visiting that area, DO NOT overlook playing Dunaverty! Hard on the coast, down at the tip of the Mull of Kintyre, about a 25 minute car ride from Machrihanish, it is an 18 hole riot of about 7-8 par threes, a couple of neat fours and a super 4 1/2(the lone one on the course!). The start and finish are a bit plain, but the rest of it more than compensates.  I can't say enough about the haunting beauty of that area. It may be a bit quiet and stark for some, but if one knows where to go, there's plenty of fun to be had and the golf is solid.

Cheers,
Kris 8)

Dunaverty is not to missed-a perfect pairing with Machrihanish
Save the 9 hole Carradale for a pairing with Mach dunes
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2011, 10:07:05 PM »
Dunaverty is wonderful. It begins and ends blandly but the 14 holes in the middle are fantastic.

Anthony

Wade Schueneman

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 10:28:17 PM »
The Machrie is one of my very favorite courses.  It may not be one of the best, but it is a magical place with lots of charm and a number of one of a kind holes and green sites.  It is completely isolated in a vast peaty expanse next to the sea with sheep on the course (and next to the cabins) and a fast moving (brown water) stream adjacent.  2 is a fun dogleg par five, 3 has an amzing green, 6 is a great natural hole with terrific fairway movement and brings you out to the water and the largest dunes on the course.  7 is all world in my book (despite multiple blind shots) and I could just stand and look at its dizzying fairway undulations all day (and the green site is awesome as well).  8 and 9 are also outstanding isolated holes paralelling the ocean. And so it goes.  For me, 14 and 17 are also outstanding natural golf holes (17 boasting one of the coolest green sites that I have ever seen).  In short I love The Machrie and look forward to hearing everyone else's thoughts.

By the way, The Machrie is hard to get to, but it is a very scenic trip (including the ferry ride).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back