News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Breaking news from Paramount CC... and Steve Scott
« on: December 09, 2011, 09:09:05 AM »
Now we know why Steve Scott has been silent here lately. He's the new Head Pro at Paramount!!

http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/517305

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Billsteele

Re: Breaking news from Paramount CC... and Steve Scott
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 09:19:12 AM »
Good news for all involved. Dellwood...um, Paramount was the most pleasantly surprising course I encountered in 2010. Cannot wait to get back there in the future to see what Jim Urbina accomplishes with it.

Lenny Polakoff

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 09:22:54 AM »
As a member of Paramount, this is big news for us and we are excited to have him.  A player of Steve's caliber, especially in the Met section really helps put a club on the map which Paramount desperately and deservingly needs.

Jud_T

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 09:32:53 AM »
Congrats all around.  This only makes a very interesting club that much more interesting IMO...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

D_Malley

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 09:33:54 AM »
good luck Steve in the new position.

three years at The Ridge may be a new record for a Golf Pro :D

PCCraig

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 09:34:35 AM »
Congrats to Steve on the new position!
H.P.S.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 09:45:04 AM »
Congrats on the new position. I am sure it was tough to leave The Ridge. Paramount must be a special place.
Mr Hurricane

Jud_T

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 09:48:08 AM »
It would also be very interesting to hear Steve's honest opinion of the course, Jim's work, and how it plays for someone with his game over time.  Time for one of our intrepid photojournalists to take a road trip next spring...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Steve Lapper

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 11:52:04 AM »
Congrats on the new position. I am sure it was tough to leave The Ridge. Paramount must be a special place.

Thank you to everyone. We certainly think so!! The addition of Steve and his professional abilities to our club is but one more step in taking Paramount to the next level.

I am also happy to announce that beginning in 2012, we'll start hosting Hickory outings in anticipation of hoping to bring the US Hickory Open to Paramount sometime in the future. The outing(s) will be terrific fun and open to first-come, first-serve interested participants. Date(s) TBD! Feel free to contact me if you are interested.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 11:55:00 AM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Brian Chapin

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 03:15:30 PM »
Welcome to Paramount Steve!  I am excited to have you join our team and look forward to working closely with you. 

Most people may not now that Steve joins a great legacy of head professionals at Paramount CC which includes both Al Feminelli and most impressively Leo Diegel (30 PGA tour Wins).  Pretty good company!

Best of Luck to you Steve! 

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 03:44:10 PM »
Brian,

Thanks for the info about Leo Diegel. Is there a plaque in his honor somewhere on the property that I missed? I didn't know the Leo Diegel was the Pro at Dellwood. He is well known in the Philadelphia area as the former pro at Philmont from 1933-44 and is a member of the World Golf Hall of Fame:

Here is his profile from the Philly PGA section HoF:

http://philadelphia.pga.com/popup/employee_226/

Here is his profile from the WGHoF:

http://www.worldgolfhalloffame.org/hof/member.php?member=1049

His "Magic Wand" putter is on display at the USGA Museum. Note his putting style:

http://www.usgamuseum.com/about_museum/news_events/news_article.aspx?newsid=199

« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 03:46:44 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Brian Chapin

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 06:19:26 PM »
To be 100% accurate Diegel was the personal Pro to Adolph Zukor, the original private owner of the golf course, long before it was even known as Dellwood Country Club.  In those days it was known as Mountain View Farm. 

Here is an article from New York Times April 23, 1926 :

And then another from the New York Times April 21st 1928 when he apparently left Fenway to return to work for Zukor:

Also kinda cool the other little stories on that second article about Pebble and Cherry Valley...

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2011, 07:26:13 PM »
Congrats Steve,
and welcome to the MET section.

Dellwood was the site of the first tournament I played in the MET Section (20 years ago yikes! :o :o)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Steve Scott

« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2011, 12:57:55 PM »

Jim....Paramount is a special place with a lot of history that many don't know about... I hope to be able to share some of that history with everyone.
When I joined GCA I welcomed anyone to come out and see The Ridge...some took me up on that...well, I am offering the same to all to who want to experience Paramount as I would enjoy meeting and playing with you.  Going to have to wait till Spring tho!  Our superintendent Brian Chapin is well versed on course architecture and would probably share some great stories with anyone too...I simply enjoy meeting new friends that are nuts about the game as I am....

Michael George

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2011, 01:04:12 PM »
Steve:

Congratulations.  Great news for you and Paramount.

Have a Merry Christmas.
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Steve Scott

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2011, 06:42:05 AM »
Welcome to Paramount Steve!  I am excited to have you join our team and look forward to working closely with you. 

Most people may not now that Steve joins a great legacy of head professionals at Paramount CC which includes both Al Feminelli and most impressively Leo Diegel (30 PGA tour Wins).  Pretty good company!

Best of Luck to you Steve! 

Brian, I looked up Al Feminelli and he was some player!  Many have heard of Leo Diegel...pretty cool history... Would you happen to have a complete list of pros and their years at Dellwood before it was renamed to Paramount?

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2011, 08:58:22 AM »
Steve - Paramount is lucky to have you! 

Laura and I played there in 2010 and I fell in love with the place. 

Ian Dalzell

« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2011, 01:46:39 PM »
Steve
Congrats on your recent good fortune and selection as the new ambassador of golf at Paramount.  It seems from the outside looking in that the club is currently undergoing a complete facelift and re-birth of sorts, and this latest news speaks volumes to their dedication and drive to be noticed by the masses.  Urbina's final touches will be noticed by the keen eye, and so will your arrival!  You will enjoy the Section, it is a very strong playing section, and I know you and your family will revel in the opportunity to make a difference at Paramount. 

Well done in securing the position - your career has evolved and grown yet again!

Merry Christmas buddy!

Ian

Steve Scott

« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2011, 02:09:55 PM »
Steve
Congrats on your recent good fortune and selection as the new ambassador of golf at Paramount.  It seems from the outside looking in that the club is currently undergoing a complete facelift and re-birth of sorts, and this latest news speaks volumes to their dedication and drive to be noticed by the masses.  Urbina's final touches will be noticed by the keen eye, and so will your arrival!  You will enjoy the Section, it is a very strong playing section, and I know you and your family will revel in the opportunity to make a difference at Paramount. 

Well done in securing the position - your career has evolved and grown yet again!

Merry Christmas buddy!

Ian
Thanks Ian!!!  Thank you for your perspective.  It will be exciting to see what happens!

Anthony Butler

« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2011, 02:33:02 PM »

Jim....Paramount is a special place with a lot of history that many don't know about... I hope to be able to share some of that history with everyone.
When I joined GCA I welcomed anyone to come out and see The Ridge...some took me up on that...well, I am offering the same to all to who want to experience Paramount as I would enjoy meeting and playing with you.  Going to have to wait till Spring tho!  Our superintendent Brian Chapin is well versed on course architecture and would probably share some great stories with anyone too...I simply enjoy meeting new friends that are nuts about the game as I am....

Steve, congrats on the new position and I think you will enjoy it... Steve Lapper was kind enough to host me out at Paramount in May of this year and I was lucky enough to play with Brian who took me through all the changes Jim Urbina had made and what was on the slate for the coming year. If the club could just figure out how to shut that access road or put it underground, you'd be all set... :)

When all the changes are made and Brian has it playing firm and fast  I would be happy to come down to do a course review for GCA.com if Golf's Most Beloved Figure doesn't beat me to it....

« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 07:56:17 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2011, 11:02:50 PM »
Congratulations to Steve and Jim Urbina. What a great project.

Stuart Goldstein

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 10:23:49 AM »
Steve,

Congratualtions to you and Paramount.  I live in the area and would welcome the opportunity to visit and see the work that has been done.  I know the new owners are putting in a lot of energy and money into the club.

Stuart

Steve Scott

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2011, 06:00:07 PM »
Steve,

Congratualtions to you and Paramount.  I live in the area and would welcome the opportunity to visit and see the work that has been done.  I know the new owners are putting in a lot of energy and money into the club.

Stuart
Come on down...things are changing for the better!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back