News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Scottish Highland (goilf) dreams
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2011, 01:54:09 AM »
Kris

While many think golf is about all passion, I think looking at courses critically is a difficult combo of head and heart.  If you think Dornoch's 7th is as good as the best of Nairn than you are not using your head enough - tee hee.

Boony

There is no question I would rather play Brora over Nairn.  It seems a reasonable conclusion to draw if I think both courses are about equal in quality and Brora is half the price. 

BTW - from my three visits to the general area, Nairn had by far the best quality greens.  In fact, the combo of firmness and speed was right up there with the best I have ever seen in GB&I.

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 01:57:24 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Simon Holt

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2011, 07:31:24 AM »
I thought Moray Old was great fun.  It reminded me of the New at St. Andrews on the front 9 and then a little of North Berwick in places on the back.  Obviously no walled aspect but 17 had a similar shape and feel to 11 at North Berwick with the dunes on the left.

16 was a great short 4.

The experience left me thinking that while huge towering dunes may be spectacular, the smaller to medium variety provide some fantastic greensites without casting greens in shade or blocking air circulation.  It also gives sense of openness to enjoy the surroundings while feeling like you are navigating sizeable lumps and bumps.  This is definitely my sort of course- not right up there for 'best courses ever played etc'- but enjoyable and lots of fun.

My memory of Moray Old will be of fun short fours between flowing dunes and low flying planes!

Haste ye back.

S
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 07:41:53 AM by Simon Holt »
2011 highlights- Royal Aberdeen, Loch Lomond, Moray Old, NGLA (always a pleasure), Muirfield Village, Saucon Valley, watching the new holes coming along at The Renaissance Club.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2011, 10:42:42 AM »
Sure, Brora has a raw, shabby chic presentation; IT'S THE BEST VALUE IN LINKS GOLF....PERIOD!!!!
It's £1 a round less and £3 a day more than Silloth.  Silloth isn't shabby chic and is, in my book, a better course.  Silloth is better value.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2011, 10:56:29 AM »
If ever two courses match up extremely well in quality it is Silloth and Brora.  I may just choose Brora (assuming prices don't sky rocket with Dornoch nearby) because it is a much more beautiful course, but the next day I may choose Silloth.  Either way, both are well worth a significant over-night detour to play.

Ciao 
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Niall C

« Reply #29 on: November 17, 2011, 12:28:31 PM »
Simon

Delighted you enjoyed Old Moray. There's a real good mix of par 4's but then again theres enough of them !

Can you remember what tee you played off on no. 10 ? Its the second short par 4 when you've crossed over the road. The back tee is to the right of the 9th green and the front tee is to the left. Members are allowed to play from whatever tee they want a most I notice play of the back tees. Personally I prefer that on this course however on this hole I think the front tee is a cracker and basically makes the hole play as a long par 3.

And absolutely agree about the 16th, a fantastic green.

BTW, what other courses did you play while you were up here ?

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back