News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JLahrman

Re: Mike Whitaker Farewell to Broadway Tour
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2011, 04:30:35 PM »
Jim, that is three degrees from Michael Whitaker.

mike_malone

« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2011, 05:18:22 PM »
 Last seen at Rolling Green 11/1/11.
AKA Mayday

Jason Topp

« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2011, 05:24:32 PM »
I appreciate these pictures.  I have only seen Whitaker at other locations and he has not been available when I have been in New York so I was starting to suspect this move was a ruse.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2011, 05:28:11 PM »
I like the idea of the 6 degrees of separation in the Mike Whitaker club, if the standard of first degree is being in a foursome with him at a golf gathering of GCA participants.  So I got that covered and off the bucket list... come to think of it, got it covered with Sir Boab as well.  ;D

What is the standard of the lowest sixth degree?  Maybe... know a guy that knew a guy that slept with a guy that was formerly a guy in one of his foursomes of a GCA unsanctioned event?  :o

Nice...allow me to suggest a scale:

1 degree:  Playing a round of golf with him at a GCA event
2 degrees:  Playing any other round of golf with him
3 degrees:  Chatting with him at a GCA event...maybe sitting next to him at dinner, for instance
4 degrees:  Exchanging email banter or PMs with him on the website
5 degrees:  Seeing him walk past you, but not getting his autograph, handshake or any small bit of conversation due to the paparazzi
6 degrees:  None of the above

How about if he's your fourball partner in a GCA event and you win?   ;D

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2011, 05:55:35 PM »
Ha, ha, ha... you guys are a riot!  ;D

Let me just say that this has been a fabulous year and there are numerous folks I need to thank for making my "New York" and "Sixtieth Birthday Celebration" tours a success... but, at the top of the list is Michael Sweeney. Without Mike looking out for me and introducing me to a long list of GCA brethren I would not have had the opportunity to visit very many of the outstanding venues I've seen this year. He is a special guy (in a lot of ways) and I can't thank him enough.

As for the dinner in honor of Bob Huntley... it was a wonderful evening filled with fine food, luscious wine, and spirited conversation. I have have read many stories over the years about the elegant Mr. Huntley and I can now say that they must all be true. He absolutely lives up to his suave reputation. As for his prowess at first tee negotiations... no first hand knowledge there... maybe some day!  ;)
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2011, 05:58:54 PM »
Jeeze... I knew these dudes were big, but seeing me in a line-up with them is scary!!! I'm a 200-pounder... these guys make me look like a pip-squeak!  :o

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Scott Warren

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2011, 06:03:17 PM »
I suspect I might win this Mike Whitaker game.

1. played golf with him at multiple GCA events.
2. played golf with him at multiple non-GCA events.
3. we belong to the same golf club in a country neither of us live.
4. joined him on an international road trip.
5. played golf with him in three countries, across two hemispheres.
6. Roomed with him at Boomerang.
7. Roomed with my wife at Casa Whitaker.
8. Got blind drunk with the "other" Mike Whitaker!

If you haven't met Mike Whitaker, are you really living life?

JLahrman

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2011, 06:11:23 PM »
Scott,

Sounds like you are zero degrees from Michael Whitaker.

In other words, you might actually BE Michael Whitaker.

We might have a "Fight Club" situation going on here.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 06:18:12 PM by JLahrman »

Mike Policano

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2011, 07:59:57 PM »
I played with Mike and Scott this summer. Hmmmm, I have never seen them together.

Mike Sweeney, thanks for a great night. Too bad there was snow on the ground and we couldn't play somewhere close yesterday. It was a pleasure to be in the company of Sir Bob and his posse.

One last thing, when will Pat Mucci learn to tell a story?

Cheers, Mike

Bill_McBride

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2011, 08:22:38 PM »
I played with Mike and Scott this summer. Hmmmm, I have never seen them together.

Mike Sweeney, thanks for a great night. Too bad there was snow on the ground and we couldn't play somewhere close yesterday. It was a pleasure to be in the company of Sir Bob and his posse.

One last thing, when will Pat Mucci learn to tell a story?

Cheers, Mike

Lefty, could you please elaborate on Mr. Mucci's story?

Mike Hendren

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2011, 10:12:47 PM »
Forget Whitaker.  That Huntley is such a moocher!

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

SPDB

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2011, 10:50:37 PM »
Wow.

That I was snubbed for this event, I will probably overcome with time.

The fact that the NYC portion of the farewell tour took place at my home city club will probably be too much for me to bear.

Sweens....
« Last Edit: November 02, 2011, 10:54:09 PM by SPDB »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2011, 07:27:21 AM »
I thought I'd had a good year and Mike beats me hands down!!
Cave Nil Vino

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2011, 08:37:28 AM »

Well ... I bunked across the way at his Barnbougle stretch and let's just say it was an odd affair between the two  ;).  Two grumpy old ladies I tell you...

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Bill Brightly

« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2011, 12:51:31 PM »
Bausch and Whitaker, pre Farewell Tour

Chris Shaida

« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2011, 02:21:03 PM »
Well, in the last 9 days I played golf with the guy at Yale (thank you Mr Sweeney!), BCC (thank you Mr Franklin!), Rolling Green (thank you Mr Malone!); played against him at Providence (thank you captains Topp and Pritchett); had dinner with him at Ballyhack and Kinloch (thank you Mr George); and then dinner yet again in NYC (thanks again Mr Sweeney et al).

I also spent some twenty plus hours (yes, you heard right) in the car with him and let me tell you that until you've done that you haven't really...

Jim Franklin

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2011, 03:45:52 PM »
Chris - You guys were great and I am sure you had fun with Mike. How could you not? By the way, Frank said thank you very much.
Mr Hurricane

Howard Riefs

« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2011, 03:51:09 PM »
Any truth to the rumor that after his grand travels in 2011, Mike won't be leaving the state of South Carolina in 2012?

Hope not as I aim to move up form my "third degree" to at least a "second degree."
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2011, 04:23:34 PM »
I also spent some twenty plus hours (yes, you heard right) in the car with him and let me tell you that until you've done that you haven't really...

Yes... spend 20+ hours alone in a car with someone and you learn a lot about them. I learned that Chris is a peach of a fellow who cares about his fellow human beings as much as anyone on the planet. Also... he loves Dylan, loves to harmonize, and hates to drive. There's more, but I'll save that for when I really need it.  ;D

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2011, 04:24:23 PM »
Patrick - which one was I? Felix or Oscar?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2011, 04:28:38 PM »
I thought I'd had a good year and Mike beats me hands down!!

Mark - I will be in NYC through the end of November. I'm off to SC tomorrow to meet up with Robin Hiseman and help him do some research for his book. I've got several rounds of golf planned:  Caledonia, True Blue and Bulls Bay among a few others.

I'll be back in NY on Nov 14. This will be my last chance to put a cherry on top of my year. Wish me luck!

On Dec 1 I will send you a list of all the courses I visited during 2011... you won't believe it!!!!!!

Will MacEwen

« Reply #46 on: November 03, 2011, 04:30:35 PM »
Mike please post that list so that we may compare it to Mayhugh's career year.

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #47 on: November 03, 2011, 04:37:36 PM »
Any truth to the rumor that after his grand travels in 2011, Mike won't be leaving the state of South Carolina in 2012?

Hope not as I aim to move up form my "third degree" to at least a "second degree."

Howard - My wife and I are moving back to Greenville, SC on Dec 1. We will be in SC for at least a year until we decided what we are going to do with the rest of our lives. There is a VERY good chance we will be back in NYC from 2013 on for at least 4-6 months of the year.  :)

As for 2011... I'll not be going on as many trips as I did this year, but I'll definitely be leaving SC on occasion to see some of my GCA friends! GCA has changed my life forever!!!

Rumor has it that a good number of GCA'ers will be visiting SC in 2012, so my travel schedule might be a bit easier next year.  ;)

Michael George

« Reply #48 on: November 03, 2011, 04:42:07 PM »

Michael:

To make us with normal lives feel a little better about ourselves, can you at least highlight where the weather was not perfect or where you played bad.  I usually don't ask for the negative, but in order to swallow this list, it may require it.  At least it will help me get through the winter, which has already started.  LOL

In all truth, can't wait to see it.

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #49 on: November 03, 2011, 04:54:51 PM »
Mike please post that list so that we may compare it to Mayhugh's career year.

No way I am going to compare anything I do to Mayhugh... he is the MASTER and has a great year EVERY year.

2011 has been an exceptional year... I threw caution to the wind and accepted every golfing opportunity presented to me. It has been a blast, but is totally unsustainable!!! Come 2012 I will return to my usual routine and fade back into my normal state of GCA obscurity.  :'(

« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 05:07:20 PM by Michael Whitaker »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back