News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bruce Katona

Re: "... but I should have scored X shots better."
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2011, 03:02:31 PM »
Back when I played much more, I rarely kept score as I had read where to practice best you should practice your shot making under on-course playing conditions.  As most of my play was off-peak weekday play, many time either by myself or with just one additonal person, i would have 4-5 balls in my pocket when hitting either a drive or approcach shot.

If there was a mishit or misplayed shot, i would drop another ball down and replay the shot until achieving the result I was looking for. I could then attempt to recover from my misplayed ball to scramble for a par or bogey. It was great practice and iI learned how to hit the shots I needed.

If playing for $$, as some people must do to be interested (not me), I'd prefer to play a game of Skins or match play.  A bad shot in Skins or match play means the loss of 1 hole, which can be recovered.  In stroke play a bad hole will likely mean the loss of a 9 hole Nassau, too large of a penalty for someone who plays infrequently. 

I'd prefer to not play for $$ and just enjoy the fresh air and a good walk, frankly.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2011, 03:02:37 PM »
Honestly,

I would play more match play if I could...but none of my friends want to do so.  They are very stuck on the pencil and card mentality.  And when they do agree to do match play...they usually just think of it as an afterthought and turn to the number of overall strokes as the overall guide.

However last weekend was fun.  We played 3 vs 1 matchplay with best ball.

It was me - 13.5, and two work buddies - 19 and a 22.

Vs.

A 3 capper.

Safe to say he put the wood to us and closed us out 5 and 3.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2011, 03:14:49 PM »
Sheehy,

Who would have ever thought that you would come over here and we end up playing your style of golf?!  I loved Sebonack and you're correct in that the firmness of the greens / surrounds mixed with the contours was not what I'm accustomed to playing on a regular basis.  I wish it was though as it's more fun than the normal slop that I play in regularly!

Tim Martin

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2011, 06:03:54 PM »

I wonder -- is there a correlation between not keeping score and playing great golf courses?

Am I alone in this journey? Anyone else besides me (and Mr. Webb) not keeping score?
Eric,

You're probably not alone in that that, especially when it comes to playing great golf courses.  For me, it's not so much a function of refusing to keep score, as much as it is not caring as much about score than I used to.

When I'm visiting a great course, I'm more concerned about the "experience" than the quantitative "grade" I get when adding up the strokes.  For example, If I'm 225 out on a Par 5 at Kinloch with water in front, I'm thinking about the chance to tell the story about the Eagle or 2 putt Birdie I made for the next 40 years, regardless of whether an "x" is the more likely outcome.  For me, a Wedge/Wedge/2 Putt Par will last as long in my memory bank as the "x," particularly if it's a course I probably won't play frequently.  The same theory goes for 10% chance recovery shots.  

At the end of the round, I can probably say "I would have shot X if I'd just taken the safe route" but that's just not a real concern to me at this point in my golf life (unless that stroke was the difference between 79 and 80 - then it's the most important thing in the world). :D

I still play in club tournaments and play with a little more focus on score (which only tempers my approach a little), but I enjoy the liberation of not caring about overall score, which does allow me to focus more on some of the things you mentioned.

Kevin-I remember the round this past June out at BPB with you, Ron, and Chris and how absolutely frustrated I was after 6 holes. It was so liberating to stick the scorecard deep in the bag and just play shot by shot and enjoy the company and the golf course. As Brian Sheehy said Americans are conditioned to keeping score due to the system that is in place. Score can definitely get in the way of enjoyment if you are obsessed with it.

Tim Martin

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2011, 06:05:46 PM »
delete
« Last Edit: October 28, 2011, 06:08:22 PM by Tim Martin »

Bill Brightly

« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2011, 09:18:24 PM »
George,

Your topic is a good one, so thank you for causing me to stop and think to type this. Initially, I thought my response might need its own thread, but in the end you did ask for our thoughts and this is mine.

I wonder -- is there a correlation between not keeping score and playing great golf courses? I ask because George's question has me realizing that other than one round in July when playing a tournament (at DISMAL RIVER! :-*), I haven't been keeping score for some time.

Eric,

Your decision to stop keeping score is interesting. I have no doubt that this allows you to more fully study a course, to take in its beauty, to examine all the various options available, etc., without being distracted by worrying about your score.  (By the way, the first time I played with Ran I realized after a few holes I that this is what he was doing. It was cool to watch him watch the course :) )

I am probably the polar opposite. I am trying to make the best possible score on every hole I ever play. I certainly appreciate great holes and take the time to study as I walk, but when it comes to hitting my next shot, I am tryinmg to focus 100% on the shot. As a result, after playing a course for the first time I can barely remember hole numbers, and my memory of the course has very few specifics. This always disappoints me a little.

But golf is a game. The objective is to get it in the hole with as few strokes a possible. Do you ever feel that you are missing the point of the game by focusing so much on the playing field? Could it be that while you are "studying" the architect's challenges, I am more fully "experiencing" them in the manner that was intended?

Eric Smith

« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2011, 12:32:45 AM »
Hi Bill. Let me put it this way. I know my score on the hole when I putt out. I know it on the next tee, as I am cognizant of honors golf when and if the others in the group are playing it. I just don't keep up with how many over I am for the round. I want to make birdies like you and try to hit good shots. There has been a transition for me, however, in the 'care' department when it comes to the cumulative effort. Every shot out there becomes it's own 'event' is all I can think to call it. I have a ton of fun playing, and the great thing is it feels like it keeps getting better! Not my game, but the fun.

Mike Hogan

« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2011, 09:36:40 AM »
Eric,
I think you may be on to something and I may have proof.
I played the other day and was having a great time and enjoying the fall day and good company, not caring about any score. After Nine one of the guys I'm playing with says " your playing good what are you 2 over? " Kiss of Death I tell ya. 
I said I didn't know I wasn't keeping track. I then started counting and he was right. I thought to myself if I could just do the same on the back I have a career round. I then went on to shoot +12 on the back. All I could think of was the score and how it was adding up.
Mike

Andy Troeger

« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2011, 09:44:26 AM »
I think this has more to do with the golfer than the golf course. Some courses may cause the golfer to lose more strokes in what seem like simple ways, but its either part of the golfers' mentality or its not. When playing competitively I could ALWAYS point out to a place where I shouldn't have lost a stroke or two, but I know pretty much follow Eric's model of not keeping score. I could add them up at the end of a round in most cases if someone wanted to know my score, but I don't pay much attention while playing.

Travis Dewire

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2011, 11:19:40 AM »
As the saying goes, "No round of golf is so good, that it couldn't have been better"

Tom ORourke ? From Nashua, NH, Sven's brother?

Tom and I are not related.

Surely, you can not be the only Sven in New England.....

or perhaps I am wrong?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back