News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Noel Freeman

I first met David Dobby a decade ago.  If ever there was a gentleman or a quintessential English Gentleman in the game of golf, David is the personification of this.  He is a restorer of churches/architect by trade but is also a writer, poet and Deal's club historian.  David has been playing Deal for over 50 years and has dedicated much of his life to getting the history of the club documented.  I have shared over 50 rounds over Deal's sacred land with him,  been fortunate to stay at his house where he and his wife Lesley  tend to one of the great gardens (and award winning) in England and actually been taught that no matter how far I hit the ball a septugenarian can still beat me by wielding a hot putter and knowledge of the ground game.  I will also be forever greatful to David for sponsoring me for Deal membership a decade ago and as many know, it is my favorite place in the game--and I must thank Russell Talley for introducing me to David and for taking me to Deal back in 2000.

David has been interviewed by Ran here:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/david-dobby-august-2004/

David has written two other books-  A guide to Kent's golf courses and the wonderful coffee table book he did in 1992: Royal Cinque Ports Golf Club, Deal: A Personal Record of these Ancient Links in their Centenary Year complete with poems and great drawings done by David.

BUT--

I write this because David's new book on Royal Cinque Ports' Club history is now DONE.  I know this has been a labor of love and occupied much of the recent years for David and the club has sanctioned its publication etc.

There are many Deal fans here besides me but I hope some of you order the book--- I know it will be of the finest quality.

Ordering information and pdf..

http://www.royalcinqueports.com/files/royalcinqueports.com/57/Englands_Finest_Links.pdf

Noel Freeman

« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 11:28:46 AM by NFreeman »

Sean_A

I first met David Dobby a decade ago.  If ever there was a gentleman or a quintessential English Gentleman in the game of golf, David is the personification of this.  He is a restorer of churches/architect by trade but is also a writer, poet and Deal's club historian.  David has been playing Deal for over 50 years and has dedicated much of his life to getting the history of the club documented.  I have shared over 50 rounds over Deal's sacred land with him,  been fortunate to stay at his house where he and his wife Lesley  tend to one of the great gardens (and award winning) in England and actually been taught that no matter how far I hit the ball a septugenarian can still beat me by wielding a hot putter and knowledge of the ground game.  I will also be forever greatful to David for sponsoring me for Deal membership a decade ago and as many know, it is my favorite place in the game--and I must thank Russell Talley for introducing me to David and for taking me to Deal back in 2000.

David has been interviewed by Ran here:
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/david-dobby-august-2004/

David has written two other books-  A guide to Kent's golf courses and the wonderful coffee table book he did in 1992: Royal Cinque Ports Golf Club, Deal: A Personal Record of these Ancient Links in their Centenary Year complete with poems and great drawings done by David.

BUT--

I write this because David's new book on Royal Cinque Ports' Club history is now DONE.  I know this has been a labor of love and occupied much of the recent years for David and the club has sanctioned its publication etc.

There are many Deal fans here besides me but I hope some of you order the book--- I know it will be of the finest quality.

Ordering information and pdf..

http://www.royalcinqueports.com/files/royalcinqueports.com/57/Englands_Finest_Links.pdf

Tuco

I already ordered it.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tony_Muldoon

Love the title.

I do hope the club will be sending a courtesy copy to all the other Royal clubs. ;D

Let's make GCA grate again!

Dale Jackson

I do hope the club will be sending a courtesy copy to all the other Royal clubs. ;D

Me too  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

John Mayhugh

I recently finished reading David Dobby’s England’s Finest Links.  It’s very well done, and I am really glad that I have it.  Some interesting bits from the book

This great quote from Henry Cotton as he prepared to defend his Open title there:
“It is possible at nearly every hole to place a ball bang in the middle of the fairway and then find yourself in such an awkward position that a successful shot can scarcely be played.  What is more galling than that?”

It’s impressive to read about the resilience of the club and its members, surviving floods and wars. At the onset of WWII, the club decided to try to stay open, but sent its staff from the ages of 18-40 out to look for work “of national importance.”  They encouraged members leaving to support the war effort to maintain membership at a nominal fee.  The course was essentially converted over to support the war, with sheep grazing and pillboxes installed. One of them remains along the 16th fairway, with plans to remove it not working out. I’m glad it’s still there.

After the war, this committee report got right down to the important thing:
Handicaps as allotted in 1939 will be in force.  Members wishing to have their handicap adjusted are asked to take out 3 cards for submission to the Handicap Committee.

There’s one of the funnier caddie lines I’ve heard from Dicky Love.  An American (of course) is hacking it up and in exasperation asks Love: “Caddie, what am I doing?”  His response:  “F…..g up the course, sir!”

There’s a story of a past Captain whose dog Badger might be better remembered than the Captain himself.  Badger could be relied on to go ahead to the halfway house with a drink order tucked into her collar.  There’s just enough of stories like this that provide some of the “color” of the club, but not so many that the reader tires of hearing about unfamiliar people.

There are loads of photos included.  After reading David’s book, I’m dying to get back down to Kent.  Those that are wise enough to buy this club history will want to join me.

Bill_McBride

I am enjoying my copy too.   I don't think I've ever had a better time at a club than at Deal.  Great old clubhouse with great shower room, great stiff who were kind enough to introduce me to the Pimm's Cup.   Like Mayhugh I look forward to a return visit with relish.

Mark Chaplin

You sure Cotton said that?? He didn't win the 1908 or 1919 Open!

Bill I'd have thought your days of "great stiff" were nearing an end  :o

Laura of our great staff when John Mayhugh orders a Kummel "Double?" JM "No a single" L "Mr Mayhugh your on holiday make it a double" by this point a double had been poured so John never had any choice in the matter!
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 05:37:25 PM by Mark Chaplin »
Cave Nil Vino

Noel Freeman

John-

There is a reason I fell in love with the place 12 years ago when I first went down there.   One of my fondest memories of Deal was earlier this year.  I was playing with David Dobby as usual and it was my best round of the year-- a year which had been full of frustration for many reasons.   But, we started off in blue skies, the larks were singing--and like I believe Donald Steel said, the larks sing a bit more at Deal than anywhere else, with no bias I can honestly say that is true.  David told me a decade ago, in his 40 (now 50+) years at Deal than when the larks stop singing rain is coming and when they start singing when it is raining it will stop within 10 minutes.. No greater forecaster of the weather have I seen than the Deal Larks.  So we make the turn and I'm 2 over and beating David who is chipping in from all over the course.. It is tough to lose to a septuagenarian but David has a propensity to ask for the right amount of strokes when we play.  We get to #12 and I end up in the left rough which is the worst place to be on the course.  It is a bogey maker.  But miraculously I use the slope of the green (the U shape) to save par.  On #13 I hit a great tee shot and an approach to 3 feet.. But David had said as we left the tee that the larks had stopped chirping and looking West we saw a giant funnel black cloud, something I've never seen at Deal.  And then came the worst thunderstorm I've ever seen in the UK.  We had to go as quickly as possible to seek shelter at the Chequers Inn where I proceeded to drink away my sorrows.. +1 after 13 (I tapped in during the rain) and the course was flooded out.  2 hours later with some friends safely ensconced in the clubhouse (they were 2 holes ahead at the start), we made our way back in brilliant sunshine to the car park, soaked and I was a bit buzzed.  My best shot at a career round at Deal and the elements forbade it.  Deal is a cruel taskmaster who doesn't give up a score under any circumstances..  :P

By the way, the apres golf in the town of Deal is as good as it gets..

« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 05:35:01 PM by NFreeman »

Mark Chaplin

Past Captain Gordon Taylor now sadly deceased once started drinking gin and water to the surprise of all his friends, he reckoned he could save £3000 per annum in tonic water!!
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Chaplin

Numerous amusing stories from the Halford Hewitt including another Taylor special;

http://www.halfordhewitt.org/files/halfordhewitt.org/42/Hewitt_Trivia_2006.pdf

Some years ago, when Cranleigh were having one of their better runs, they were taking dinner in the Deal clubhouse. It was, as usual a festive occasion and the wine flowed freely. Amidst the noise and laughter, no one had noticed that life long supporter of Cranleigh, Gordon Taylor, had slipped out of the room.

A short while later the laugher was abruptly silenced as Gordon reappeared clad in only in his underpants, carrying a rolled up copy of the FT burning like some ancient torch and chanting ‘I’m taking Cranleigh to the Olympics’.
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Chaplin

Taylor was a legend, there is a plaque in the corner of the bar of the East India Club saying words to the effect of "Gordon Taylor ate, drank and slept here".

At the past Captain's dinner a couple of weeks ago a distinguished past captain declined to complete a bar dive a good number of years since his last successful effort. Even at this most sedate of events we didn't leave the bar until gone midnight!
Cave Nil Vino

Mark Chaplin

One of the finest statements ever, referring to another Hewitt team;

Cutting a long story short, the team arrived back at their hotel to continue the party into the early hours of the morning with one or two ladies who, by all accounts, had long since lost their amateur status.
Cave Nil Vino

Sean_A

I too am just finishing the book and it is very good.  I like how the info is presented to make it easy to skip over not terribly interesting stuff.  Its almost in note form with highlighted sections for people.  There is a lot of info on the course.  The only criticism I have is there is too much talk and pix of flooding.  One would think this is a serious problem if he just flips through the book. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Bill_McBride

You sure Cotton said that?? He didn't win the 1908 or 1919 Open!

Bill I'd have thought your days of "great stiff" were nearing an end  :o

Laura of our great staff when John Mayhugh orders a Kummel "Double?" JM "No a single" L "Mr Mayhugh your on holiday make it a double" by this point a double had been poured so John never had any choice in the matter!

Tyop, shoulda been "staff ".  Otherwise sad but true.    Although Ms Laura..... ;D

Scott Warren

My copy arrived in the mail today (I was a bit slow on the uptake ordering).

Herbert Fowler's appraisal of the links made for interesting reading.

Really enjoying the book, but it is making me miss my home away from home.

Tony_Muldoon

I can't wait to see David again and congratulate him on a superb job.

I have dozen's of club hisotries and this is one of the few I would say that do a good job. The club has a fantastic history and its organised and told in a beautiful manner.

I wil also ask him if he'd mind me extracting a list of all the tweaking that's been proposed and carried out over the years and positng it on here. I was surprised at the no of them.   More proof that on the whole, great golf courses evolve rather than are born fully realised.

Enjoy Scott.

Bill_McBride

Is it time for another Deal Buda Cup?   ;D

Mark Pearce

Let me see...

Soemone had proposed Ireland next year.  Then there is the suggestion that we should visit Holland/Belgium.  Then there's the South West.  2017?
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Tony_Muldoon

Let me see...

Soemone had proposed Ireland next year.  Then there is the suggestion that we should visit Holland/Belgium.  Then there's the South West.  2017?

Notts, Le Touquet, West Country,Scotland...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back