News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_Rowlinson

Which architect has done the most to encourage new golfers?
« on: October 02, 2011, 04:43:20 PM »
Bendelow? F.G.Hawtree?

Dan Herrmann

Re: Which architect has done the most to encourage new golfers?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 05:13:25 PM »
Alex Findlay - to me, the "Johnny Appleseed" of golf in the US.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 05:33:29 PM »

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 06:03:29 PM »
End of thread I guess :)

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 06:36:05 PM »
End of thread I guess :)

Ulrich

Perhaps we should change this to be classic/modern architects?

I wonder if anyone would consider Fazio as an architect to encourage new golfers.  Possibly RTJ Sr?   I know when I was a kid I went out of my way to play some RTJ courses, especially Spyglass.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2011, 06:56:51 PM »
To encourage new golfers, you've got to build courses that people can afford to play.  That would eliminate pretty much all of the highly-paid signature designers.

I learned to play on a course designed by Geoffrey Cornish, who I'm told designed the course for a fee of $1,000 back in 1970.  He did a lot of courses in New England on the same basis.  I'm sure he didn't reach as many new golfers as Old Tom, but that's not bad for a modern-day architect.  I suppose guys like Bill Diddel would also be right up there.

JR Potts

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 07:54:27 PM »
Tom Bendelow has to be right up there...if not at the top.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 08:01:04 PM »
I agree Old Tom is #1.  But CBM hasn't been mentioned.  Without him, are we still golfing in the U.S.?
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 08:12:51 PM »
Even if Donald Ross did a large number of courses on the fly ... didn't his modest effort create a better series of courses than would have otherwise been created.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 08:54:08 PM by Carl Rogers »

Terry Lavin

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 08:21:54 PM »
The one who built the first 19th hole, obviously. A reason to come back.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Anthony Gray

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 08:40:16 PM »

yes.                         

Mac Plumart

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 08:44:17 PM »
Don't you have to discuss Palmer and Nicklaus?

They are architects and they have gotten a bundle of people to play golf.  Perhaps not because of their golf course designs, but nevertheless people have picked up golf because of these guys.  (Okay, commence to throwing rotten tomatoes, and the like, at me.   :-*  )
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 09:06:51 PM »
Gentlemen,

This errant golfer, as a novice, was encouraged to keep playing  by the architect who designed Ashludie Golf Course in Monifieth just by Carnoustie. For the love of me I cannot discover who that architect was. Any locals in that area have any clues?

It was (is) a very, short, simple but engaging green....and cheap at sixpence a round in 1963. Sounds exactly what Tom Doak is advocating when I come to think of it.

I tell you..... it was much more exciting than the cow fields (literally cow paddocks not a Sam Sneadism!) I had hitherto hit golf balls in up to that time!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 09:11:55 PM »
RTJ senior should be in the mix.  It was he who really put the golf architect on the lips of the golfer.  Courses across the country would publicize, "designed by Robert Trent Jones."  I remember as  a young boy being thrilled if I got to play on an honest to goodness RTJ course.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Scott Stearns

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 09:15:07 PM »
Fazio-prove me wrong

Jason Walker

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 09:34:32 PM »
Still trying to figure out how golf course architects encourage new golfers...

Sam Morrow

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 09:38:51 PM »
The Dr. has done the most to encourage new golfers. Even though many golfers don't realize it. Many people started playing the game because they watch The Masters. That's where I get my reasoning.

Sorry Melvyn, but if you think Old Tom has done the most to encourage new golfers then you are even more out of touch with regular golfers than we first thought.

Lester George

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 10:53:43 AM »

Consider William and David Gordon and Ed Ault for their work between 1960 and 1980.  Many public and mid-range country clubs.

Lester

Mark Pearce

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 11:05:47 AM »
Tiger Woods.

Sorry.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Randy Thompson

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2011, 11:40:58 AM »
Joe Lee, Donald Ross and Cornish

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2011, 11:45:05 AM »
I would go with Arnie and Tiger as the ones who got most people golfing, as players and not architects.  Not sure how Jones, Snead and Hogan affected play earlier, but I know my Dad started playing because of Snead.

I disagree that any big name got more people playing because of architecture.  My first instinct was Bendelow, or his first employer the Spauling Co., but every area did have their regional Johnny Appleseeds who built affordable golf courses, too.  However, it was probably some course that first came up with a $1 off coupon to play.  Maybe some pro who gave the first lesson free.  And so on.

After all, other than the Masters example, they don't know what the course looks like until they show up.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Jay Flemma

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2011, 11:54:43 AM »
That's a fascinating question, but how do you quantify it?  Is it possible that the threshhold question is "to what extent do architects draw people to the game?"  My first instinct, without deep reflection on it, is that Melvyn is right.  Tiger's not an architect, so he doesn't count, but Jack - has he really kept in the game the people he brought?  And didn't he bring more in as a player than an archie?

What about Mackenzie 2d?  Then Ross?

Who of the modern architects is the leader in the clubhouse?
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

michael damico

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2011, 12:17:30 PM »
Bendelow, Ross, RTJ, Cornish

I think we still have to wait a bit for the next name...
"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
                                                                -fz

Niall C

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2011, 01:36:52 PM »
Gentlemen,

This errant golfer, as a novice, was encouraged to keep playing  by the architect who designed Ashludie Golf Course in Monifieth just by Carnoustie. For the love of me I cannot discover who that architect was. Any locals in that area have any clues?

It was (is) a very, short, simple but engaging green....and cheap at sixpence a round in 1963. Sounds exactly what Tom Doak is advocating when I come to think of it.

I tell you..... it was much more exciting than the cow fields (literally cow paddocks not a Sam Sneadism!) I had hitherto hit golf balls in up to that time!

Cheers Colin

Colin

Played it a few years ago and its a lot of fun. From memory its a Willie Park redesign where he created two courses out of one. Could be wrong but will check and get back to you.

Back on topic and at the risk of upsetting Melvyn, I would suggest Old Tom wasn't the top man mainly because by the time the game started booming round the country and abroad, a lot of his designs had been remodelled or fallen by the wayside. Someone like James Braid was likely to have been much more of an influence given the amount of courses he had his fingertips on and the fact that he was the equivalent of a signature gca back then. Having said that, how do you compare him to someone like MacKenzie who designed iconic courses on several continents, that get ongoing exposure in way that the old guys couldn't even conceive of back then.

Niall

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2011, 01:57:23 PM »

Guys

‘Who did the most to encourage new golfers’

We all have our own opinions and reasons, mine is based upon, without Old Tom would Ross, Braid and a long list of others including CBM have played golf let alone looked at design.

So in answer to the question I say Old Tom.

Melvyn

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back