News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Chip Gaskins

A few questions about planning an Australian golf trip...
« on: September 24, 2011, 01:20:09 PM »
Thinking about making a trip down to Australia in November.  I have searched through many of the old threads looking for specific answers to a few questions, but many answers are dated and I suspect there is better info out there now for planning.

A few questions:

1) Should one ever think about driving along the coast from Sydney to Melbourne to see the country side or is it better to just fly and enjoy the cities more?  It looks to be a about 10-12 hours which we would do over two days.
2) Do you fly into Launceston or Hobart to get to Barnbougle, and then what is the best way to the course?
3) Anyone know when Royal Melbourne is opening back up after the Presidents Cup (ending Nov 20th) for visitor play?
4) Is St Andrews Beach still open?
5) Which is the best to see if we have a time for more golf in Melbourne: Commonwealth, Metro, Peninsula?
6) How big of a deal is it to miss Royal Adelaide if we are time constrained?
7) How is the weather in November?
8 ) Is the AFL season started yet, could we take in a match?

Thanks guys for any help!  

I am playing Yale with Scott Warren on Wednesday so I suspect he will help a bunch but would love to get everyone's thoughts...

Best,
Chip
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 01:34:00 PM by Chip Gaskins »

Sven Nilsen

Re: A few questions about planning an Australian golf trip...
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2011, 01:28:26 PM »
Only have answers for the first four.

1.  I think its a pretty long drive, better off driving the Great Ocean Road when you're in Melbourne.
2.  Launceston.
3.  No idea, but I would imagine pretty quickly as its the start of their summer.
4.  Yes.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2011, 01:42:48 PM »
1. It's a long drive and whilst scenic I'd spend a day in the Hunter Valley wine tasting or sightseeing in the Blue Mountains or drive the Great Ocean Road rather than driving such a long way.

2. Hobart is a long long way from Barnbougle

5. If you can afford the bucks play RM West or Kingston Heath again, you will understand the courses better and they are truly fabulous.

6. I really enjoyed RA but unless you are going to Adelaide for a specific reason such as visiting more wineries then it's a long way.

7. We bailed out of Tasmania in early November as it was pretty cold but we'd spent 3 months in the tropics until then so it may not have been that cold!

8. I went to opening weekend in March so unless the season is still running it will be too early.

9. Take lots and lots of cash, Australia hasn't been hit by the global recession and is very expensive.
Cave Nil Vino

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 02:23:16 PM »
Chip I've only been to Australia once so I’m sure my advice isn’t the most insightful you’ll receive.  I commented because wife and I are considering making the trip again this December for 2-3 weeks starting in Sydney then heading south.  Last time we went it was right after graduating from college, the exchange rate was in our favor, I didn't play golf and we went in June.  So this trip will be very different.  Our last trip started in Sydney and we drove up to Cairns.  We had a 4 week period of time so the driving time wasn't an issue and we both enjoy driving along seeing the sights.  The drive in my opinion is like driving Route 1 up the west coast as opposed to I-5.  If we had stayed only in Sydney, Brisbane and Cairns I wouldn't have realized what Australia was all about.  If you are making this a leisurely trip and have time I'd recommend driving (we flew back to Sydney from Cairns) but if you’re making the trip to play golf or on time constraints I'd recommend the flight. 

If my potential trip materializes we'll drive down to Melbourne from Sydney and then have talked about taking a Ferry to Tasmania where we will visit some family and play a little golf before flying back to Sydney to end our trip.

I can't really comment on anything else other than what an internet search will bring up.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 02:58:23 PM »
Chip.
I have never driven the coast road if you have the time it is worth driving. Narooma has a decent course with one famous cliffside par 3.
Lakes Entrance is supposed to be quite good as well.Both are on that road.
Fly to Launceston and rent a car.Alternatively fly Vortex air from Moorabbin Airoprt and land right at Barnbougle. Moorabbin is 5 minutes from Kingston Heath - it is more expensive but saves the hour and 20  mins drive and cost of a car.
Not sure about RM - but I assume quite soon after.
St Andrews is open.Ask for Rob Williamson.
See KH,Victoria,Peninsula,Woodlands,Metro and Commonwealth.
If you are time constrained spend an extra day in Melbourne.
Weather should be decent - windy perhaps.
The AFL final is next Saturday - and does not start again until March.

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2011, 03:00:41 PM »
Personally I'd hit the must-plays and make time for a few days here:

http://www.lizardisland.com.au/

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Matthew Rose

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2011, 03:28:20 PM »
Commonwealth and Metro are a pretty good sandbelt experiences, but they are not RM or KH. But they are more accommodating.... they were the only two clubs that answered my letter. I never heard from RM or KH and thus never got on.

The AFL season ends next week; it basically runs concurrent with the fall/winter there.

In November, it will be cricket, cricket, cricket.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2011, 04:18:43 PM »
Chip,

Royal Melbourne re-opens on November 26 for member play. Not sure if there is restrictions on visitors soon after. Let me know if you have troubles getting on to RM or Kingston Heath- I may be able to help you.

Also, if you're going to play St. Andrews Beach, see if you can have a look at the Moonah Course at The National.

Enjoy the trip!
Twitter: @BennyJarvis
Instagram: @bennyj08

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2011, 06:09:28 PM »
1) Should one ever think about driving along the coast from Sydney to Melbourne to see the country side or is it better to just fly and enjoy the cities more?  It looks to be a about 10-12 hours which we would do over two days.
Chip – I’d definitely fly takes just over an hour and beats the Hume or Princes Hwy slogs by miles. You can see scenery just by flying into Sydney. Sydney sights can be done in a day and Melbourne in half that time
2) Do you fly into Launceston or Hobart to get to Barnbougle, and then what is the best way to the course?
Launceston. Hobart is 2.5hrs to the south and Barnbougle is about 1hr north east of Launceston.
3) Anyone know when Royal Melbourne is opening back up after the Presidents Cup (ending Nov 20th) for visitor play?
Already answered
4) Is St Andrews Beach still open?
Yes – public access
5) Which is the best to see if we have a time for more golf in Melbourne: Commonwealth, Metro, Peninsula?
What’s your planned itinerary? Will help in answering that above.
I presume you have:
NSW
NSWGC
The Lakes

VIC
RM
KH
SAB

TAS
BD
LF

6) How big of a deal is it to miss Royal Adelaide if we are time constrained?
Not as big as missing the biggies in VIC / NSW / TAS
7) How is the weather in November?
Better than in summer – not as hot. For you - low to mid 70’s. Though with daylight saving should be great for golf.
8 ) Is the AFL season started yet, could we take in a match?
The current season finishes next week with a Grand Final between Collingwood & Geelong – should be  a cracker if you can get to see it on PAYTV (go Cats !). The preseason games start in Mar – so you’ll miss AFL. Domestic Cricket is about all you will get as we’re between sporting seasons at that time of year

Scott should be able to give you a good run down - say hi from me

Scott Warren

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2011, 06:14:31 PM »
KP -- NSWGC will still be doing its green renos in November. It's probably worth an afternoon walk-around and a beer upstairs in the clubhouse, I reckon.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 06:19:38 PM »
Scott

Forgot about that but the walk should still be done - agree

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 05:55:04 PM »
Thanks for all the answers, comments and suggestions! I got a lot of private messages as well...the spirit of GCA is alive and well and even more strong is the Aussie spirit. I am trying to sort out frequent flyer tickets and more importantly Royal Melbourne. With New South Wales closed I really want to make sure Royal Melbourne is possible...I would hate to fly to the other side of the planet and miss both those two...

So it looks like I would try and fly into Sydney for a few days (and try and walk New South Wales even if it is closed) and enjoy what many say is the most beautiful city in the world.  Then fly down to Melbourne and try to see all those great courses (with seeing Royal Melbourne being the key to the whole trip).  Then down to Barnbougle and Lost Farms. Then back home from Melbourne.

Sounds like renting a car in Melbourne and doing some driving around near the coast is good idea as is taking in some cricket.

Again, thanks for all the helpful info.

Chip

James Bennett

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 07:33:30 AM »
Chip

you have a good plan already, so well done.

Enjoy Sydney, the harbour and the blue mountains.  When you go to the blue mountains, take a jumper and a rain jacket - it will be at least 10 degrees farenheit cooler than Sydney.

Enjoy the golf in Melbourne, whether it be on the sandbelt, the mornington peninsula or the bellarine peninsula.  RM West, East and Kingston Heath are all special, but particularly RMW - it is a true cathedral of golf.

Enjoy Barnbougle and the two courses.  The suggestion to fly straight to the course from Moorabin is a good one, especially if you are time challenged.  If you are not, take the 'long road' (the most southern  of the three routes) from Launceston to Bridport, and then return on the most nothern route.  If you get to Hobart, see the MONA.

When you return next time and want to see some more countryside, spend a few days to drive the coast from Melbourne to Adelaide.  However, you need a lot of time to do this.

cheers

James B (Adelaide)
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2011, 10:03:18 AM »
Has anyone stayed in the new cabins at Lost Farm yet?

Evidently Lost Farm and Barnbougle Dunes are two different legal entities and are run separately?  I was trying to book 36 holes a day and do 18 in the morning at one course and 18 holes in the afternoon at the other, but it doesn't look like I can do that for their "day rate"?

Anyway, if anyone has stayed in both the Barnbougle and Lost Farm cabins, let me know which one your preferred.

Again, many many thanks for all the private messages about Australia and golf in Sydney/Melbourne.  I booked my return flight last night and waiting for enough frequent flyer miles to post in the next day or so to book my outbound flight.

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 11:13:29 AM »
Chip,

There are no cabins at Lost Farm.The rooms there are more like a hotel- and they are more expensive. Both are good and comfortable.It isn't like you will do anything else but sleep in them
They are run separately at the moment and it can be tricky to organise things between the two courses - but it all works out once you are there.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2011, 11:45:51 PM »
OK,I can't honestly say I believe this, but the accommodations between Lost Farm and Barnbougle are sold out for the day (Nov 24th) I have decided to fly from Washington DC to Tasmania.  So, does anyone know of other places to stay near the golf course(s)?  Barns or Tents are fine...  Hey, I am very much a hippy at heart....are there any crazy native creatures that would be dangerous if encountered at night, for instance in a sleeping bag?

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2011, 11:53:33 PM »
OK,I can't honestly say I believe this, but the accommodations between Lost Farm and Barnbougle are sold out for the day (Nov 24th) I have decided to fly from Washington DC to Tasmania.  So, does anyone know of other places to stay near the golf course(s)?  Barns or Tents are fine...  Hey, I am very much a hippy at heart....are there any crazy native creatures that would be dangerous if encountered at night, for instance in a sleeping bag?

Chip, the Bridport Pub is a 5 minute drive from Barnbougle. At $25 a night, you get what you pay for - not much! It's an option though.

Ben Jarvis

« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2011, 11:57:16 PM »
Here is a link to their website with contact details - http://www.bridporthotel.com.au/web/index.php

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 12:07:20 AM »
Chip,

"......are there any crazy native creatures that would be dangerous if encountered at night, for instance in a sleeping bag?" The Australian women fit that description perfectly but I am sure that is not what you are alluding to.

But...... if a brown snake is considered a crazy, native, dangerous creature then possibly!! But then I am simply "...the poor immigrant" and may be over-estimating the danger but I don't think so!  I'm sure Tom Doak and his crew must have seen a few and has John Mayhugh not photographed one on his travels?

Bridport would be where I would sling my swag.

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Mark_F

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 12:23:32 AM »
So, does anyone know of other places to stay near the golf course(s)?  Barns or Tents are fine...  Hey, I am very much a hippy at heart....are there any crazy native creatures that would be dangerous if encountered at night, for instance in a sleeping bag?

Chip,

Here are some links:

http://www.oldpierapartments.com.au/

http://www.bridairre.com.au/

http://www.platypuspark.com.au/

http://www.bridportbayinn.com.au/

Old Pier Apartments, Bridport Bay Inn and Platypus Park had vacancies for the 24th.

Matthew Delahunty

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 12:23:44 AM »
Chip,

Bridport Resort and Convention Centre is the best place to stay away from the courses. It's 5 minutes drive from Barnbougle.

http://bridportresort.com.au/

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 12:33:29 AM »
Perfect!  Thanks guys.  I suppose I am just surprised its completely full,  which is a good thing!

Hey, I would love something more authentic anyway, minus snakes of course!

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2011, 11:58:58 AM »
Looks like I might be driving from Sydney to Melbourne and swimming to Tasmania....Qantas just stopped all mainline operations (which I have tickets on :o

Can't be good timing with the Presidents Cup in a few weeks.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203687504577005043566080890.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Jud_T

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2011, 12:02:13 PM »
So that's why he chose Tiger.  For a ride over!
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Bill Brightly

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2011, 01:01:23 PM »
If you are in Sydney and need a good "non-golf" activity to kill a few hours, take a bus and make the Bondi to Cogee beach walk

http://www.allwaysaustralia.com/states/new-south-wales/bondi-to-cogee.php

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back