News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Ober

A few weeks back, I was visiting my son in Manhattan (he's a 2L at Columbia Law. Yes, I'm a proud papa), and we had the opportunity to play Paramount Country Club in New York as guests of Misters Lapper and Polakoff. Unfortunately, on our third hole, my mother called with some awful news: My father has terminal lung cancer. Needless to say, the rest of the round (and the last several weeks) was kind of a blur. We had an absolutely wonderful time, though I wish I remembered more of the details of the course.

We played with a couple nice gentlemen, "Doc," and Jeff, and the course was in fine shape, though still quite soggy from the rain (though I must say the course drains very, very well because I had heard that there was a two-day deluge preceding our round!). The greens, while very true, were on the slow side due to the rain, but even with the modest speed, the greens were a real treat to putt due to severe pitch on so many of them.

We ended up staring on the fifth(?) hole, but we played 1-4 after 18 to complete our round.

Some things that stood out to me about the course:

1) The greens! I really liked the simplicity of the greens, combined with the (sometimes) extreme pitch from back to front. They were difficult to read for me! I also liked how you rarely seemed to have a straight putt unless you were directly under the hole on most holes.

2) The par 3's. Varied and interesting, My favorites: the long, downhill 13th; and the quirky 3rd, with a truly great green complex. It's kind of 2-tiered, but with a really cool fall-off collection area in the back. Very well done.

3) I also loved the whole clubhouse set up. Very cool and "old school." Loved the big putting green out front also, though it's nothing like the greens on the course! LOL!

4) I remember also really liking the 6th hole's green complex. The pin was front/center that day, and I missed just short of the green and was left with a very difficult little pitch, which I butchered, and made bogey.

So sorry I don't remember more of that day, Steve! Hope you understand! :-)

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Paramount Country Club in New York (formerly Dellwood Country Club)
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 12:49:12 PM »
I hope to be there in early October.

Here's a prior thread:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,46017.0.html
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 04:13:48 PM »
I also think it's a wonderful place for golf.  Nice topography, really nice views into High Tor Park too.  I thought #2 was a very cool, traditional downhill par 5 (we don't have enough downhill par 5s).  PS - Very sorry about your father.  I hope you all find peace.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 07:16:49 PM »
A few weeks back, I was visiting my son in Manhattan (he's a 2L at Columbia Law. Yes, I'm a proud papa), and we had the opportunity to play Paramount Country Club in New York as guests of Misters Lapper and Polakoff. Unfortunately, on our third hole, my mother called with some awful news: My father has terminal lung cancer. Needless to say, the rest of the round (and the last several weeks) was kind of a blur. We had an absolutely wonderful time, though I wish I remembered more of the details of the course.

We played with a couple nice gentlemen, "Doc," and Jeff, and the course was in fine shape, though still quite soggy from the rain (though I must say the course drains very, very well because I had heard that there was a two-day deluge preceding our round!). The greens, while very true, were on the slow side due to the rain, but even with the modest speed, the greens were a real treat to putt due to severe pitch on so many of them.

We ended up staring on the fifth(?) hole, but we played 1-4 after 18 to complete our round.

Some things that stood out to me about the course:

1) The greens! I really liked the simplicity of the greens, combined with the (sometimes) extreme pitch from back to front. They were difficult to read for me! I also liked how you rarely seemed to have a straight putt unless you were directly under the hole on most holes.

2) The par 3's. Varied and interesting, My favorites: the long, downhill 13th; and the quirky 3rd, with a truly great green complex. It's kind of 2-tiered, but with a really cool fall-off collection area in the back. Very well done.

3) I also loved the whole clubhouse set up. Very cool and "old school." Loved the big putting green out front also, though it's nothing like the greens on the course! LOL!

4) I remember also really liking the 6th hole's green complex. The pin was front/center that day, and I missed just short of the green and was left with a very difficult little pitch, which I butchered, and made bogey.

So sorry I don't remember more of that day, Steve! Hope you understand! :-)

David,

Of course I understand!! No worries whatsoever! I just sent you an e-mail and your family will be in my prayers.
Take care and good luck. Hope to meet that legal scholar son of yours some day...not on the other side of the bench (unless he's arguing against my nephew in front of the USSC!!
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Paramount Country Club in New York (formerly Dellwood Country Club) New
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 10:39:58 AM »
My wife and I had the opportunity to play Paramount a few days ago on a beautiful fall day. I was impressed with the course and the club. I spoke with Brian Chapin, the course superintendent, after the round and praised his work with the course given the heavy rainfalls of the last few months and the recent green aeration. The course is fun to play beginning with the tee shot on the first hole as a public  road comes into play and then the approach to the elevated green. Unfortunately, the par5 downhill  second hole was under construction but this hole will be a winner when finished. Here is a pic of some fairway bunker work in progress by Jim Urbina's crew:

I really liked the cross bunkers on the par4 fourth hole:

Paramount features generous fairways, interesting green complexes and greens with character and a good mix of holes. Even though the greens were wet and recently aerated, there was still pace to them given their internal contours and,from above the hole, still dangerous.
I look forward to a return visit when fast and firm returns. Thanks again Steve Lapper.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 10:43:18 AM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back