News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

H'cane Irene
« on: August 27, 2011, 06:08:31 PM »
Please head out to sea.  This from where I live, at 5:30 PM EST.

For those with an iPhone or iPad, pressing the Home and power buttons simultaneously generates a screen grab, stored in the saved folder of iPhotos.  Navigate there, then send the tiff by e-mail to yourself.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 06:32:06 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

David Harshbarger

Re: H'cane Irene
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 06:10:05 PM »
+1
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 06:37:17 PM »

I hope all in the USA are kept safe and well.

Will be thinking of all you guys  over the next few hours and hoping that while damage will no doubt be done, I pray to God that he keeps the loss of life to zero.

Opinions are just that, opinions but life is just too precious, please do not take any risks, countries are not as fragile as their citizens.

Be dry, be warm but most of all be safe and stay alive..

Melvyn 

Tim Martin

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 07:54:20 PM »
Joe-Based on that graphic and all the current data the eye should pass directly over my bedroom window in West Hartford Connecticut about 2:00 pm. tomorrow. I played golf this morning in Southern Vermont where the weather was perfect and no hint of Irene in sight. I believe that ship has sailed.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 07:58:15 PM »
Joe-Based on that graphic and all the current data the eye should pass directly over my bedroom window in West Hartford Connecticut about 2:00 pm. tomorrow. I played golf this morning in Southern Vermont where the weather was perfect and no hint of Irene in sight. I believe that ship has sailed.

Tim, I'm reading where the storm is still very dangerous, but perhaps it has lost a few yards off the tee.  I sure hope so.  I might visit a course or two of interest to me in the morning to see how they are doing.

Tim Martin

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 08:08:21 PM »

Tim, I'm reading where the storm is still very dangerous, but perhaps it has lost a few yards off the tee.  I sure hope so.  I might visit a course or two of interest to me in the morning to see how they are doing.

Isn`t there something fairly close to you over on Ardmore Ave? I think someone famous designed it.  I`m trying to remember if is was Wilson, Flynn or no wait a minute was it Mcdonald? ;) Anyway wherever you go please report back. Thanks.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 08:15:15 PM »
1. The worst winter in quite some time, with more than 1 blizzard.
2. An earthquake within the last week.
3. Now a hurricane.

I'm about ready to move to the desert....or San Diego.

Jason Walker

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 08:35:23 PM »
yesterday I was reminded by a good friend a statement I made about a year ago on why I, as a native Southerner, loves living in the Philly area so much.  "close to the ocean, close to big cities, great golf, and NO NATURAL DISASTERS like tornadoes, earthquakes, or hurricanes".  Picked up all three in the last six weeks.

Jason Walker

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2011, 09:25:57 PM »
gotta say, was just out on my front porch....can only imagine what this storm is going to do to my town, Haddonfield, NJ, that is essentially an arboretum.  We're not even close to the meat of this thing and I already have branches down and the big trees are a' swayin'!

Rick Sides

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 09:35:47 PM »
Listening to the rain pour off my roof and worst is yet to come.  Can't imagine what this will do to golf courses in area that have already had a ton of rain this month and will pick up over 12 inches tonight!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2011, 10:19:02 PM »
I hate to rain on parade, but unless someplace like Maidstone gets some serious tidal flooding, this storm is not much. Only those impacted by high tides and surge in low lying areas have a problem. The winds are not that big a deal.

Jason Walker

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2011, 10:27:05 PM »
Tiger-
no need for you to rain on my parade, I have plenty here already.  I'm down one tree already in my yard, I have probably a dozen decent size limbs that I can see, my backyard patio is flooding, and my neighbor has two 50 ft+ trees with scotch elm disease that I'd rather not see crash through my roof.  And they say the 'eye' will pass by in about nine hours.  I could give a rat's ass about Maidstone.

Jason Walker

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2011, 10:37:09 PM »
wettest August on record as of Friday, plus this hurricane and its 9-12 inches of rain--can't even imagine what a Philly-area golf course is going to look like come Sunday afternoon.  Exactly what you said Rick.  :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 11:11:29 PM by Jason Walker »

Sam Morrow

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2011, 11:06:29 PM »
I hate to rain on parade, but unless someplace like Maidstone gets some serious tidal flooding, this storm is not much. Only those impacted by high tides and surge in low lying areas have a problem. The winds are not that big a deal.

Folks from your parts are veterans at these little storms.

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2011, 11:37:07 PM »
Wow!

It's coming down huge right now in Princeton, NJ. Winds are not a factor so far, yet my power is starting to go in and out.

I'm worried that the huge water we are seeing will set us up for major tree loss when winds eventually kick in.

Hoping for the best for my property, yet the storm could make some major improvements as far as tree removal on the golf course.

Power is flashing in and out ...... Oh No!...

And what ever happened at Plainfield?

« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 11:43:10 PM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 09:32:26 AM »
I hope others in the path are as lucky as we were in the western PHL 'burbs.  I wouldn't say we came out unscathed, but all in all not bad.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 09:47:49 AM »
Just saw pics on Ch. 3 of the submerged  Whitemarsh Valley CC.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2011, 10:34:30 AM »
We call these cat 1 storms tree pruners. Mother nature is just doing its work. Most of the trees would not go down if pruned and cleaned up. although water oaks and other trees with shallow root systems do go down easy. I have a lady next door who will not take care of her trees. I end up ding them for her every 3 years just to avoid one coming down on me when it is not desired.

Brad Klein

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, 10:35:11 AM »
Got some extensive middle-of-the-night exercise moving +/-300 boxes of Donald Ross books onto a second level of pallets. Took some chess maneuvering to do it, but managed to raise and consolidate the loads after I saw some water in the garage during the leading edge of the storm. Irene is now set to pass right overhead here in Bloomfield, Ct, though at much diminished capacity. Anyway, I'm glad those books are all shrink wrapped.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 10:39:03 AM »
While I'm sure there are some pockets of nasty damage....

...it would seem to be yet another over-done, over-hyped, over-everything from the media/talking heads.

Your news coverage just ain't complete unless they are scaring the hell out of everyone over some natural disaster or another!  :-\

Brad Klein

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 10:52:09 AM »
Kalen,

Don't know where you are located but from here on the East Coast I think they got it largely right.

I'm always suspicious, too, of storm overhype, but the media also happened to get most of their facts right as to the genesis, speed, direction and force of this one. Okay, maybe CNN  overdid sit some, but not The Weather Channel and not the NYT and the local papers. The storm has dissipated some, as it always does, once it touched land, but I can assure you it has been incredibly powerful and very close to apocalyptic along coastal area. Unfortunately, that will mean the media will feel justified in playing up the next one, but every once in a while even, if by accident or luck, they get it right.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 10:54:52 AM by Brad Klein »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2011, 11:06:08 AM »
Brad,

I'm not in the area, but I can't even turn on the TV without hearing about it.  I've heard everything from "The Perfect Storm" to "100 year storm", to "The entire east coast is screwed" kind of language.

Yet oddly enough I'm not seeing any apocolyptical pictures with the newscasts...and I know the press would be all over them if they existed.  ;)

P.S.  I did see one pic of a boat grounded on a beach....which one would expect to happen in any hurricane right?  Even the mere garden variety types?  ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2011, 11:10:11 AM »
BTW..

Glen Beck claimed the storm is a "blessing"....

....so it can't be that bad right?    :)

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/08/27/2011-08-27_glenn_beck_exfox_news_host_hurricane_irene_is_a_blessing_from_god.html

Jaeger Kovich

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2011, 11:46:30 AM »
kalen - I was evacuated twice (rightly so) and my best option tonight is going back to battery park city tonight because my apt is in a no drive zone, where its flooded and has a threat of electrocution... Do me a favor and keep your useless comments to yourself, nobody appreciates it even with the stupid smilies you add in at the end. Please give me a my fellow east coasters be in peace, so I can check in on one of my favorite websites and then go back to work hopefully Tuesday to repair damage at golf courses all over NJ, NY and PA. Thanks

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2011, 12:14:00 PM »
Joe,

Over 165 trees down in Fairmount Park, home of our beloved Cobbs Creek. Maybe the Big Guy picked the right ones! The Surekill River is suppossed to flood,with the crest expected to be 5-10 feet above flood stage, the worst since the 1800s. Hang tough, my hearty, Northeast GCA brethren, calmer days are ahead. It could have been far worse. Imagine what a Cat 3-5 could have inflicted and you'll appreciate what we in Florida and the Southern coastal states experience all too frequently.

Be cautious when you are driving or walking the next few days, as many cracked tree limbs or trunks won't fall just during the storm, but give way or shake loose in the aftermath. Radnor Township, PA. had a trail walker killed by a large limb earlier this year from a large limb that just fell out of a tree in perfect weather, after having broken off just a couple of days earlier. The leaves were shrunken, but still very green to confirm that. Stay alert.

Be safe,

Kris 8)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 01:00:57 PM by Kris Shreiner »
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back