News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brent Carlson

Re: The worst course to ever host a Major.
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2011, 08:17:48 PM »
Whistling Straights and Valhalla were pretty bad.

What's so bad about Whistling Straits?  Both PGAs there have been darn exciting to watch.  I've played the course once and it was very strong and fun to play.  There was only one hole that I didn't like, #5.  Plus the course is eye candy; perfect for a major.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2011, 08:23:37 PM »
Not sure what it is/was like as a championship venue, but as a golf course, Sahalee must be among the worst.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2011, 08:25:32 PM »
Not sure what it is/was like as a championship venue, but as a golf course, Sahalee must be among the worst.

Good point. I change my vote--just too narrow.

Mac Plumart

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2011, 09:00:22 PM »
AAC kicks Congressional's ass on any given day and twice on Sunday.  Anyone who says AAC is the worst is clearly NOT "one of the finest minds in golf."

Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Jason Walker

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2011, 09:01:17 PM »
beat me to the post Mac.  Thanks.

It's preposterous to even be in the discussion. 

mike_beene

« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2011, 09:11:23 PM »
how is it a good course when I  keep expecting a beverage cart to drive up?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2011, 09:17:01 PM »
AAC kicks Congressional's ass on any given day and twice on Sunday.  Anyone who says AAC is the worst is clearly NOT "one of the finest minds in golf."

I would take a membership at Congressional over AAC everyday of the week.

jonathan_becker

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2011, 09:17:24 PM »
I'll throw in a third vote for PGA National.  

Wayne Freeman

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2011, 09:47:32 PM »
I vote for Northwood CC in Dallas.  Julius Boros won the U.S. Open there in 1952 with a 1 over score...... winner's purse $4000

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2011, 10:21:12 PM »
It most certainly isn't Valhalla or Whistling Straits IMO. Those are perhaps among the more interesting PGA sites of recent years. Kemper Lakes is the weakest of the ones I've played.

A plan for a removation of Kemper Lakes was announced Thursday. Rebunkering throughout, some new greens, some realigned tees. Rick Jacobson will do the work.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Sam Morrow

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2011, 10:40:59 PM »
I vote for Northwood CC in Dallas.  Julius Boros won the U.S. Open there in 1952 with a 1 over score...... winner's purse $4000

What does the purse have to do with it? Julios Boros was a fine player, won another major in Texas. That said Northwood is pretty weak for having held an Open.

PCCraig

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2011, 10:46:16 PM »
It most certainly isn't Valhalla or Whistling Straits IMO. Those are perhaps among the more interesting PGA sites of recent years. Kemper Lakes is the weakest of the ones I've played.

A plan for a removation of Kemper Lakes was announced Thursday. Rebunkering throughout, some new greens, some realigned tees. Rick Jacobson will do the work.

Renovation work??? Already??

Kemper is right up there for worst course to host a major. 

Keller GC in MN is a fine muni and TWO time PGA host but in it's current state it's not nearly as good as Kemper. So maybe that's a better nomination.
H.P.S.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2011, 10:47:23 PM »
I played Cedar Crest (27 PGA) a couple of months ago and nominate it for worst course I've played in 2011.

Phil McDade

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2011, 11:00:47 PM »
But I think the operative thinking here is (or should be) -- worst course to host a major when it held the thing. Hazeltine by all reports is a much better course than it was in 1970. Presumably some courses don't age well. Atlanta, for my tastes, looks much worse than what I recall from 10 years ago when Toms won.

mike_beene

« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2011, 11:11:11 PM »
at the time it held the US Open,north wood was only four years old.Hard to believe there was much to the Northern part of the property.But let's stay in Dallas and go with DAC Blue and the 62 or 63 PGA. pretty good course now that Nicklaus redid it but it was pretty plain and treeless then.Some courses need a little shade.My guess is it made the original Hazeltine look like Sand Hills.

mike_beene

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2011, 11:12:48 PM »
Sam,was the PGA a major in 1927?

Sam Morrow

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2011, 11:18:32 PM »
Sam,was the PGA a major in 1927?

Hagen gets credit for all those majors. I wasn't around and it's early am in Scotland so Melvyn can't tell us what it was like in 27.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2011, 11:20:39 PM »
Can't say it if you haven't played it. Only fair. I dont like it on tv but that's a pretty lame complaint.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Sam Morrow

« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2011, 11:23:36 PM »
Can't say it if you haven't played it. Only fair. I dont like it on tv but that's a pretty lame complaint.

85% Of this site consider it enough to just have seen it on TV.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2011, 11:24:37 PM »
at the time it held the US Open,north wood was only four years old.Hard to believe there was much to the Northern part of the property.But let's stay in Dallas and go with DAC Blue and the 62 or 63 PGA. pretty good course now that Nicklaus redid it but it was pretty plain and treeless then.Some courses need a little shade.My guess is it made the original Hazeltine look like Sand Hills.

I like DAC a lot, but looking at the aerials in the clubhouse it's pretty amazing what the place looked like in 63 but Jack won that major so it must be good.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2011, 11:30:43 PM »

Congressional has better internal green contours and more diverse holes, though its shorter.  PGA National, Kemper lakes, then medinah
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Sam Morrow

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2011, 11:31:19 PM »

Congressional has better internal green contours and more diverse holes, though its shorter.  PGA National, Kemper lakes, then medinah

Jay have you ever been to Sahalee?

Niall C

« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2011, 05:39:11 AM »
As far as the Open is concerned it has to be Musselburgh. A basic nine holer with some good fun golf but not necessarily great golf. However being bottom of the list doesn't make it a bad course, and it is good fun to play.

Niall

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2011, 07:28:32 AM »
Worst ever?  AAC, home of this year's PGA. 

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2011, 08:24:53 AM »
I seem to recall Medinah getting a bit of stick when it has hosted things in the past. I've never been there, so I can't comment, but some of you will be able to.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back